Washing Machine Water

Featured Posts

Whether it's a good idea to post this on the same day as a dead animal thread is running...

...anyway, my daughter, with baby is to have one of my boats for a while so I am thinking washing machine. In the good old days, of the charmingly misnamed Easywash I use to rinse using canal water and, I'm glad to report, I'm still here. More importantly the water in the canal seemed clean enough to rinse clothes in and not at all smelly.

So my thoughts about washing machine installation are to take the water from the canal, run it through a filter to take out and solids, mud, leaves, dead animals (well maybe not the latter).

Given that the filter doesn't have to produce potable quality water, any ideas what i might use and how I can plumb it in so that the filter would be easily cleanable?

Guest wanted

I can't help but I recall a member on the forum living totally off grid and filtering his own water from the cut to potable standard. maybe somebody can remember his name as he seemed quite clued up, unless it did him in! :rolleyes:

Whether it's a good idea to post this on the same day as a dead animal thread is running...

...anyway, my daughter, with baby is to have one of my boats for a while so I am thinking washing machine. In the good old days, of the charmingly misnamed Easywash I use to rinse using canal water and, I'm glad to report, I'm still here. More importantly the water in the canal seemed clean enough to rinse clothes in and not at all smelly.

So my thoughts about washing machine installation are to take the water from the canal, run it through a filter to take out and solids, mud, leaves, dead animals (well maybe not the latter).

Given that the filter doesn't have to produce potable quality water, any ideas what i might use and how I can plumb it in so that the filter would be easily cleanable?

Perhaps??

http://www.lineonedist.co.uk/Riva_In_Line_Water_Filter.asp?CID=

Suspect any filter of this type will clog pretty quickly though filtering canal water. Plumbed in a cupboard though it would be easy to get at and unblock though...

I can't help but I recall a member on the forum living totally off grid and filtering his own water from the cut to potable standard. maybe somebody can remember his name as he seemed quite clued up, unless it did him in! :rolleyes:

Mitch-Soma. Haven't seen him on the forum lately, though.

Iain

I have a homemade filter system for the canal water. It involves a couple of 25 litre plastic tubs stuffed with polycarbonate loft insulation. The water is allowed to circulate through them and then into the tank. It just top them up with a bucket a couple of times a day. When the filter medium gets blocked I fish it out and wash it in the washing machine.

For drinking water I put the same resultant water through a British Berkfield water filter. Been doing it for a couple of years now and never had any problems.

I'd use a Hozelock filter system (used in keeping Koi carp), water is uplifted, filtered through several stages, and also passed over a UV light. The resultant output can be used. Removes particles, nitrates, and UV kills any algae .

Do a google for a reverse osmosis filter system, there's various types including ones for filtering sea water to potable.

Reverse osmosis is very expensive process and power hungry from engine.

You can get under sink ones, that work on water pressure alone - although you'll only get around 15% of the water put in and of course for a boat you'll need a pump to pump the water from the canal. They have a optional pump to increase the pressure and performance.

I have a homemade filter system for the canal water. It involves a couple of 25 litre plastic tubs stuffed with polycarbonate loft insulation. The water is allowed to circulate through them and then into the tank. It just top them up with a bucket a couple of times a day. When the filter medium gets blocked I fish it out and wash it in the washing machine.

For drinking water I put the same resultant water through a British Berkfield water filter. Been doing it for a couple of years now and never had any problems.

Oooh, I'd missed this addition (thanks Gibbo). This looks like a goer. put the water in at the bottom, keep the loft insulation at the bottom under a layer of fine mesh and then put the takeoff at the top. reasonably compact too.