What are the chances of mooring in Market Harborough?

Morat

Featured Posts

Hello, we're taking a hire boat out in a couple of weeks time and were planning to go up to Market Harborough from Clifton (and back) in a week. I've just checked out the basin at Market Harborough on Google Maps and it looked both small and full! What do you think my chances are of mooring there in the middle of the first week of May? It'll be a 70ft boat... If we can't moor there, are we scuppered or is there an alternative?

Thanks for your advice!

Miles

There was plent of space on the towpath on the approach to the basin yesterday morning, and it was extremely pretty there.

It was also, as said above, a charming little town which I had not visited before, but I would definately go again - very pleasant.

You should be able to moor up in the basin as well as the official visitor moorings. Just have a chat with the people running the hire boats, they will find you a space.

The basin is controlled by the hire company, do not expect to moor there especially on turn round days, they also hog the services.

We always moor on the tow-path.

The basin is controlled by the hire company, do not expect to moor there especially on turn round days, they also hog the services.

We always moor on the tow-path.

I think you can pre book and pay for a slot, but it will cost you.

I think you can pre book and pay for a slot, but it will cost you.

On turn around days yes that could be an issue but normally you can just turn up and ask them.

I believe you can plug into their electricity if you pay a small mooring fee.

• 4 weeks later...

Well that was a great trip :)

We arrived in Market Harborough quite late so the manager wasn't around. There were some spare pontoons so I grabbed the longest looking one (for our 70ft Hire Boat) and paid £7.50 in the morning. We didn't hook up (no shore line) but the services were clean and very useful.