Met office Amber alert

blackrose

Featured Posts

I am confident that the rain will hold off until Friday, which is when we start our trip up Thames to K&A and Newbury. We had such fab weather last time out on the Thames, we are expecting to pay for it this time... :(

We set off at 8am and have just had to moor up - it's too much hard work as well as being damn cold and miserable :(

Very blustery and cold in Stourbridge today. I am giving up on boat jobs to go for a wander round Stourbridge and and a coffee.

Yesterday however, I went boating with Richard and Sue in Tawny Owl straight up to Waring's Green from the top of Hatton. It was a bit wild at times but we didn't encounter too many problems. All the gates and mechanisms are far too heavy though.

Wriggly-the-Lock-Wheeler.

Very blustery and cold in Stourbridge today. I am giving up on boat jobs to go for a wander round Stourbridge and and a coffee.

Yesterday however, I went boating with Richard and Sue in Tawny Owl straight up to Waring's Green from the top of Hatton. It was a bit wild at times but we didn't encounter too many problems. All the gates and mechanisms are far too heavy though.

It was hard work into the wind sometimes, but I only once had Tawny Owl navigating at a dramatic angle in a cross wind. Quite disappointing really

Richard

Oh, apart from the wind taking Sue by surprise as she tried to wind in front of the cafe

Yep, we did a full day's boating yesterday and while we did get blown around at times at least it wasn't so cold with it. Ah well, time for a hot drink and a book :)

It was hard work into the wind sometimes, but I only once had Tawny Owl navigating at a dramatic angle in a cross wind. Quite disappointing really

Richard

Oh, apart from the wind taking Sue by surprise as she tried to wind in front of the cafe

Aha, so the meander down the cut enjoying a view of both banks is normal then?

Sue, on the other hand, is an exemplary helm and that little incident with the tiniest amount of water over the coffee drinkers was retribution for them mooring parking in the wrong place and therefore entirely justified.

Bit late, winding yesterday and a howling gale came down the canal, and blew me neatly into a tree, nice big sctratch down the side of the boat. It out with the paint brush next weekend weather permitting.

Ken

Bit late, winding yesterday and a howling gale came down the canal, and blew me neatly into a tree, nice big sctratch down the side of the boat. It out with the paint brush next weekend weather permitting.

Ken

Where are you at the moment Ken? Might we see you next week?

Jo.

I'm at work and the boat is back at Newbury is your boat in the drydock at the weekend? If so I'll be there repairing paintwork.

Ken

Hi Ken,

No, we are not booked in with Paul until 17 June.

But we are bringing C'est la Vie up next week and have a temp mooring in the marina next to the dry dock waiting for our turn.

We should get onto the K&A on Weds and hope to moor at Woolhampton on Weds evening, or Theale if we are running late!

Sorry to hear about your paintwork.

Jo.

It's windy here (Thames) just almost got knocked off my feet by the wind, when standing on the tug deck, approaching Shiplake Lock.

I lost my pot of coriander off the roof too. :(

I lost my favourite bucket off the back deck having just finished the laundry. All corriander pots still accounted for however.

I was heading up river toward Oxford yesterday.... twas a bit blowy

I was glad to get on to the canal where there's a lot more protection from the wind.

Got a bit of a scare above Roundham lock. A huge crack and the sound of splintering wood. I turned round just in time to see a huge bow of willow splash in to the cut.

2 minutes earlier I was underneath it!! :unsure:

There were a couple of hireboats coming down, so I left them to deal with it ;)

50+mph gusts here in North Yorks today.

The dog is keeping her head down. Yesterday, whilst visiting in York, a garden swing seat with fabric sun-shade took off and chased her across the lawn, closely followed by some plastic garden furniture.

This lock island is very exposed. When the wind blows hard here, it sounds as if a baby is nailed up in the walls somewhere. No wonder the local kids used to think this lock cottage was haunted.

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter

We set off at 8am and have just had to moor up - it's too much hard work as well as being damn cold and miserable :(

As I said, it's best to stay securely moored up when the weather's like that.

Boat with the conditions rather than battling against them (unless that's your thing of course).

Edited by blackrose

As I said, it's best to stay securely moored up when the weather's like that.

Boat with the conditions rather than battling against them (unless that's your thing of course).

Agreed - we sat tight until 5pm when it all calmed down and the sun came out - we got a couple of lovely hours boating this evening. Mum & dad are with us on their boat and they're still novices so safe is better than sorry.