Bed on a narrowboat

jonk

Featured Posts

Reading the thread on cross beds made me think about the possibilities for a comfortable bed configuration. There have been many discussions on this topic, which is an important part of living on a narrowboat - about 33% (probably more) of all time spent on the boat is in a bed after all!

Some of the possibilities that I have come across are:

Normal lengthways 6+' x 4'

Lengthways 6+' x 4.5' with a pull-out section or with a narrow corridor past the bed

Pull out from under the bow area (usually tug style but not always)

6+' x anything up to the width of the boat against the closed off bow or solid engine-room wall

Cross bed any width x length between cabin sides - realistically not much more than 6'

Fold out bed that forms a settee when not made up - solid foam sections

Futon type

I have not come across this type - has anyone got one like this?:-

standard solid bed that hinges up against the wall into a 'cupboard' (like you used to see in the movies but sideways). This could have the advantage of having the bed made up, no joins, and being out of the way during the day for the loss of a +_ 1' width of living space.

Obviously the only way that it could work pivoting over the short side would be against a solid bulkhead - could work for those with a trad with solid engine bulkhead or a cruiser with solid front bulkhead, but the width would depend upon the width across the roof - unless a 'shaped' bed is acceptable.

Have I missed any?

A friend of mine (who I keep nagging to join CWDF but I haven't spotted here yet!!) has an old trad working boat thingy with sloped walls for about 2/3 the length. Her bed (which looks to me a generous double and definitely 6'+ in length) hangs on chains. If needed, the chains can raise the bed (possibly on pulleys, I haven't really investigated) up to the wall and out of the way. I doubt it is completely flush, but it certainly gives more walkway and access to underbed storage.

If you're set on building something similar I could contact her to get more precise specs :D

Ours goes up into the wall so totally out of the way during the day.

Hello,

that sounds very interesting - how does it work?

John

A friend of mine (who I keep nagging to join CWDF but I haven't spotted here yet!!) has an old trad working boat thingy with sloped walls for about 2/3 the length. Her bed (which looks to me a generous double and definitely 6'+ in length) hangs on chains. If needed, the chains can raise the bed (possibly on pulleys, I haven't really investigated) up to the wall and out of the way. I doubt it is completely flush, but it certainly gives more walkway and access to underbed storage.

If you're set on building something similar I could contact her to get more precise specs :D

Hi, that sounds very interesting!!! :rolleyes: No - I am not at present looking at having a boat built, I am at present negotiating for a 57ft. Should that fail then I certainly will be looking at building a 40 - 45ft boat so then space will then be at a premium.

Thanks again,

John

I saw a boat that had the bed in the saloon,it folded up to the wall and looked like a wall unit during the day it had a table that folded down from the bed base for daytime use it was lovely.

That sounds a superb idea! That is really using space to full advantage.

Should I assume from this that the boat in question had very little tumblehome?

Tony

Not sure, but when the bed was in the up position it looked like a wall unit it even had little nooks either side to put things on these were non movable which is why it reminded me of a wall unit it was so well built.

I have a 4ft bed with a proper mattress that pivots on a hidden scaffold tube built into the bed frame. When closed the underside looks like a cupboard front. It lowers down and the outer third rests on 2 IKEA teak grating style storage boxes. The mattress and the made-up bedding is retained by straps, which can be slipped off in a couple of seconds.

It is cross-wise on a widebeam but would work just as well lengthways.

Folding bed mechanisms are expensive. My 7ft aluminium tube was recycled from scrap.

Ours goes up and down with a pulley. When its up it looks like a wall in our replica boatman's cabin c/w roses and castles. When its down, we have a 5' wide bed with lighting and book/drinks storage behind. Had to have a special mattress made in two parts but it's comfy and roomy and is made up all the time, even in the up position. I'd happily put a photo or two on here but can't see how to do it. Have mentioned this before..... :help:

Ours goes up and down with a pulley. When its up it looks like a wall in our replica boatman's cabin c/w roses and castles. When its down, we have a 5' wide bed with lighting and book/drinks storage behind. Had to have a special mattress made in two parts but it's comfy and roomy and is made up all the time, even in the up position. I'd happily put a photo or two on here but can't see how to do it. Have mentioned this before..... :help:

And you got an answer before, I posted one!

Picture%2B1099.jpg

You already host pictures for your blog, so you can link to those. Use the insert image button and paste in the address of the image. In case you don't recognise it, the one above is one of yours

Richard

Have put the pics in Gallery cos simples for me :blush:

So I see:

med_gallery_13096_2_212388.jpg

med_gallery_13096_2_386645.jpg

med_gallery_13096_2_242244.jpg

We have some lights like that, only with different coloured bilbs for parties...

:P

Richard

That bed design is really neat

Edited by RLWP

This is still a work in progress but it uses( will use) a standard domestic sized mattress.I haven't yet made the laptop shelf that will double as the support legs when the bed is folded down

Mike

That is just what I was thinking off! Looks very good to me.

Another possibility is a fixed bed under a tug deck. Nice and wide and as long as you like. Warrior's has minimal headroom (but it's worth the trade-off for width, comfort and convenience) but on a deep drafted boat like Alnwick it's more like having a whole separate room. It's what makes a well designed tug such an efficient use of space.