Boat Hire in Wales

TonyV

Featured Posts

As title asks - can anyone recommend a reliable boatyard to hire a boat from? Looking to do 4 day cruise Thanks in advance

editded fot rypos

Depends what part of Wales you want.

If North Wales on the Llangollen we hired with Anglo Welsh last year and found them ok.

Also Black Prtnce are ok don't know about any others hiring in Wales they are the only companys we have used.

Would recommend the Llangollen for the Pontcysyllte alone plus the pubs lol.

But if your thinking of the Monmouthshire & Brecon not got a clue.

As title asks - can anyone recommend a reliable boatyard to hire a boat from? Looking to do 4 day cruise Thanks in advance

editded for

Hiya.

When we did the Mons & Brec in June last year we used this company. Could not fault them.

http://www.cambriancruisers.co.uk/

John

Edited by johnmck

Hi again.

Where are you looking at cruising? The Mons & Brec is a very quiet canal with few locks, shallow in places but beautiful. The Llangollen is superb, but very busy at peak times, but stunning and enchanting. For a four day break i would still go for the Mons, you will not be dissapointed.

John.

Oh, and a big welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Edited by johnmck

I'd go for Black Prince from Chirk Marina. There boats are always well turned out and it's close to the Pontcysyllte aqueduct. There is an 8 page guide on the Llangollen in the March edition of Canal Boat which will give you all the details of hire firms you need, together with pubs and places of interest.

We just want somewhere tranquill for a a few days have seen this site?

http://www.maestermyn.co.uk/llangollen.htm

and are thinking about a Cadi class boat

Just asking for advice

Tony

Hi.

Think the route from here to Llangollen is Lock free but with a few lift bridges. The scenery is stunning and you will cross the aqueduct, what an experiance! You will be hooked, no matter what the weather, but remember, this is Wales=wet, at times.

John

Just asking for advice

Tony

It is very rear for the Llangollen to be tranquill. I understand the Mon and Breck is Tranquill.

It is very rear for the Llangollen to be tranquill. I understand the Mon and Breck is Tranquill.

I have to agree. The rear of the Llangollen is never tranquill...

:cheers:

Soz Ditchy, could not resist...

Edited by johnmck

I'd go for Black Prince from Chirk Marina. There boats are always well turned out and it's close to the Pontcysyllte aqueduct. There is an 8 page guide on the Llangollen in the March edition of Canal Boat which will give you all the details of hire firms you need, together with pubs and places of interest.

I agree about Black Prince boats.

The only reason we stopped using them was the extra charges for fuel they introduced.

The other thing with Black Prince is they never hire out a boat older than 5 years.

Great company and have to add always found the people who work for them to be friendly and helpful.

MMmmmmm Llangollen/tranquility nope something doesn't compute there, try Maestremyn Cruises not the most luxurious but nice people, Jack Mytons the first night then down the Monty days 2 and 3 then back now thats tranquility!!

Just asking for advice

Tony

Hi Tony not sure if you have booked your boat holiday yet but if you havent i would try

www.narrow-boat-hire.net

they have 45ft boats that are similar boats to the one you are looking at but prob a lot cheaper and more modern.

hope this helps the Llangollen is a great canal.

Hi lots of options to float down the llangollen from north west boat yards, so i would try latelink for mutiple choice at a better price.Have been twice from different boat yards, just depends what size you want at most competitive price,always better to have options...Timx

P.S Travelling after 6 pm till dusk there are not a lot of boats travelling, so if your looking for tranquility travel late, and spend the afternoon sampling the few good pubs, plan ahead with a good boat/pub guide.hic tx.

This Whixall based boat looks to be a cut above the average hire boat, particularly as it is a trad with fully enclosed cratch and a solid fuel stove. Pricing appears to be competetive as well.

Moortime Narrowboat Hire

(no connection with this company)

and very unusually for a hire boat has a cassette loo too - not something I've ever seen before....

and very unusually for a hire boat has a cassette loo too - not something I've ever seen before....

There's a few about - we hired such a boat over Xmas 2010 in the East Midlands area. Given the bitter cold and the frozen canals the more usual hire boat pump out dunny might have been a better option. I think on a short week / two week hire a P/O is probably the better option. We have booked one of the Whixall boats for later in the year.

Going back a bit, but when we did the Mon & Brec in 2000 we hired from Beacon Park boats and I'd strongly recommend them to anyone wanting to do that canal.

Seconded................. we hired Merlin and had a great holiday here - a nice boat and a really beautiful if somewhat shallow canal. From a boyz toyz perspective we had a low fast jet flypast some mornings. Will do this one again I'm sure.

HN

There's a few about -

Interesting, as it is generally considered that PO is a better option for hirers.

However for those hirers that want a cassette do you have yard and boat names.?