Short Boat Kennet

Pluto

Featured Posts

One more from that trip:

General317.jpg

By Lorenz's yard?

No that is Paul Lorenz's yard (Bedford Basin at leigh) 'Anna' was built inside the hold of L&L Ainscoughs boat 'Viktoria' at Roger's yard which was just north of the swing aqueduct at Barton, Eccles.

A few photos taken when my previous boat Jack was being built 1989/90 in the hold of Viktoria. Along side is moored Banstead, now restored and either Swallow or Swift ex Cowbourn and Cowpers. The guy working away is Colin.

CCF14012010_00018-1.jpg

Sorry if the photos are a little small, I scanned everything when we sold the house.

Andy.

The Cowpar boat alongside will most likely be David Lowe's Swallow.

Does anybody have any recent pictures of either Ambush or Viktoria? I've not seen either for a couple of years now.

The Cowpar boat alongside will most likely be David Lowe's Swallow.

Does anybody have any recent pictures of either Ambush or Viktoria? I've not seen either for a couple of years now.

Ambush at Burscough least weekend. Viktoria is at Crooke, where Ambush and Kennet will be this weekend, the latter open to the public.

5869046651_b7df66f7cd_b.jpg

A few photos taken when my previous boat Jack was being built 1989/90 in the hold of Viktoria. Along side is moored Banstead, now restored and either Swallow or Swift ex Cowbourn and Cowpers. The guy working away is Colin.

CCF14012010_00018-1.jpg

Sorry if the photos are a little small, I scanned everything when we sold the house.

Andy.

I see Viktoria regularly. I am curious why they built other boats inside the hold. To keep them parallel? A useful bit of space? Nowhere else to work? Combination of these things and more?

Ta.

I see Viktoria regularly. I am curious why they built other boats inside the hold. To keep them parallel? A useful bit of space? Nowhere else to work? Combination of these things and more?

Ta.

The yard at Barton had limited land space and by boat building inside 'Viktoria' the boat(s) could be moved next to the road where the crane could come in and launch them. Roger went on to build a floating drydock which did away with the crane, this is the dock that is now modified and in use at Brinklow.

The yard at Barton had limited land space and by boat building inside 'Viktoria' the boat(s) could be moved next to the road where the crane could come in and launch them. Roger went on to build a floating drydock which did away with the crane, this is the dock that is now modified and in use at Brinklow.

Thanks,I knew there would be a logical explanation! I will remember the story when I pass Victoria in future.

• 2 weeks later...

Kennet is currently at Bedford Basin, where everything is being removed from the hold. There was a work party today, and we expect to be on Worsley Dock at the beginning of August. Photos of today's work can be found on the Friends of Kennet Flikr site. One will be of interest to many on this forum, as it reflects on our Society discussions over cassette or pump out.

5937409873_5625952656_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

i live on narrow boat morse in holland and i have just recorded a 45 min docu about

the leeds and liverpool canal witch was mainly about alen and his beautiful boat anna .

it was shown on arte hd in germany.

cheers

rien

5869605496_eccb031052_b.jpg

The short boat Ribble, owned by the Lawson family, one of the many local boating families, at Burscough on Friday. Kennet and Ambush were also there.

It’s good to see a photo of Ribble looking so well. She was converted by BWB as the tripboat Fair Lady, and run by Paddy Walker in London. We bought her when Paddy built a replacement craft. We unconverted her, put on a new engineroom casing and used her for several civil engineering jobs. We also did a trial run of carriage of aggregates from Harefield-West Drayton, but Bucks CC policies prevented it at the time. The funny step shown in the photo is a remnant of her tripboat days.

We were really glad she went to the Lawsons when we sold her, given their historic connections with the craft.

-ribble.jpg

hi all

i live on narrow boat morse in holland and i have just recorded a 45 min docu about

the leeds and liverpool canal witch was mainly about alen and his beautiful boat anna .

it was shown on arte hd in germany.

cheers

rien

What was the name of this programm, the date and the time that it was showed on Arte in Germany, with these details, I can see if there's a possibility to see it on Arte reply.

Thanks in advance,

Peter.

Kennet will be going on dock at Worsley on the 31st July for two or three weeks for surveying and work on the hull. Volunteers will be repainting the hold and hull exterior, and will definitely be there on Thursdays 4 and 11, and Saturdays 6 and 13, should anyone want to come and see what we are doing. There will be people there on other days as well, but this will depend to some extent upon how much is achieved on the four days mentioned above. We are always looking for more volunteers to help, not just with repairs, but also moving the boat and for when we are open to the public. More general details can be found on the L&LC Society's web site, www.llcs.org.uk

Kennet on Worsley dock in 1985 when first converted to an exhibition boat by Roger Lorenz for British Waterways.

