60cm Satellite Dish On Offer

Biggles

Featured Posts

If your looking for a cheap salellite set up

Linky

Thanks, I'm in the market for a satellite dish. Is this a decent one - suitable for a boat? I've only ever used a standard TV ariel. So what else will I need to buy to set up this dish? (I already have plenty of good quality coax cable, suitable for satellite).

Thanks, I'm in the market for a satellite dish. Is this a decent one - suitable for a boat? I've only ever used a standard TV ariel. So what else will I need to buy to set up this dish? (I already have plenty of good quality coax cable, suitable for satellite).

Hi Mike,

It's a big dish at 60com. It's been discussed on here before that big dishes are more susceptible to loss of signal due to movement of the boat.

I was surprised that a really small dish turns out to be less so, but that is how it is seemingly..

(But at 25 quid....I'd take a punt...)

Hi Mike,

It's a big dish at 60com. It's been discussed on here before that big dishes are more susceptible to loss of signal due to movement of the boat.

I was surprised that a really small dish turns out to be less so, but that is how it is seemingly..

I've got the HD version installed at home and I've fitted one of these SD units at my in-laws. Works well. The kit included dish, brackets, LNB, 10m cable and the decoder with IR remote. Simple to set up - I used a satelite finder program on the net to give me a basic direction then worked from there. The user interface is a bit basic but it works ok. I was thinking about buying one for the boat and opening up the decoder to see if it could be converter to 12V operation since they're mains only.

Dish might be a bit big for a boat I agree, but £25.00? Live with it.

I agree my 30cm dish is very stable and seldom loses signal once locked on even if the boat rocks a bit.

Setting a dish up at first is a bit frustrating but once you have the hang of it its a piece of p*ss cake.

Hi Mike,

What diameter are most smaller dishes? 50cm? Is there any advantage to having a bigger dish?

I don't think my widebeam moves as much as a NB so it may be ok.

Edited by blackrose

Hi Mike,

A larger dish focus's more signal onto the LNB by concentrating the received signal into a narrower beam so its more susceptible to movement than a smaller dish giving weaker signal.

Its analogous to a torch light, the bigger reflector gives a narrower more powerful beam - smaller gives less powerful but wider beam so it doesn't have to be pointed so accurately.

A larger dish focus's more signal onto the LNB by concentrating the received signal into a narrower beam so its more susceptible to movement than a smaller dish giving weaker signal.

Its analogous to a torch light, the bigger reflector gives a narrower more powerful beam - smaller gives less powerful but wider beam so it doesn't have to be pointed so accurately.

So what's the point of a bigger dish exactly? In places where the reception isn't great, would a bigger dish recieve a signal when a smaller dish might not for example?

So what's the point of a bigger dish exactly? In places where the reception isn't great, would a bigger dish recieve a signal when a smaller dish might not for example?

As I understand it that is correct, hence the further you go south in Europe the bigger the dish you need to 'gather' the signal from the Astra satellites.

As I understand it that is correct, hence the further you go south in Europe the bigger the dish you need to 'gather' the signal from the Astra satellites.

Correct - in southern Spain I needed a 4 foot (120 cm) dish to receive Sky because it was just outside the satellites radiated footprint. This was bolted to the concrete quay I was moored to.

Edited by richardhula

Hi Guys...thats one hell of a big dish for the UK its ok if your in a motorhome home or caravan going into Europe will work in Most of france and parts of Spain....

I think it comes with a pole fixing kit so your going to sort out bracketry and a pole and the like....

What you need is a smaller dish that either fixes to the roof with a chunky magnetic mount or suction, smaller dish's are also easier to line up...

Martyn...

Hi Guys...thats one hell of a big dish for the UK its ok if your in a motorhome home or caravan going into Europe will work in Most of france and parts of Spain....

I think it comes with a pole fixing kit so your going to sort out bracketry and a pole and the like....

What you need is a smaller dish that either fixes to the roof with a chunky magnetic mount or suction, smaller dish's are also easier to line up...

Martyn...

I know nothing about the subject, but it seems to me that it's not a particularly big dish for the UK since I see dishes of this size and perhaps even bigger mounted on the walls of houses in the UK. However, it does seem to be a big dish for a boat - mainly in terms of aesthetics when mounted and storage when moving the boat.

I realise it's very cheap, but one only really gets good value when one buys something suitable. I don't want to buy a bargain for the sake of it, so I think I'll live with my ariel for the time being and wait until something smaller comes up at a good price.

Edited by blackrose

Thanks. I assume it's the set-top box itself that operates on 12v - the LNB doesn't requre a power source does it?

A set that operates on 12v and mains would be better than a standard set for me.

Not sure about the mounting arrangement though - is that a mag mount?

Edit: This looks to be the same sort of thing but cheaper and it has suction mounts (no sat finder though):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Complete-Portable-Digital-Satellite-System-2yr-Warranty-/150411019385?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D160575756517%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D731162219401326176

Edited by blackrose

Thanks. I assume it's the set-top box itself that operates on 12v - the LNB doesn't requre a power source does it?

A set that operates on 12v and mains would be better than a standard set for me.

Not sure about the mounting arrangement though - is that a mag mount?

Edit: This looks to be the same sort of thing but cheaper and it has suction mounts (no sat finder though):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Complete-Portable-Digital-Satellite-System-2yr-Warranty-/150411019385?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D160575756517%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D731162219401326176

The LNB gets it's power from the set top box - so will be fine on either 12V or 240v

As to the mount I'm sure either could be adapted to sit on a mag mount or pole which would be a better option than using the suction mounts which would probably struggle to stay stuck on a typical 'grippy' finish on a narrowboat/widebeam roof.

Edited by MJG

This one is a hundred quid but the dish is only 35cm - more suited to a boat.

eBay linky

ETA - works on 12V too...and a sat finder is included.

How long would the bottles of beer last in the crate if it was on the roof.....

But hey ho if it does the job,,,I could introduce it as an alternative mouting lol....

Martyn.....

How long would the bottles of beer last in the crate if it was on the roof.....

But hey ho if it does the job,,,I could introduce it as an alternative mouting lol....

Martyn.....

Both seem good value though set against some fully fitted systems, especially if you can tackle DIY fitting yourself.

Edited by MJG

Hi Mike,

A bigger mirror on a search light narrows the beam. It is the same with the dish, which means that you get a stronger signal but only if the alignment is spot on.

Nick

A bigger mirror on a search light narrows the beam. It is the same with the dish, which means that you get a stronger signal but only if the alignment is spot on.

Nick

Hey that's what I said in post #8 :D

One thing to bear in mind with these Ross Satellite Decoders is that the EPG is limited to 'Now & Next' & not the next 7 days as with the majority of receivers.

Not a problem if you buy a TV guide.

Just my two penneth worth.

Clivo