Single handed operation at locks.

hawkers

Featured Posts

Its just like letting your car (with a big soft bumper) roll slowly into a very strong garage - no harm done and it can only park its self frusty.gif

Alex

I actually park my car this way. I have a large mattress it rolls into.

snip

Narrow locks, leave the boat in gear, jump off at the bottom and use the paddle to stop the boat (easier with a deep drafted boat I admit), or going downhill leave it running against the bottom gates, and step on as the boat leaves the lock on its own!

Cheers,

Mike

Did you think this out? How are you going to open the bottom gate with sixteen ton or more of boat pressing against it underpower, however gentle that power may be? Edited by Maffi

I'd like to see you do Beeston Iron lock singlehanded.

Done it!

I agree - never had a problem using ladders.

Alex

I dont usually climb ladders unless there is no real option, but I think it was the Hatton flight where the distance between the rung and the back of the wall was very small and I did not feel that safe climbing up or down.

Hi - is it feasible to walk a boat into a lock where you want to ascend? Then walk a boat out of a lock when going downhill? I want to avoid using the lock ladders if at all possible. I guess you might say in some locks yes and others no, but I'd appreciate your thoughts on avoiding the ladders.

My first six months on a boat I did exactly that when ever possible. The upside is I lost about 4 and a half stone. The down side is the wear on the hips.

Did you think this out? How are you going to open the bottom gate with sixteen ton or more of boat pressing against it underpower, however gentle that power may be?

It's possible with double bottom gates. I've done it.

We are sitting on the river, waiting for a lock in Bath to be fixed. Top gates hit by boat, damaging the masonry.

What happens if you stumble, and can't open the paddle in time? The paddle doesn't work?

Jump down onto the boat and put it into reverse.