Liverpool Boat Show cancelled!

TheWilk

Featured Posts

Full press release talks of significant investment by BW and of the permanent pontoon legacy, strong foundations for future large maritime events have been laid. I assume from that most of the £500000 has been spent.

I seem to recall questioning BW's decision to pump money into the pontoons some months ago.

Starting to wonder could this be politically motivated.

David Cameron has been slagging Liverpool off of late, then what you would assume to be supporters of his pull out of a major event in the city.

Coincidence ??????

I was told weeks ago that the show was off,and the vessel we were going to have at the show was not needed.

Easy to say now, you might say, but why is it that such a venture was even suggested in the current financial climate? When I first heard about it I said that this was yet another case of BW making yet another poorly judged investment decision.

Could it be because the BW CEO seems to be an eternal optimist with no realist component?

That might explain the conversation I had with Wigan last week. I tried to book a trip on the link to go to the show and was told it was fully booked. At the time I assumed I was just too late but maybe they knew and were avoiding taking any bookings. I think i might try again now - there should be plenty of room!

Can I ask that, in future all links to Narrowboatworld have a warning in bright red, say 20 point disclaimer to tell me it's a link to the gates of Hades please?

Fairy nuff..

Can I ask that, in future all links to Narrowboatworld have a warning in bright red, say 20 point disclaimer to tell me it's a link to the gates of Hades please?

The £500,000 will have been spent by BW's regeneration directorate. No doubt BW was gambling on a good return over the next ten years.

However, BW admit to underspending on waterways maintenance for some years to the tune of £30m. This year it will be about £50m and in the first year of NWC £60m

I would question if BW should be investing in this sort of rather speculative venture at this time as they simply do not have the money. They should have learnt lessons from other failures.

However, £0.5m is not a big amount when you consider that over £20m of public money was spent on the three mills lock (aka the white elephant)and BW is now being hit for a few million more due to construction cost overrun and Transport for London trying to claw back money because it did not take lorries off the roads.

Then there is the Pubs Parnership and Gloucester Quays development where BW poured £33m down the drain simply because they were unwilling to pull out of something that they knew was going to fail.

**** WARNING - Gates of Hades Link *****