5980841404_3ca5ae11dd_z.jpg

There is also a series of photos of Kennet in 2010 on the Kennet Flikr site.

Thank you very much CanalWalker, it is the right link, but I can't get access to it right now, and hope that it will work at another moment, as I would very much like to see this programm.

Cheers,

Peter.

hi peter

i have the same problem with arte programs in holland

you need something like foxy proxi software so you can log in through a german server and arte will think you are logging in from germany.

regards

rien

Thursday, 4 August, and work continues on Kennet in Worsley drydock. There will be a working party on Saturday 6 August, if anyone is interested in seeing more of what is being done. You can even volunteer to help!

6008610971_01ac720993_z.jpg

The ballast tank is being repaired to stop pin hole leaks at the lower edge of the counter.

6009159996_1c6d4ac951_z.jpg

Descaling the inside of the ballast tank.

6009160454_86dbb7753f_z.jpg

A view of the inside of the ballast tank.

6008612189_15a1658d16_z.jpg

Descaling the steelwork in the hold.

Edited by Pluto

Press Release just authorised by HLF

4th August 2011

Heritage Lottery Fund gives a new lease of life to Leeds & Liverpool Canal Heritage Short Boat Kennet

The Leeds & Liverpool Canal Society's Kennet Project has been successful in applying for a Heritage Lottery Grant of £49.9K. The award will enable the Heritage Short Boat Kennet to be completely refurbished and create an Interactive Museum which will travel the length of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. Just as if taking a cargo, she will carry displays and information on the canal's heritage, and bring learning opportunities to local communities.

Kennet was sold by British Waterways to the Leeds & Liverpool Canal Society at the beginning of 2011, the Society having cared for her since 2008. She had been converted to an exhibition boat by British Waterways in 1985, but had been underused following cutbacks prior to 2008. In 2011, over the twelve days Kennet was open to the public, there were around 4,000 visitors - a good indication of the interest in the canal and its heritage.

The Kennet Project will see the boat completely refurbished, with improvements to access and the display area in the hold. Education material will be created using the unique history, heritage and traditions of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal - these include the traditional paintwork of the boats, and the design of the canal's architecture. Kennet will introduce the public to the type of boat once built for the canal. Today, narrow pleasure boats are what they usually see, so a traditional fourteen-feet-wide boat seems very unusual to many. Kennet is the only traditional boat on the canal which is regularly open to the public. An education strategy is being developed with British Waterways, for which HLF funding is most important. Based around working life on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, it will bring, in words and drama, the canal's story to schools, organisations and people along the Leeds & Liverpool Canal corridor. Traditional canal craft courses are also planned.

Conservation work has begun with Kennet in dry dock for three weeks in August, 2011. A full hull survey is being made, and the appropriate repair work carried out, followed by a protective coating being applied to both the inside and outside of the hull. This will be followed over the winter by the addition of ballast, the relaying of the hold floor, the replacement of superstructure and sheets, the repainting of the deck and cabins, and the addition of new services and displays. A “re-launch” is anticipated in mid-2012 – the 65th anniversary of Kennet’s original launch.

Commenting on the award:-

Harold Bond, Kennet Project Co-ordinator said:- “We are delighted that the award from the Heritage Lottery Fund will enable the Leeds & Liverpool Canal Society to save Kennet for future generations, and bring the opportunity for the communities along the Leeds & Liverpool Canal to find out more about its history and heritage, as well as providing suitable educational material for visits by local schools and organisations.”

Sara Hilton, Head of Heritage Lottery Fund North West, said: “We are delighted that HLF funding will enable this historic vessel to be conserved. Wider than that, the project will offer fantastic educational opportunities for all ages by bringing the story of the canal’s heritage to a wider audience.”

For further information about the Project & Volunteer Opportunities please contact -

Harold Bond, Kennet Project Co-ordinator, Leeds & Liverpool Canal Society on 01535 630597. Email: friendsofkennet at btinternet.com. Web www.llcs.org.uk.

Work on Kennet continued on Saturday, with most of the hull now being painted. A day or so's more welding is needed on the hull and engine room cabin, but the work which we hoped to undertake looks like being completed before Sunday 21st, when Kennet comes off dock. She will then return to Bedford Basin, Leigh, where around eight tons of ballast will be laid prior to the hold floor being replaced.

6040695863_574363f826_z.jpg

More photos on the Kennet Flickr site, see above for the address.