Diesel to solid fuel

STIG

Featured Posts

Does anyone know if it would be possible to change from a diesel stove to a solid fuel aand how much would it cost prob. :cheers:

I changed my Kabola Old Dutch to a Charnwood County 4 two years ago. I did most of the work myself, except building the dog leg stove pipe and altering the collar.

Made my money back (about £600 from memory) over the next winter. I dont know what someone would charge to do the job but its doable in a day provided you have all the bits available and the stove pipe ready built.

Edited by idleness

Once you've got the diesel stove out and the fuel feed blanked off the main things to assess are whether the hearth is sufficiently sized for the solid fuel stove you want to install and making sure there are no combustibles within the stove manufacturer's recommendations. The flue will be another area you'll have to look at.

So you should choose your solid fuel stove carefully, looking not only at kW output, but also at the flue diameter, etc. If you can fit a flue of the same diameter it will make installation a lot easier.

Why do you want to remove your diesel stove? As a liveaboard I'd always go for solid fuel myself because of its reliability, but if I already had a good diesel stove installed and I had the space I'd probably fit a solid fuel stove as well.

Edited by blackrose

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if it would be possible to change from a diesel stove to a solid fuel aand how much would it cost prob. :cheers:

Hi Stig, - did you get any further with this project?

I'm toying with replacing the Bubble diesel corner back boiler stove with a Boatman boiler stove from Eddie Brooks.

Several things to consider still, - like should I bother with the expense of an insulated flue pipe (need to change it from the 3 1/2 inch one anyway)

I'm also concerned about needing to run the pump continuously - it's not exactly silent and I live aboard.

Tony

Hi Stig, - did you get any further with this project?

I'm toying with replacing the Bubble diesel corner back boiler stove with a Boatman boiler stove from Eddie Brooks.

Several things to consider still, - like should I bother with the expense of an insulated flue pipe (need to change it from the 3 1/2 inch one anyway)

I'm also concerned about needing to run the pump continuously - it's not exactly silent and I live aboard.

Tony

Our solid fuel stove works by gravity. I assume you mean water circulation.

Sue

• Greenie 1