What is a GRP top NB worth?

Neil2

Featured Posts

We are looking for a 45-ish foot Narrowboat at the moment having recently sold a little Springer. Not having vast amounts of spare cash we are limited to looking at older boats, some of which are steel hull with GRP cabin sides/roof. My inclination is to steer clear of these, but we have come across a very tidy 1980 example which is making me question my prejudice. When we sold our boat I had a very open mind as to the value & saw the asking price as very much a "well you've got to start somewhere" value. I was lucky in that the purchaser was equally open minded and we ended up on a figure that seemed to make sense to both of us. But you do have a fair amount to go on with all steel boats and you can see what other similar boats are selling at. What about these increasingly rare GRP types? I'm interested in any opinions, especially if anyone thinks they have a "finite value". What I mean is, however tidy a boat is its value is eventually limited by it's size, is it likely to be the same with glass tops?

I should add that the specimen in question has been painted, and not particularly well.

Many GRP topped narrowboats built pre 1980 are now rather tired and prone to rainwater leakage, especially at the joint between GRP top and steel side decks. However, there are a few notable exceptions which are still in good condition. What make is the boat you are looking at?

Look for evidence of water staining inside, especially below the side decks. Also look for bad crazing/stress fractures and bodged repairs in the gel coat. (Edited to add - I had overlooked your last sentence. Is it just a bad paint job or a bad paint job on top of lots of filler and poor sanding down?)

Edited by PhilR

The main places for problems are the lip on the inside of the steel gunwhale which can rust and therefor leak.

Also the handrail screws tend to leak and many people remove the rails.

Windows tend to leak but that's more about age.

For all these look very carefully for signs of water damage inside. Bearing in mind it's been dry for weeks.

Good time to sell aboat with a leaky roof

But thei answer to your question is there's nothing wrong with a grp top and unlikely to be the main cost factor in boat of that age

<snip>

I'm interested in any opinions, especially if anyone thinks they have a "finite value". What I mean is, however tidy a boat is its value is eventually limited by it's size, is it likely to be the same with glass tops?

<snip>

In my opinion, GRP topped steel boats do have a finite value, and it is less than an equivalent all steel boat. I'd be surprised to find a GRP topped boat selling for much over £25,000 even if it was in tip-top condition. Many will be less

But what do I know, I'v never owned one

Richard

In my opinion, GRP topped steel boats do have a finite value, and it is less than an equivalent all steel boat. I'd be surprised to find a GRP topped boat selling for much over £25,000 even if it was in tip-top condition. Many will be less

We have just been on the Thames where I suspect many of the GRP topped boats we were looking at you would have been lucky to buy for £250,000, let alone £25,000.

However I suspect you are talking about the canal types that are steel, and often overplated below the waistline ? :rolleyes:

But being serious, I agree, I think anyone asking much over £20K for even an excellent example is probably being highly optimistic.

Thanks for those comments everyone. Regarding value it pretty much endorses what I thought myself.

PhilR - it's a Teddesley boat, I suspect ex hire but has been extensively changed internally and has a BMC 1.8 rather than the ubiquitous air cooled Lister. As regards the paint job, my experience with GRP is very limited but I imagine it's difficult to get as good a finish as with steel..? Anyway, I can't see much evidence of filler it looks to me more like poor surface preparation but there are a few blisters which give slight cause for concern. In its favour is the fact that it appears to be an "honest" boat, if you know what I mean.

Regarding the weather - up here in the North it bucketed down at the end of last week... It's true though, best time to view a boat is on a filthy day.

Thanks for those comments everyone. Regarding value it pretty much endorses what I thought myself.

PhilR - it's a Teddesley boat, I suspect ex hire but has been extensively changed internally and has a BMC 1.8 rather than the ubiquitous air cooled Lister. As regards the paint job, my experience with GRP is very limited but I imagine it's difficult to get as good a finish as with steel..? Anyway, I can't see much evidence of filler it looks to me more like poor surface preparation but there are a few blisters which give slight cause for concern. In its favour is the fact that it appears to be an "honest" boat, if you know what I mean.

Regarding the weather - up here in the North it bucketed down at the end of last week... It's true though, best time to view a boat is on a filthy day.

IMHO Teddesley GRP tops were excellent.

IMHO Teddesley GRP tops were excellent.

I agree.

I'd pay more for a Teddesley with a plastic lid, than some skanky all-steel clonecraft (of the same era).

I can think of a mere handful of boats, from 1980, that would make £25k, whatever construction.

Edited by carlt

There were two varieties of "Teddesley", the first when the concern was builders of boats and AFAIK they were mostly glass topped with quite a distinct style. That ceased in the main and the yard was purchased by peter and Linda Milward who ran it as a hire business. Most of the hulls they used were full steel construction and built by people like Les Allen. Later on TBC did build their own hulls, but again these were steel.

As others have said the hulls that came out of the yard were high quality whether they were built for sale or released from the hire fleet.

TBC have reverted to being a general yard - it's difficult for a small outfit to compete nowadays with the big boys. I think the remains of the fleet are managed by Gailey.

I hired their last glass topper in 19xx when I think the Milwards first started, and they taught me all I know about narrowboating,the business and the characters on the cut - for which we will always be exceedingly grateful.