Erewash

Dyad

Featured Posts

tn_gallery_2955_663_154654.jpg

On the flyer tied to the tree "Boaters2Erewash". Made a nice changed to see some life on my little stretch of canal whilst out with the doggie.

Sorry about the poor pic quality but I only had my the phone on me.

Kev.

Edited by Dyad

came down the Erewash a couple of weeks ago, i thought the canal had vastly improved since 4 years previous when i was last on it, with the exception of the area around Mill St, which is inherently bad. We saw several boats moving, its nice to see it used!!

Dan

Unfortunately the Erewash suffers a bad rep.

Boats burnt out in Long Eaton a few yrs ago & Ilkeston yobs mean most folks stay away, also I guess that its a dead end mean it doesnt see too much traffic.

In all its a nice trip in fairness but the fact that in the vicinity there is the Trent , Soar & T&M most folks stay away - To be fair we mainly use the Erewash as a fuel stop as Petrol is available at the garage in Long Eaton waterside !

But give it a go - Its worth it - & if eventually (But doubtful in my lifetime) they manage to get the Derby Canal rewatered it will be a worthy cruising route

Unfortunately the Erewash suffers a bad rep.

Boats burnt out in Long Eaton a few yrs ago & Ilkeston yobs mean most folks stay away, also I guess that its a dead end mean it doesnt see too much traffic.

In all its a nice trip in fairness but the fact that in the vicinity there is the Trent , Soar & T&M most folks stay away - To be fair we mainly use the Erewash as a fuel stop as Petrol is available at the garage in Long Eaton waterside !

But give it a go - Its worth it - & if eventually (But doubtful in my lifetime) they manage to get the Derby Canal rewatered it will be a worthy cruising route

Been up and down it for the past 25 years, we've seen our fair share of problems, but it has got better, in time!

Dan!

Been up and back Thursday / Friday, and thought it was great. Clear water, little rubbish, graffiti and vandalism, friendly people. Much more rural than I thought it would be. The locks are a bit heavy though.

Richard

Been up and back Thursday / Friday, and thought it was great. Clear water, little rubbish, graffiti and vandalism, friendly people. Much more rural than I thought it would be. The locks are a bit heavy though.

Richard

You must have passed my mum and dad going up on Friday, towing!!

Richard

Forgot that bit - the water up there is way clearer than any other canal we have been along - the fish can be clearly be seen.

Forgot that bit - the water up there is way clearer than any other canal we have been along - the fish can be clearly be seen.

which is good, cos you can also see whats on the bottom! coming down a few weeks ago, i was able to see a coil of wire on the bottom in the middle of the channel just above Long Eaton Lock, saved me a midday dip getting that off the prop!!!!

Yes, slightly hairy as on one of the narrower sections with a substantial tree sticking out from the offside!

Richard

Sod's Law states that is where you will always meet something, that or bridges on blind bends!!!!

just been up and had the bottom blacked,nice canal its like boating on a aquarium!

I like that description, says it all and it's correct it really is!

The Erewash seems to have taken off this year.

The number of boats I've seen moored and moving is definately up.

The towpath and access points have been uprgraded and the whole environment is a lot more welcoming.

If you have time have a walk up to and possibly along the old Nottingham Canal between Trowell and Cossall.

It's a nature reserve, has nice views over the valley and there are remains of the old canal structures.

At the top now.

All I can say is BW need to get their fingers out, the lock mechanisms are in a terrible state, those that work are 'heavy' some of the conservation key locks work, some don't, paddles impossible to move.

We did meet the BW team doing their 'annual' inspection, going the other way.

At the next lock the one they must have been at 10 minutes before us, one of the paddle racks fell off and into the lock, did phone BW.

Yes the water is clear and you can see the bottom because in some places it is very near the top and as for all those waterlily. :angry:

We feel a sense of achievement in making it all the way but doubt we will do it again.

Edit: by the way the boaters christian fellowship (BCF) have had a rally on the canal in the last week, perhaps that is why it was busy.

Edited by bottle

At the top now.

All I can say is BW need to get their fingers out, the lock mechanisms are in a terrible state, those that work are 'heavy' some of the conservation key locks work, some don't, paddles impossible to move.

At the next lock the one they must have been at 10 minutes before us, one of the paddle racks fell off and into the lock, did phone BW.

Yes the water is clear and you can see the bottom because in some places it is very near the top and as for all those waterlily. :angry:

We feel a sense of achievement in making it all the way but doubt we will do it again.

Edit: by the way the boaters christian fellowship (BCF) have had a rally on the canal in the last week, perhaps that is why it was busy.

Nice post Keith - lets keep the rif raf out eh..

and to top it all my main (230v) isolator blew up (literally) last night. :angry:

Clearly the Erewash is cursed, we broke our domestic alternator bracket forging our way up there... :rolleyes:

ed to add totally completely unmistakably ironic roll eyes emotiocon

Edited by MJG

:o Does that mean its "Holy water" now ?

Clearly the Erewash is cursed, we broke our domestic alternator bracket forging our way up there... :rolleyes:

ed to add totally completely unmistakably ironic roll eyes emotiocon

My mate broke his fan belt at trent lock when he followed us down so maybe.........................

We sailed the Erewash in 2009,didnt meet many boats but found the clear water a novelty, will do it again but there was a distinct lack of canalside pubs and too many fisherman sat were we wanted to moor to do the locks. Found it pleasant apart from the odd rough spot and the dead dog in the canal at Long eaton! Hasnt put us off though!

At the top now.