George Gibson

Priston

Featured Posts

George Gibson who has kept the services and boatyard at Honey Street retires and leaves Honey Street on July 11th.

George, a larger than life character, will be sorely missed. His moorings were once described as the best kept on the system.

Please wish George well on my behalf Alan, I got to know him quite well when I worked the K&A trip boat at Bradford on Avon. He did the first BSS examination on our boat, but I lost touch after we moved the boat to the Midlands.

As you say, a larger than life character with plenty of salty stories to tell, he deserves a good retirement.

I first met George when we asked him to survey our first proposed boat purchase at Newbury. It was a Springer with a Lister engine. Before the boat was craned out he advised us not to bother as the engine is probably worth more than the boat. We didn't proceed with Silhouette. However when we found Tawny Owl, also at Newbury he surveyed on our behalf. A good bloke in my opinion.

Met his wife a couple of times when refuelling at Honey Street when passing. Given the chance I would certainly look after the moorings and the business as well as they did. however I am probably a couple of English pounds short and too late.

I wish him well.

Martyn

George has surveyed all our boats and we love him and his lovely long suffering wife Shela. I am sure he and his dog Piper will be sorely missed in the Barge at lunchtimes. We wish them good luck for the future and hope to see them often. Cathy, Robert and dogs 'Poshratz'. PS Whatever money you've got left George ''SPEND IT WISELY!!!''