Inverter-12v question

Andrew B

Featured Posts

Hi I know I should already know this but have never checked.

Ive got a 1kw sterling inverter and what I'm wanting to know because I've never tested it for instance if I plug an item that's 12V into the normal 3 pin socket should it get power without inverter being turned on?

My lights and pumps work without inverter being on. I keep trying to find time to go down to the boat but it's quite a way from me.

If it does need the inverter on will this have an impact on the batteries thus powering inverter? I've got 1 starter and 2 leisure - domestic battery. Again I don't know their capacity.

Ive got a 1kw sterling inverter and what I'm wanting to know because I've never tested it for instance if I plug an item that's 12V into the normal 3 pin socket should it get power without inverter being turned on?

My lights and pumps work without inverter being on. I keep trying to find time to go down to the boat but it's quite a way from me.

If it does need the inverter on will this have an impact on the batteries thus powering inverter? I've got 1 starter and 2 leisure - domestic battery. Again I don't know their capacity.

Edit - I think I misunderstood the question

Edited by MJG

I'm not 100% sure I understand the question either.

The inverter is for supplying 240 Volts. It will supply the 240V to the mains sockets. Nothing except 240V appliances should be plugged into mains sockets.

Does that answer the question?

Tony

edited for fat fingers

Edited by WotEver

That's the question, I've never known because there isn't a light or anything to signal it's power also I cannot hear it running. I've had it running plugged into Marina mains through 240 but never on batteries as I worry constantly about it draining them.

When I purchased the boat I was told the fridge is 12v and it has a 3 pin socket on. That is why I was wondering regarding this.

It may very well have - that is a separate issue - it's likely plugged into a 12 v supply and will have a suitable proprietary 12v 3 pin plug.

Ok, but when I put something else into that plug like my phone charger or microwave it works. Its a small half size under counter fridge which isn't big but adequate. We rarely went cruising on it however looking back I regret not going cruising.

When I purchased the boat I was told the fridge is 12v and it has a 3 pin socket on. That is why I was wondering regarding this.

Does the plug on the fridge look like this

Electric_adapt_it_2.JPG

or this

UK-Standard-Power-Cord-Mains-Plug-Power-Lead.jpg?1282382269

The last one just like a standard house plug.

Then your fridge is a 240v one and with your current set up will only work when you are on shore power.

It may work if you plug it into your inverter but until somebody with better knowledge than me comes along and confirms it - I wouldn't.

Edited by MJG

I wonder if you are referring to the round three pin connectors that some folk (incorrectly in my opinion) use for 12 volt distribution.

6-023.gif

IF that is the case & they are wired to supply 12 volts, then yes I see no reason why any 12 volt device they have previously powered will not continue to work when the inverter is running.

BTW the round pin plugs I refer to are rated for 240 volt AC 2 amp I believe. They were often used with matching dedicated sockets to power household table & standard lamps. For no other reason this may cause confusion when used for distributing low voltage DC.

Edited by richardhula

Ok, I'm wanting to know this because I intend or possibly intend on hiring it out soon so I'm trying to gather everything together.

I think then you need to improve your battery capacity and wire them to a better inverter and/or fit a 12v fridge,

I think...there is a big danger in us assuming things here...and offering advice.

We 'think' we know what is going on.....but there is danger in assuming this when you have 240 volt mixed in with the systems and potential for injury or fire.

My 'advice'...is to find someone who is familiar with boat systems and get them to physically look and advise....especially if you are going to hire it out.

False or missunderstood advice given by you to others...could leave you in a very nasty position should someone be hurt.

Bob

would the lable on the fridge not tell you what it is ours has one, ie 12 volts or 240 so you know for sure.

I'm going to look when I go down to the boat this weekend but as I mentioned before I've never really checked. I'm still learning about the boat even though I'm fully competent at handling it is what I think I've done practicing more rather than familiarising myself with the equipment onboard.

I will be noting absolutely everything this weekend and she will see some big changes soon. I do actually feel quite negative that I don't actually know the details of the basic things on my boat but as I say I'm still learning. I only purchased her less than a year ago.

All the problems will be rectified and she is booked in for her hull blacking, a new inverter, more batteries, 12v tv&fridge a full engine service and repaint is what she will undergo shortly.

Ok, I'm wanting to know this because I intend or possibly intend on hiring it out soon so I'm trying to gather everything together.

I suggest before you even consider renting it out you find out how everything on your boat works and that it is all wired up in a safe manor.

I suggest before you even consider renting it out you find out how everything on your boat works and that it is all wired up in a safe manor.

It is well wired and insulated and there isn't any cables in reach - which could cause danger to anybody. Their is a few wires from inverter to batteries under stern but they are protected by a thick pipe and the wiring is carried underneath the stern so they're hidden. It passed a BSS test last year and the examiner said there wasn't anything that needed doing as it is a perfectly safe boat that more than complies with standard regulations.

The fusebox is high above the bed at feets end and that too is also safe. I will get everything checked over through and thoroughly before I let it out. It is a good layout for a hireboat and all switches are in cupboards and aren't insight.

When I go to the boat I will work out a risk assessment and analyse what may need doing.

Unfortunately you don't seem to understand that the BSS does very little checking of electrical systems, and in particular 240 volt electrical systems on your boat.

If you don't believe me then go and download the guide - you will find almost no reference to RCDs, Circuit Breakers, AC earths, and all the things you need to know about when 240 volts AC is installed on a boat.

240 volts from an inverter can be just as lethal as 240 volts from a land-line, and the chances of getting it wrong are probably higher with the former. Very often people dfo get it dangerously wrong, even if all the wiring looks neat, with sensible cable types.

A BSS inspector has no right to tell you 240 volt AC systems are completely safe, as it is not within his remit to do enough inspection and testing to prove that.

I agree with those who say you need to get it looked at by someone who fully understands it. To me the fact that you imagine what you have must be safe totally justifies me thinking that, in my view.

EDITED TO ACKNOWLEDGE:

On reading your reply again, you do seem to agree to getting it looked at, which is good. My remarks that what the BSS man says does not guarantee it's safety still stand, though.

Edited by alan_fincher