Barge poles

Featured Posts

I'm currently repairing and repainting Falcon's roof and this gives me a great opportunity to re-site the brackets which carry the pole and plank etc.

In it's current position near the middle it interferes with the opening of the escape hatch top door. It also gets dislodged sometimes when I'm using the middle rope to moor up. Is there a "proper" place to site the pole? Should it be up the pointy end where the crew can reach it or near the standy-on end where the idiot who ran the boat aground in the first place can reach it? :captain:

You can get brackets that have a strong magnet at the bottom. You can then move at a whim!

Hi. Dunno if you can provide a link for those please. I am interested in getting a set for my boat and I have been googling for ages. So far the only listing I can find is on Ebay linked from Google Images. The search criteria I am enetering is "Magnetic barge pole brackets" Unfortunately when I follow the link I cannot find said brackets.

Hi. Dunno if you can provide a link for those please. I am interested in getting a set for my boat and I have been googling for ages. So far the only listing I can find is on Ebay linked from Google Images. The search criteria I am enetering is "Magnetic barge pole brackets" Unfortunately when I follow the link I cannot find said brackets.

Screw a couple of these to your pole EBay, and stick it to the roof

Alex

Here ya go...

Http://www.atlantaboats.co.uk/shop.html

Edited by Robbo

I'm currently repairing and repainting Falcon's roof and this gives me a great opportunity to re-site the brackets which carry the pole and plank etc.

In it's current position near the middle it interferes with the opening of the escape hatch top door. It also gets dislodged sometimes when I'm using the middle rope to moor up. Is there a "proper" place to site the pole? Should it be up the pointy end where the crew can reach it or near the standy-on end where the idiot who ran the boat aground in the first place can reach it? :captain:

Personal preference is at the sharp end where it's most likely to be needed - you can move the other end about with the prop. Whatever you do don't lay it against the handrail where it can cause you to lose grip and fall in.

Personal preference is at the sharp end where it's most likely to be needed - you can move the other end about with the prop. Whatever you do don't lay it against the handrail where it can cause you to lose grip and fall in.

We have a barge and a shorter pole at the front (for the wife) and a short pole and boathook at the back.

We have a barge and a shorter pole at the front (for the wife) and a short pole and boathook at the back.

Just why do people feel the need for these poles and planks.

Not only do I consider poles to be very dangerous, in 10 years of boating around the whole system I might have had need to used a pole twice and a boarding plank three times.

Alex

Hi all

I fail to see how a long shaft can be considered dangerous. I use ours from time to time to assist in winding or getting unstuck and I'm of the opinion that ropes and shafts can execute manouevres more efficiently than a roaring engine and associated "white water rafting" that I see often.

I've made a couple of wooden supports on rubber feet that house the 16' long shaft and 6' gangplank. As they're not fixed I can site the whole lot wherever I please on the roof. Working boats carried long shafts as standard equipment and what was good enough for the experts of yesterday is good enough for me!

Cheers

Dave

You have a short pole to fend off your wife? :o Have you considered counselling?

Never mind counselling....have you not considered the longer pole?

Just why do people feel the need for these poles and planks.

I very rarely use a long shaft but, on each occasion I have, it has proven its worth.