Short Boat Kennet

Pluto

Featured Posts

If anyone is interested, we have set up a Flickr site for Short Boat Kennet, which has photos of the boat in operation, both moving and when open to the public.

Kennet will be at Burscough this weekend 25/6 June, and at Crooke 2/3 July, next weekend. Afterwards heading for Worsley and drydocking at the beginning of August.

Do you have a link to that Flickr site Mike?

If anyone is interested, we have set up a Flickr site for Short Boat Kennet, which has photos of the boat in operation, both moving and when open to the public.

Kennet will be at Burscough this weekend 25/6 June, and at Crooke 2/3 July, next weekend. Afterwards heading for Worsley and drydocking at the beginning of August.

Thanks Carl.

If you click on the picture it takes you into slideshow mode, then you click on "view all sizes", it gives you a picture that you can then right click on and then click on "copy image url", in the usual way.

Lovely set!

My favourite:

Yarning!

5700371345_508687a32b.jpg

All images reserved!

That's Alan Holden, who worked for Canal Transport right at the end of commercial carrying over the main line of the L&LC, and who then went to work for the Bridgewater Department on the Kelloggs traffic, amongst others. His current boat is quite well-known up north, being a seven-feet-wide version of a L&LC short boat. As usual, he's chatting about canals.....

Is Kennet coming to Liverpool, as you are down this end of the canal? It would be nice to see it in the docks.

Not this year. After Burscough, we return to Crooke for a local event the following weekend, and then down to Paul Lorenz's yard at Leigh to remove everything from the hold before going on dock at Worsley. We are on dock provisionally from 31 July to 20 August for a survey and pressure washing, particularly underneath the floors in the hold which have not been up since Roger Lorenz did the original restoration for BW in 1985. Hopefully, the hull should not be too bad and only need the odd bit of welding, but there are several holes in the deck which do want repaired so that it is worth doing a good paint job. The exact amount of work will depend upon volunteer labour, and the results of our HLF bid, which should be announced next week. We have put in for £49500 for a three year programme of taking Kennet to events and places along the canal, together with maintenance and replacement of the hold covering framework - not original, but it allows much easier public access. So far this year, we have had around 3000 visitors over the ten days we have opened to the public. Many small museums don't get that in a year.

That's Alan Holden, who worked for Canal Transport right at the end of commercial carrying over the main line of the L&LC, and who then went to work for the Bridgewater Department on the Kelloggs traffic, amongst others. His current boat is quite well-known up north, being a seven-feet-wide version of a L&LC short boat. As usual, he's chatting about canals.....

A real nice guy that Alan Holden, I think I talked to him in the boatmans cabin of "Kennett" at the Skipton Waterways Festival for at least 1.5 hour, exchanging part of our different bargees lives.

I took a photograph of his lovely boat "Anna" for which he bought the single cilinder engine of forum member Andy "Travis".

1375494f2d1064885c4c4c551475659b.jpg

Peter.

A real nice guy that Alan Holden, I think I talked to him in the boatmans cabin of "Kennett" at the Skipton Waterways Festival for at least 1.5 hour, exchanging part of our different bargees lives.

I took a photograph of his lovely boat "Anna" for which he bought the single cilinder engine of forum member Andy "Travis".

1375494f2d1064885c4c4c551475659b.jpg

Peter.

I was intrigued with the boat "Anna" at Burscough today. Do you happen to know the history of this boat? Thanks.

Anna was built at Roger Lorenz's yard near Barton Tank about 1989 IIRC. Roger built a few boats around that time, one of them was mine, a 50 footer named Jack.

CCF14012010_00005-1.jpg

The engine I sold to Alan was an Armstrong Siddley AS1, 1947 vintage, a beauty of an engine.

We fitted a Lister HRW3 into Jack, only 1978 vintage but its still running like a (slightly noisey!) clock.

Incidientally, Jack, now named Jackdaw is on the market. Gas free, BMC, HRW3 and only two careful owners.

Andy

Anna was built at Roger Lorenz's yard near Barton Tank about 1989 IIRC. Roger built a few boats around that time, one of them was mine, a 50 footer named Jack.

CCF14012010_00005-1.jpg

The engine I sold to Alan was an Armstrong Siddley AS1, 1947 vintage, a beauty of an engine.

We fitted a Lister HRW3 into Jack, only 1978 vintage but its still running like a (slightly noisey!) clock.

Incidientally, Jack, now named Jackdaw is on the market. Gas free, BMC, HRW3 and only two careful owners.

Andy

I think he's now swapped it for another AS1.

So Jack is twin engined ? :D :D

Tim

Andy

Thanks for the info; Anna is a superb boat IMHO. Even SWMBO liked it ;)

Thanks for the info; Anna is a superb boat IMHO. Even SWMBO liked it ;)

I agree for 100%, she's very pretty, and you'll most likely never see another one like her, she's unique.

It's always nice to see a nice boat, but it's even better if the owner is a nice person too, which is definitely the case here.

Peter.

I was intrigued with the boat "Anna" at Burscough today. Do you happen to know the history of this boat? Thanks.

Alan Holden wanted a boat which looked like a L&LC short boat, but which could travel anywhere - even with the single cylinder engine, he has been up and down several tidal rivers. 'Anna' is Alan's idea of how a L&LC tug could have been built. I am surprised that no one else has had a similar boat built. With the prop right at the back, no weed hatch is needed and it is easy to get to anything around the prop. At the front, the rounded bow can be used to the full, with none of the wasted space usual on narrow boat bows. The whole design provides something which maximises space for a given length, while at the same time having a traditional shape.

Yes the boat Anna just looks right to me. The shape of course is very much at home on the LL, and the idea of a rearmost prop is appealing. I am very impressed indeed. I want one...

Edited by Guest

We went over the Pennines twice; 1983 & 1988. It was on the latter journey accompanied by two other boats we met with ANNA. This must have been very shortly after she was built:

General318.jpg

One more from that trip:

General317.jpg

By Lorenz's yard?

We went over the Pennines twice; 1983 & 1988. It was on the latter journey accompanied by two other boats we met with ANNA. This must have been very shortly after she was built:

General318.jpg

A few things have changed on "ANNA" since your photograph, the front deck has a raised section now, and he put a few extra storage boxes on.

The bow-fenders on your photograph looked better, I think, that it's a charming little boat that will make people look at her wherever she go's.

Peter.

Did the L&L guaging weight that we extracted from Chertsey's hold at Ellesmere Port and sent across the Mersey on Severn reach its final destination on Kennet Mike?

It is still waiting for us on Severn. We should meet at Leigh in a couple of weeks, but the transfer won't take place then as Kennet is going on dock. We will strip out the hold as we need to check the bilge plating inside, which has not been done properly since Kennet was restored for BW by Roger Lorenz in 1985. We should find out if we have HLF money this week.

Severn is going down the the Ship Canal on Saturday.

She will be down on the Weaver for the summer, the weight will be be safe with us until later on.

Tim