New Marina at Cropredy

Woodford

Featured Posts

Primary school headteacher Lynne Bowen said: “Our main concern is how close the marina will be to school grounds and the health and safety risks this will create for school.”

Has the headteacher ever visited any urban schools? They appear to cope with the close proximity of shops, houses and even people. :rolleyes:

In reality, without having visited this rural enclave, I suppose it's unfair to comment either way. I can only draw upon the comparison to Audlem where we moor. The village embraces the boaters with all they have to offer and the local economy benefits from the 'impact' made by the 200 berth Marina at Overwater, albeit at a greater distance from the proposal at Cropredy.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

PJ, it's pretty well established that the village infrastructure is pretty darned resilient: it copes with an extra 15,000 people for a few days each August!

The building of a small marina would give the chance for some of the local moorers who can only find towpath moorings at the moment to get a secure off-line berth.

I don't dissagree with you (although it is only for a few day a year - not all year round)

I was thinking more about the canal infrastructure. A small marinia of 30 or so boats would be manageable. A large marina of 250+ would put a severe strain on the canal (even if a lot of them never moved).

I think the school head is being a typical head teacher. No we can't have change in the village, I know lets bring in H & S reasons.

Came through Cropredy on Monday at school kicking out time. The road was chaotic to say the least. Cars parked anywhere they could, blocking the road for both cars and pedestrians. Now if any of the children wanted to cross the road, then that is a H & S issue.

I have to say I'm not in agreement of any marina development, large or small, for Cropredy. It doesn't need it. Mind you I don't live there or run a business there either, so what do I know.The locks are busy enough during the summer as it is. And, as has been proved recently, it doesn't take much for the water to run low and cause restrictions.

Martyn

Why don't the people of Cropredy invite a couple of villagers from Crick to their meeting? If they did I would bet that their fears would disappear. We moor at Crick and as far as I can tell the only impact on the village is a bit more trade for the shops and pubs. As to the increased boat traffic in and out, on an average summer day the number of boats entering and leaving Crick marina (which has 270 boats) is rarely more than ten, and I should know because our mooring is right by the entrance. And for those who think only rich people are in the marinas, the costs are only the same as many BW on-line moorings. I know this because I researched it before moving to Crick.

Edited to add - or better still take a few Cropredy residents to see Crick.

Edited by Neil Corbett

Why don't the people of Cropredy invite a couple of villagers from Crick to their meeting? If they did I would bet that their fears would disappear. We moor at Crick and as far as I can tell the only impact on the village is a bit more trade for the shops and pubs. As to the increased boat traffic in and out, on an average summer day the number of boats entering and leaving Crick marina (which has 270 boats) is rarely more than ten, and I should know because our mooring is right by the entrance. And for those who think only rich people are in the marinas, the costs are only the same as many BW on-line moorings. I know this because I researched it before moving to Crick.

Edited to add - or better still take a few Cropredy residents to see Crick.

The only reason I would hate ANOTHER marina being built is that it enables bw to further cut down on on line moorings. I DETEST marinas and in 22 years of being onboard I have only had to use them on 2 short occasions luckily. They hold nothing whatsoever for me and it may mean bw cut some of the lovely on line moorings at Crporedy in the future. If moorings in marinas were cheaper than on line I still would have no interest.....yuk............ :)

Well, as some one who spent some years moored at Crick Marina, I would not hold the owner up as a paragon of virtue. It has a great setting but is far from perfect. If he gets permission to build at Cropredy it would not be on my list to consider. I also believe that size marina is not needed or sensible for that area. The smaller unit seems more suited to the area.

Planning applicants often justify their case by citing the economic or social benefits they will bring to the community....even Barby claimed it was creating 14 jobs in a newspaper report back in June!! I have to confess, though, I see little evidence that marinas bring much long-term benefit to the communities in which they are situated. We stopped at Yelvertoft on the Leicester Line of the GU last year and whilst in the local shop I asked if the new marina (150 boats) had brought them any additional trade to which I got the reply "practically nothing". Since then, the village pub has apparently gone bust, too. A trader I spoke to in Audlem in the summer suggested that most "boat trade" was from passing boats whose crews walked into the village rather than marina people who had cars at their disposal who went to the supermarkets in Nantwich or brought their stuff from home. Also, as soon as there is an onsite shop and/or bar there is even less incentive for people to leave the site.

