Severn Trip

Featured Posts

Finally got this boat delivered to Bristol. I've had to wait for 2 weeks for the wind and sea state to drop.

We left Sharpness lock yesterday (19th) at 1000 hrs and arrived bang on time at Portishead lock at 1245.

It was a good run however, the Lister SR3 was pushed to its limits (not quite flat out!) and considering conditions where good, we only just made our slot at Portishead.

5 hours later and £18 to portishead marina beer fund and we departed the lock at 1800hrs on the in coming tide. We had no warning what so ever from Portishead of commercial traffic coming out of the dock just up stream from the Avonmouth entrance, we had to cut across the bow of a large ship to get into the Avonmouth, you only get one shot at this, all though there was plenty of room and I couldn't see the whites of his eyes! it was a tricking and uncomfortable 5 minutes with the front boat getting a ticking off!

Arrived at Bristol lock at 1930hrs and that was job done for me. All in all, a good run but the Lister SR3 hmmm :unsure:

100_0751.jpg

100_0752.jpg

100_0754.jpg

100_0758.jpg

100_0759.jpg

100_0761.jpg

100_0764.jpg

100_0765.jpg

100_0766.jpg

100_0770.jpg

100_0773.jpg

Edited by nigel carton

You are a very brave man. Out of curiosity, can I ask what you treated your bottom with? (and I don't mean your bottom, though in the scary lock I would have had to treat my bottom with plastic trousers). Do you just get it washed and treated when you're back in fresh water, or is it fine to leave it as is?

Finally got this boat delivered to Bristol. I've had to wait for 2 weeks for the wind and sea state to drop.

We left Sharpness lock yesterday (19th) at 1000 hrs and arrived bang on time at Portishead lock at 1245.

It was a good run however, the Lister SR3 was pushed to its limits (not quite flat out!) and considering conditions where good, we only just made our slot at Portishead.

5 hours later and £18 to portishead marina beer fund and we departed the lock at 1800hrs on the in coming tide. We had no warning what so ever from Portishead of commercial traffic coming out of the dock just up stream from the Avonmouth entrance, we had to cut across the bow of a large ship to get into the Avonmouth, you only get one shot at this, all though there was plenty of room and I couldn't see the whites of his eyes! it was a tricking and uncomfortable 5 minutes with the front boat getting a ticking off!

Arrived at Bristol lock at 1930hrs and that was job done for me. All in all, a good run but the Lister SR3 hmmm :unsure:

Great photos thanks

You are a very brave man. Out of curiosity, can I ask what you treated your bottom with? (and I don't mean your bottom, though in the scary lock I would have had to treat my bottom with plastic trousers). Do you just get it washed and treated when you're back in fresh water, or is it fine to leave it as is?

I'm not sure but I think the water is 'fresh' on that stretch. As for the boat, I was delivering it for someone. I think the boat is due a blacking anyway.

Ah no, the boats are secured to a floating pontoon in the lock, so you can stand safely next to your boat

Oops my mistake. :blush:

J.

(and wouldn't you know it, a post saying "oops my mistake" finally awards me the label of "Long Standing Member" - how ironic! :lol:

Edited by Daftmare

Ah no, the boats are secured to a floating pontoon in the lock, so you can stand safely next to your boat

Great photos-may persuade the wife yet. Your boat seems to have a crop of mushrooms growing :rolleyes:

100_0750.jpg

This is the last mooring point before you approach The swing bridge and Sharpness lock. I can highly recommend the Dockers club which is about 5 minutes walk from the above moorings.

100_0755-1.jpg

100_0756.jpg

100_0763.jpg

Edited by nigel carton

This is the last mooring point before you approach The swing bridge and Sharpness lock. I can highly recommend the Dockers club which is about 5 minutes walk from the above moorings.

Good to hear the Dockers is still good, I must be 8 years or more since we visited.

This is probably a silly question but in this picture...

100_0765.jpg

...is the incoming water from the sides of the gates from paddles or just very leaky gates?

I'm thinking it's more likely to be leaking gates although that would be a very substantial leak.

Edited by grunders

...is the incoming water from the sides of the gates from paddles or just very leaky gates?

I'm thinking it's more likely to be leaking gates although that would be a very substantial leak.

Neither.

There are no paddles to let the water in, they are "radial" gates (ie they rotate to open and shut) and to fill the lock they just rotate them a little bit so that the water comes in at the edges.

100_0765.jpg

Are those two people standing on their gunwhale, sandwiched between the cabin side and the lock wall? I'm sure there are safer places to stand while the lock's filling. Or is there a floating pontoon between their boat and the lock wall?

Edited by blackrose

Are those two people standing on their gunwhale, sandwiched between the cabin side and the lock wall? I'm sure there are safer places to stand while the lock's filling. Or is there a floating pontoon between their boat and the lock wall?

A floating pontoon.

You can see the pontoon in this picture

dsc01827%20copy.jpg?pictureId=6828182

I see. The image hasn't appeared for some reason.

The original picture shows the pontoon on the right. There is a similar one to the left.

It is the most luxurious lock that I know. You simply drive in and tie to one of the cleats on the pontoon, then you get off and stretch your legs, talk to the other boaters, etc. It's also one of the biggest rises that I know (in England anyway) at about 30ft.