warwick ring

Timx

Featured Posts

Whatever have you got in your settings ????

Looks like the time was just based on lock miles not on canal plan's time, and that is not going to be very representative with a lthe lock flights on this route; that's 7 hours to do Hatton!

I will say the new version of canal plan has teething troubles

Earlier today I found that Dundas to Bristol Floating Harbour has 7 locks and can be done in eight hours...

The first is factually incorrect and the second improbable if speed limits are respected

Which version are you looking at (and on which url ?)

On the public version (the one on www.canalplan.org.uk ) and using the default settings, it comes up from Dundas Aqueduct to Bristol as 23 miles, 3¾ flg and 13 locks (not counting Cumberland Basin Entrance Lock No 2) which will take 10 hours 35 minutes

Edited by Keeping Up

Looks like the time was just based on lock miles not on canal plan's time, and that is not going to be very representative with a lthe lock flights on this route; that's 7 hours to do Hatton!

Hi,

Yes,it was based on lock miles,just click on Rings on Canal Plan & you get 100+ miles and 121 locks.

My settings didn't come into it.

It's not for me to decide if it's too much for someone else to do in a week,I just thought it would

give an idea as to what was involved.

Fred.

Hi,

Yes,it was based on lock miles,just click on Rings on Canal Plan & you get 100+ miles and 121 locks.

My settings didn't come into it.

It's not for me to decide if it's too much for someone else to do in a week,I just thought it would

give an idea as to what was involved.

Fred.

Isn't it rather deceptive to quote the locks and miles but to deliberately ignore the timings which are given in the next line in order to replace them with figures which are less accurate?

Do you have a secret way of by-passing Hatton?

No. Are you going up the North Stratford and down Farmers Bridge?

Richard

EDIT: Even Canalplanner has it as 100 miles, 93 locks

Edited by RLWP

Isn't it rather deceptive to quote the locks and miles but to deliberately ignore the timings which are given in the next line in order to replace them with figures which are less accurate?

Hi,

No one deliberately ignored anything.

If 3 lock miles an hour is wrong then I accept I made a mistake and apologise.

I know from my own experience that it's possible to do locks and miles quicker

but wouldn't try 100 miles & 121 locks in a week anywhere with just myself & my

partner,because we do it for leisure.

I find that 3 lock miles an hour is a fair guide when first looking at a route,

I then do some research into what can be done and go from there.

Fred.

.......Edited to add, I'm sure anyone here would agree that the waterways look so different from a 180 degree angle that out and back is just as interesting as a ring, with the added bonus, you can explore what you missed on the way out.

Tone

Every time! I look on being able to go out every weekend as one of the joys of boat ownership. Yes, you do keep retracing over the same bit of ground, but it's always different in so many ways.

That said, if I was hiring a boat, I'd want to experience as much as possible so I would be boating long days (cos thats why I'd hire a boat - to go boating) and preferably a ring so I didn't retrace over old ground.

No. Are you going up the North Stratford and down Farmers Bridge?

Richard

EDIT: Even Canalplanner has it as 100 miles, 93 locks

That's intriguing, well spotted sir!

Canalplan has a button marked "Warwickshire ring" so like others I pressed that button and assumed it would give me the Warwickshire ring. However on closer inspection I see that it actually gives a loop that goes up the North Stratford and down Farmers Bridge, which is not he ring that I would call the Warwickshire Ring, although I'm sure that many people do include the diversion into central Birmingham.

Without that diversion, the ring is shown as 95 miles and 94 locks. It also shows a default time of 55 hours or (with my usual settings) 43 hours.

I find that 3 lock miles an hour is a fair guide when first looking at a route,

I would be really rather upset if I spent over 7 hours following you up the Hatton 21

Canalplan has a button marked "Warwickshire ring" so like others I pressed that button and assumed it would give me the Warwickshire ring. However on closer inspection I see that it actually gives a loop that goes up the North Stratford and down Farmers Bridge, which is not he ring that I would call the Warwickshire Ring, although I'm sure that many people do include the diversion into central Birmingham.

Without that diversion, the ring is shown as 95 miles and 94 locks. It also shows a default time of 55 hours or (with my usual settings) 43 hours.

I would be really rather upset if I spent over 7 hours following you up the Hatton 21

Especially if you have to reset all the locks. Wouldn't it be better to breast up and do it in half the time?

(Jesting warning light on)

Tone

Hi,You are obviously looking for conflict of some sort,and reading more into my posts

than is there.

