Have taken advice and booked another holiday

TiptopTray

Featured Posts

Hello Everyone,

I posted a few weeks ago as a newbie and have taken everyones advice and have booked another holiday! Any excuse eh!!

Our first was for 3 nights in May, this one is for 7 nights on the 16th July. It's a smaller berth, our initial holiday being a 10 berth for 4 adults and 2 kids. This one is a 4 berth. We'll be heading from Cheshire Cat cruising up through Nantwich and then along the Llangollen Canal. Very excited, but, if anyone's got the time I would greatly appreciate a heads up on which pubs are most kid friendly, decent pint, food etc.. Are there any secret fantastic food shops along the way (although last time I just craved sausages the whole time)? Anything not to be missed?

Any top tips for 'essentials'? Whats the view on disposable bbq's? Tips on the canal itself - any tricky bits? I've no doubt I'll be trawling through the forums over the next few days for lock advice etc.. We only had to do one last time...

Also, I was very aware of our complete ignorance last time... Any advice for not upsetting the more experienced of you? Is there any specific polite etiquette of the cut? I'm sure contiually bumping the next barge along when attempting to moor a 62fter for the first time can go down as a no-no!! Eventually the chap came out and lent some muscle... all the more reason for getting the bug. People with patience and manners still exist :D

Many thanks to you all out there - I have tried to research it a bit on the t'internet but can't find much.

Hope you're all enjoying this wonderful weather B)

Tiptoptray

Any top tips for 'essentials'? Whats the view on disposable bbq's?

Glad you have clearly got the bug, you are well on the way now to selling some essential organ in order to buy your own boat. :lol:

There will be others more familiar with your chosen route but as to the BBQ issue - I don't rate disposable BBQ's at all - the coals are far to close to the food.

Do what we did when we used to hire and get yourself a cheapy little bucket BBQ £5 from Tesco and chuck it out at the end of the holiday.

IMG_0101.jpg

1/

They are not barges!! Those are those nasty wide things you find on some northern canals and some rivers. :P You will be in a NARROW BOAT!!

2/

If you meet anyone from this forum you must enter the nearest pub and buy them a drink. :cheers:

Just one tip if your going on the Llangollen.

Remember it will take longer heading towards Llangollen than it does coming back, as you are going against the flow heading towards Llangollen.

Can't help with the kid friendly pubs as we don't have kids, but there is a very good fudge shop in Llangollen itself lol.

But for food I recommend the Narrowboat in by bridge 5w, got a very good steak and chips there, but can't say if they are kid friendly

Graham Davis!!!

School girl error!! narrow boat, narrow boat, narrow boat......

- it would be an absolute joy to buy any of you a drink (goes off to raid eldest son's money box....)

Thank you Muddy Waters....

My boys behave themselves for a decent steak!

TiptopTray ;)

1/

They are not barges!! Those are those nasty wide things you find on some northern canals and some rivers. :P You will be in a NARROW BOAT!!

I've been called a barge twice today, both times at Shepperton Lock, the offending parties were politely corrected.

Say hello if you pass us...we will be out and about on the Llangollen during that week also, as for Pubs (don't have a vast experience yet) - ones I have heard are decent include: Jack Mytton (http://www.jack-mytton.co.uk/), Cotton arms (Wrenbury), Poachers pocket (Chirk)

martin

Mad Jacks very good. The Telford in Trevor also very good.

We've not been on the Llangollen for a few years but I always used to go to the Barn Shop just by bridge 45 at Whixall Moss. Eggs, bacon, black pudding (all from local producers) and the lady made her own home cooked pies and cakes. Lovely stuff. Don't know whether she's still there but I hope so! Easy mooring too.

Also, I was very aware of our complete ignorance last time

but you will not be this time. ;)

You have experience and no other boater will be able to tell anyway, we all get it wrong some time, just have an air of

" I knew that was going to happen and is precisely what I wanted to do" ;)

I am sure you will be fine just relax.

Just one tip, when coming back from Llangollen, stop the boat just before you go under the bridge (Trevor) to do a right turn for the aqueduct. The flow will spit the boat across the canal to hit the far bank.

I knew about it and still hit the bank. :(

Edited by bottle

but you will not be this time. ;)

You have experience and no other boater will be able to tell anyway, we all get it wrong some time, just have an air of

Just one tip, when coming back from Llangollen, stop the boat just before you go under the bridge (Trevor) to do a right turn for the aqueduct. The flow will spit the boat across the canal to hit the far bank.

I knew about it and still hit the bank. :(

That's useful knowledge. Clearly it would be better to reverse out of the bridge holding the bow into the stream, then let the flow turn the boat towards the aqueduct

Richard

Where is the tongue in cheek smiley...

Are there any secret fantastic food shops along the way ...

Tips on the canal itself - any tricky bits?

You should stock up Here before you pick the boat up - fantastic quality!

Keep an eye on the boat when going up or down in the locks - they are narrower than most (which is why there is a sign saying lift your fenders at Hurleston - last time I was there a boat got jammed trying to get in to the bottom lock ... because he had not lifted his fenders). Your boat will not have fenders but a bit of wood (or someone else's fender that has been ripped off) could get between the boat and the lock wall and cause problems.

There is a strong current from the bywash at most locks (it is usually on the right hand side when goint towards Llangollen) - best to keep a few revs on and aim slightly to the right of the lock as the bywash current will move the boat to the left immediately before entering the lock chamber.

The mechanised swing bridge at Wrenbury (great village with a shop and two pubs) is tricky as it is set at an angle so you should line up carefully rather than sticking the nose in the gap then finding you have to swing the back end through 45 degrees before you can move forwards!

I agree with all three pubs mentioned by boots. Have a great time!

That's useful knowledge. Clearly it would be better to reverse out of the bridge holding the bow into the stream, then let the flow turn the boat towards the aqueduct

Richard

Where is the tongue in cheek smiley...

Now Richard you're just being silly, even if you did reverse out you would still hit the far bank but with the stern instead :P

Edited by bottle

Now Richard you're just being silly, even if you did reverse out you would still hit the far bank but with the stern instead :P

No, I can oppose the flow with the engine and ferry-glide neatly out of the bridge, flip the rudder across to start the stern turning, take the stream on the side of the bow and then make a neat entry into the aqueduct.

I'm more concerned at having to reverse all the way from Llangollen to be able to achieve this elegant manoeuvre :blink:

Richard

I came through Hurleston locks a few weeks ago. The queue to go up the locks was a bit chaotic. You will be arriving from Nantwich direction, and Hurleston junction appears immediately after bridge 97. There were boats waiting on the towpath side just after the bridge waiting to ascend, but what confused me was that there were also some boats a few yards past the junction pointing towards Chester that were also waiting to go up Hurleston, they had come through bridge 97, been surprised by the queue, and had to continue a few yards towards Chester before they could pull into the towpath. They would have to reverse down the canal before going up Hurleston.

Just be prepared for the queue.

we all get it wrong some time, just have an air of

I take the view that things going wrong is the norm, then I can be inordinately pleased when they go right.