Metal Floor Plate

plainsman

Featured Posts

There is some stuff on the market used as floor plates.(Seen on off road Land Rovers etc) Shiny steel colour and made of some sort of alloy, it has diagonal hatchings on the surface. Sorry for vague description but would appreciate anyone letting me know what it's called and where one might get it. Thanks in anticipation.

There is some stuff on the market used as floor plates.(Seen on off road Land Rovers etc) Shiny steel colour and made of some sort of alloy, it has diagonal hatchings on the surface. Sorry for vague description but would appreciate anyone letting me know what it's called and where one might get it. Thanks in anticipation.

Checker ?SP plate

- be aware slippery when wet.

Suppliers of Land Rover 4x4 parts can often supply it.

Aluminium floorplate is also called checker plate, comes in a variety of thicknesses from 2mm on plain to about 10 mm OP.

How much do you need ? I can put you in touch with suppliers if you want. I work for a steelstock holders and we can get it, but I can put you in touch with our suppliers direct if needed. Where in UK are you?

Not only are there different names (and some might be 'Trade' names fallen into general use) but there are also different patterns to the 'hatchings'. It's available in steel as well as aluminium, which would be very cold to stand on, and liable to bend when in constant use.

I'd advise checking prices, because I think it's rather expensive, compared to flat plate of the same thickness with a coat or two of non slip paint. That statement assumes non-slip is the justification for the purchase of patterned plate.

I'm not a user, which is why I'm vague on detail. Look for a steel or metal stockholder near you, then phone to see what they stock, and visit.

HTH

Its called aluminium chequer plate, i have some which i made my roofbox lids out of, its shiny silver coloured and doesnt rust, mine has been powder coated to match boat colour.

Goto your local fabrication/sheet metal work business, they will either have some and cut it to size for you or get you some and do the same, or try steel stockholders they sometimes are able to cut it for you also.

I used have a fabrication shop but due to the recession i had to close up, otherwise i could have supplied it cut to size.

Edited by Scooby

Aluminium..... Checker plate [common name]

Steel.... Durbar [common name]

Aluminium..... Checker plate [common name]

Steel.... Durbar [common name]

Durbar is a particular style of floor plate, the common type in steel nowadays. No reason for it not to be made in other materials, I have no idea whether or not it is.

The old admiralty diamond pattern steel plate also used to be known at least colloquially as chequer plate (Checkers is american draughts AIUI)

Tim

Durbar is a particular style of floor plate, the common type in steel nowadays. No reason for it not to be made in other materials, I have no idea whether or not it is.

Tim

We only have the checker plate style in aluminium, the durbar pattern seems to be the one that all steel floorplate comes in nowadays. Well I have not delivered any other pattern since I started there 6 years ago, this does not mean that there are not other patterns, just that they are not as popular.

I always knew it as "Tread Plate" - I suspect "Checker plate" is an american term.

My previous boat, a liverpool boats cruiser stern, had the floor plates made from aluminium tread plate. 1/4" thick, in four sections. It was strong, but reasonably light to lift, but as has been mentioned, it was still quite slippery when wet despite the textured surface.