Rubbish

jonk

Featured Posts

Although I realise it is not the same as on a live aboard.

When we have been on hire boats most have had bench type seats / steps in the cratch and what we usually do is put any carrier bags we get while shopping in the small bins in the kitchen and bathroom as bin liners.

Then when the bags are full tie up and put under the seating in the cratch.

Then when we pass a disposal point just put it in the bin there

The ususl tit for tat spoiled this topic in which I am sure we all have an interest in.

I am with the brigade who save up supermarket bags to use as bin-liners and store tied up full one on the aft deck and dropping them off at disposal points as we find them.

I am now a bit confused by a number of disposal points that expect boaters to "sort" their rubbish into different containers. Very few boats have room to store "segregated" rubbish. This means a laborious and messy business of opening up the bags and segregrating at the disposal point. Nasty on a wet windy day. So my bag of "general" rubbish gets tipped into what I consider to be the most apropriate bin according to the bin labels and what I can remember of the contents in my bag. Sheriff's reply comes some way to alleviating this problem, but I am interested in further idea's

One realy good way to deal with rubbish is to start at the source, by not bringing it home from the shops. I avoid products that are boxed in a box, in a box...... If I can't choose a nother product, I leave the extra box in the stores bin. Or if it burns safely, no problem. Just chuck it in the stove. Even some plastics just leave water vapor when burned. Education about whats safe, whats not. There's loads of info online.

Recycling? Is it realy nescessary to bring home stuff in new bags all the time? Could you bring a tote to the shops? Have a worm compost under the sink? I never buy food containers. I wash jam jars and use them for leftovers in the fridge. Same with plastic ice cream tubs, which can be reused for food a few times. Before they end up in the garage to keep nuts & bolts in. Or to soak machine parts in before finaly being discarded.

Crushing drink cans. Washing food cans, opening them in both ends and flattening them.

Just being "aware" helps. The two of us only produce one or maybe two bags at the most per month.

We have a small bin in the galley built into the cabin steps and a small bin we keep in the cockpit. When they are full we empty them into a black bag and go off in search of a bin. We usually find that pub landlords/ladies are happy for you to deposit your rubbish so long as you buy a drink or two whilst you are there.