I guess the reality is that, relative to the acreage they take up, marinas employ relatively few people and boaters money doesn't seem to spread far into the local community, either, which is a shame, but it's easy to understand why non-boating local people might be against what they see as a floating mobile home park on their doorstep.

Good news on the approval. I moor at Crick and can only speak highly of the marina. We shop most days at the local Co op and post office plus frequent the local pubs. I know most of the moorers add to the local economy. The pub at Yelvertoft has not closed. An entreprenurial spirit is good to see in these economic difficult times as is a positive vision. Good luck with the development. Nina

The Brasenose Arms is the one that is still open and doing rather well . . .

It may be just coincidental but since people started talking about the proposed marinas, that supposedly will provide a boost to local businesses, one pub has closed, the post office and gift shop has announced that it will close at the end of January 2012, the Cinnamon Pantry (tea shop) has closed and the hourly bus service that has, for the last five months, linked Cropredy to Daventry and Banbury will revert to its original route (avoiding Cropredy) from 12th December.

We are beginning to feel a bit isolated down here . . .

Survival is all about overheads at the moment. You can just about manage if your overheads are reasonable but if they are not and your cashfloww is reduced, then you do have to make some hard choices.Pubs are doing it tough. Life is a necessity based option at the moment, not a choice. Support your local conveniences is the best way forward.

The following information is freely available at http://www.enterpriseinns.com

RED LION CROPREDY - Retail Partnership Lease

Guide Rent £32,500 pa

The Red Lion is a beautiful 15th century thatched inn situated in the heart of the attractive village of Cropredy and enjoys a convenient position next to the Oxford Canal system and is located 4 miles north of Banbury.

The core custom of the pub comes from the local villagers but is also known as a quality food destination pub and enjoys trade from tourists, hikers and canal dwellers. The village is renowned for its annual four day folk festival which brings a large amount of business to the property. Enterprise Inns requires an experienced publican who can embrace the village atmosphere and trade whilst also accommodating the influx of customers in the summer months.

Red Lion,

Red Lion Street,

Cropredy,

Oxfordshire,

OX17 1PB

It has been suggested that the Red Lion is now owned by the same person/people as The Brasenose. I don't know if this is true.

But I am sad that the pub that is not the Brasenose is closed. But not surprised.

Martyn

I've been told that too.

Broadside in the Brasenose is an eye watering (for me) £3.70 a pint

I've been told that too.

Broadside in the Brasenose is an eye watering (for me) £3.70 a pint

It does not suprise me one jot that the Red Lion is closed. I started a thread on how bad it was some months ago, the Brasenose has always been better. Its very sad that any pub closes and a lot of it is down to overheads but some like the Red Lion dont help theirselves. Another great pub situated on the Oxford is the Boat at Thrupp and watch this space, it so badly run if it doesnt change hands soon that will be closed too. My son runs a huge managed house and he makes the brewery and himself a good profit and my sister owns a small freehouse that is very very busy. It can still be done but putting time in and knowing what you are doing helps immensely.

Survival is all about overheads at the moment. You can just about manage if your overheads are reasonable but if they are not and your cashfloww is reduced, then you do have to make some hard choices.Pubs are doing it tough. Life is a necessity based option at the moment, not a choice. Support your local conveniences is the best way forward.

Overheads and survival is an eternal problem!

Net profit is key to a healthy business and high overheads endanger the survival rate of any enterprise. What amazes me though, is that when times are tight, the owners of pub chains appear reluctant to ease the burden of high rent and lease values pressed upon their tenants. Then ultimately, when the pub becomes unsustainable through economic trends, they then have to go through the process of recruiting new tenants only to repeat the same mistakes all over again.

I believe it's called greed!

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Overheads and survival is an eternal problem!

Net profit is key to a healthy business and high overheads endanger the survival rate of any enterprise. What amazes me though, is that when times are tight, the owners of pub chains appear reluctant to ease the burden of high rent and lease values pressed upon their tenants. Then ultimately, when the pub becomes unsustainable through economic trends, they then have to go through the process of recruiting new tenants only to repeat the same mistakes all over again.

I believe it's called greed!

Mike

Yes I agree. We're seeing this now in our local town with shops closing. The reason they are giving for the closure is an unwillingness by the landlord to renegotiate a more reasonable rent. They could probably survive the slow trade if they could have a rent adjustment if only on a temporary basis. I cannot complain about my landlord, he's been fair from the start but my overheads are very reasonable anyway. Will be interesting to see what the next quarter brings. Fingers crossed. No point going into it with a negative frame of mind.