Tank Position

philsimo

Featured Posts

Going to start fitting out a 65` reverse layout boat in a few weeks time,but can`t decide where to put the remote pump out tank.

Where have you got yours? and does it affect the trim as it fills? :help:

Don`t tell me to get a cassette i`m having one of those as well. :rolleyes:

Put it where you have the space but make sure it right across the boat (side to side) then you will not get a tilt on.

Mine is about the size of a coffin and across the boat just in front of the engine bulkhead, it is under a step, down into the boat.

(standard boat layout)

Going to start fitting out a 65` reverse layout boat in a few weeks time,but can`t decide where to put the remote pump out tank.

Where have you got yours? and does it affect the trim as it fills? :help:

Don`t tell me to get a cassette i`m having one of those as well. :rolleyes:

Ours was under the bed which was a wardrobe' away from the remote macerator toilet.

This was on the starboard side.

Yes it did effect the trim as it filled:-

IMG_0542.JPG

Quite noticeably in fact.

Ours occupies two-thirds of the width of the boat, and is fairly small (just 35 gallons) so any list is negligible.

I put our p/o tank offset to port and a spare water tank on the starboard side which we can adjust the level of to balance p/o tank and also use as a backup if main tank runs dry.

I had to read that twice to convince my brain that you weren't drinking the water from a reserve poo-tank!

• Haha 1

Ours occupies two-thirds of the width of the boat, and is fairly small (just 35 gallons) so any list is negligible.

I had to read that twice to convince my brain that you weren't drinking the water from a reserve poo-tank!

and here - but I thought it was just me. I was thinking if I ever bumped into him on the cut what's the best way of declining a cup of tea.... :P

Ours is under the saloon table at the front of the boat and when full does alter the trim of the boat. We noticed this weekend that with the black water tank empty, the fuel tank full and the water tank full that the boat was sitting and riding bow high which did alter the ride.

NC is only a light boat though so even her relatively small tanks make a big difference to trim/list.

Ours is a large tank which fills the space under the cross double, extending across two thirds of the beam. The change in trim is noticeable when viewed from the stern but in practice this does not affect handling and is often offset by SWMBO acting as a counterbalance. ;)

Ours is a large tank which fills the space under the cross double, extending across two thirds of the beam. The change in trim is noticeable when viewed from the stern but in practice this does not affect handling and is often offset by SWMBO acting as a counterbalance. ;)

I think the reason ours affected the trim so much was that it was length ways under the bed and just about as far over to the hull side as it would go. I think if it had been nearer the centre line of the boat then the effect would have been less - though then it would have been were the under-bed storage is, with a huge empty and just about inaccessible space behind it.

These are some of the issues you don't think about when buying a used boat (or at least I didn't) - but you do log them away for future reference for if you ever change the boat or ever have one built as per the OP.

I think the reason ours affected the trim so much was that it was length ways under the bed and just about as far over to the hull side as it would go. I think if it had been nearer the centre line of the boat then the effect would have been less - though then it would have been were the under-bed storage is, with a huge empty and just about inaccessible space behind it.

These are some of the issues you don't think about when buying a used boat (or at least I didn't) - but you do log them away for future reference for if you ever change the boat or ever have one built as per the OP.

That`s exactly my problem, i don`t want to lose the storage under the bed.

Looking at the drawings again i think it may be possible to put it across the boat under the rear steps in the utility room.

Many thanks for the replies

Phil

Uniquely for a 57ft boat, when mine was still a young hire vessel she had two pump-out tanks, one each side, and two toilets. She was cleverly designed for six persons.

I took out one of the toilets and tanks to make office space. The remaining one is on the left side, obviously partly in the remaining toilet and the other half at the bottom of a wardrobe, where access to the cover plate is easy (A point to remember. Should the pump-out extractor pipe be blocked it will be within the tank and may need clearing by hand, as mine has on one occasion).

The boat trim is affected when it's full, but not enough to be uncomfortable. In fact it serves as a reminder to start looking out for a pump-out facility.

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter

Our boat has a holding tank of 45 galls under the bed, off the centre line to port. It also has a second flush water tank under the bed together with a dedicated pump. The water in the flush water tank therefore compensates for any lists so the boat is always upright because the weight remains constant. An added bonus is that because it is separate from the main potable water tank, the latter lasts much longer between fills. When the holding tank is full the flush water tank is vitually empty and is topped up when we have a pump out.

Howard

We wanted outside space so went for a 6ft bowdeck. There was enough room under this for us to have a 150 gall SS watertank followed by an 80 gall plastic waste tank behind it.

We obviously don't have trim issues and the difference in draft between full and empty tanks doesn't cause us any handling issues - seems to work OK for us.

Had I not had the long bow I'd have put the waste tank under the rear steps - across the whole width of the boat.

If you put the black water AND fresh water tanks on the same side and ballast accordingly, then as the black water tank fills, so will the fresh water tank empty more-or-less in sync.

Not my idea - I read it somewhere and the author reckoned it worked well for him.

Tony