You wouldn't have to follow me anywhere,I always allow those obviously faster canal users

to go past.

I don't like targets,I like to look at and enjoy my suroundings,my pleasure is not in how

far I can get in an hour/day/week.I can do the rest of any route another time.

I always defer to others more knowledgeable than myself and again apologise for the

wrong details I gave.

Fred.

For that ring I would reckon 4 hours for the Hatton 21, 10 hours for the other (30) wide locks, then the other 41 locks take 8 hours plus 35 hours for the milage. This gives 53 hours and that has some built in slack.

4 hours with a lunch break sounds about right, hic cheers.gif

One should always have a break for lunch half way up. At least BW - who used to come and complain, don't both now (as they don't cut the grass and so are not around). Last time we, going down shared our lunch spot with a hotel boat going up. Nothing like a stop for tiffin - all very British old boy!

Ha ,

Fantastic answers ,thanks, but after all that going from Lymm to the peak canal and back in ten nights, cos dont like the idea of goin through Manchester

Enjoy the Heartbreak experience. The Maccy/Peak Forest is nice. There's a Tesco canalside at Whaley Bridge.

Edited by Tiny

For that ring I would reckon 4 hours for the Hatton 21, 10 hours for the other (30) wide locks, then the other 41 locks take 8 hours plus 35 hours for the milage. This gives 53 hours and that has some built in slack.

Hi Tiny, as I might be doing the ring myself next month I have followed this post with some interest. Alas I spotted a mistake in your calculations should your total hours not be 57?

Also the lunch break sounds good.

Great answers

Hi Tiny, as I might be doing the ring myself next month I have followed this post with some interest. Alas I spotted a mistake in your calculations should your total hours not be 57?

Also the lunch break sounds good.

Great answers

You are right!

Incidentally the old boatmen reckoned 3 minutes a lock for Hatton and, to see if it was possible a good few years back a crew of boaters (children of the originals) had a busmans day out on their hotel boat and finding themselves alone at Hatton went for it. The took the worst time off their four watches - it was 59 minutes for the lot. But don't try this yourself - just enjoy the ambience of the flight. (The Golden Steps to Heaven.)

Incidentally - if you were doing the ring from Tardebigge then you go clockwise - doing Farmers bridge and Aston plus Minnworth 3 as one day. On the way back you come up the North Stratford and, with two weeks get time for the Ashby/Coventry or the South Stratford as well.

We are currently on the Warwick Ring. Joined at Fazeley at 11.00 a.m. (having come down from Fradders) and are now moored at the Italian eatery just beyond Curdworth. Weather is just amazing - we are sunburnt and have changed the boat around to summer quarters. We are logging the times as we go so will report on the total time eventually. It is sooo quiet - where are all the boats? The odd boat here and there and that's it. I do hope there are a few around when we get to Hatton!

We're now moored at Catherine de Barnes. Barely a dozen boats seen yesterday - couple of Happy Valley (Excellence Afloat) boats doing the ring in a week. Everyone very cheerful. Loads of grot (bags, rubbish, wood) in the Saltley bit down through the cutting between bridges 86 and 84.

We're now up to 13hrs 15mins from Fazeley - puttering speed. Heading for Hatton Top Lock today to moor overnight. Then down the locks tomorrow. Any CWDF input happily received! Weather beautiful, we are sunburnt and this is the only way to live! :cheers:

PS Noticed our namesake arrived in the UK yesterday - but since it's 60m long and 60m wing tip to wing tip, I think we have the edge on canal accessibility!

Edited by Jo_

We're now moored at Catherine de Barnes. Barely a dozen boats seen yesterday - couple of Happy Valley (Excellence Afloat) boats doing the ring in a week. Everyone very cheerful. Loads of grot (bags, rubbish, wood) in the Saltley bit down through the cutting between bridges 86 and 84.

We're now up to 13hrs 15mins from Fazeley - puttering speed. Heading for Hatton Top Lock today to moor overnight. Then down the locks tomorrow. Any CWDF input happily received! Weather beautiful, we are sunburnt and this is the only way to live! :cheers:

PS Noticed our namesake arrived in the UK yesterday - but since it's 60m long and 60m wing tip to wing tip, I think we have the edge on canal accessibility!

Let us know if Tawny Owl has sunk when you get to Hatton Top Lock, won't you.

For preference, I'd moor up in the section between the Mid Warwickshire Yacht Club and the winding hole before Hatton top lock. The visitor moorings are well back from the lock, and the cutting can be a gloomy hole at the best of times

Richard