My first question about loos

Barry

Featured Posts

My boat is fitted with just a sea toilet so my waste would be pumped straight into the waterway if I used it. I'm not happy about this at all so I've decided that, for now, I will buy a bog standard cassette loo from a caravan outlet and see if I can get a spare cassette in case I find myself at a point on a journey where an elsan disposal point is hard to find. I'll try this for a year and if I can't get on with it I'll have a pump-out fitted and keep the portaloo as a backup.

My questions are these: -

1) How easy is it to find an elsan disposal point on the canal and river systems - I am on the Fossedyke so will be exploring the Trent, Witham, Yorkshire Ouse, and the northern wide canal network.

2) Is it really necessary to use Elsan Blue? I'm thinking about the option I've read about on here (for when the Elsan disposal point at the marina freezes up) of being able to bring a cassette home and dispose of it directly into my drain point in my garden - Am I right in thinking that the water authority would not want me to put blue into the the normal sewage system?

My boat is fitted with just a sea toilet so my waste would be pumped straight into the waterway if I used it. I'm not happy about this at all so I've decided that, for now, I will buy a bog standard cassette loo from a caravan outlet and see if I can get a spare cassette in case I find myself at a point on a journey where an elsan disposal point is hard to find. I'll try this for a year and if I can't get on with it I'll have a pump-out fitted and keep the portaloo as a backup.

My questions are these: -

1) How easy is it to find an elsan disposal point on the canal and river systems - I am on the Fossedyke so will be exploring the Trent, Witham, Yorkshire Ouse, and the northern wide canal network.

2) Is it really necessary to use Elsan Blue? I'm thinking about the option I've read about on here (for when the Elsan disposal point at the marina freezes up) of being able to bring a cassette home and dispose of it directly into my drain point in my garden - Am I right in thinking that the water authority would not want me to put blue into the the normal sewage system?

I'm not familiar with the incidence of elsan points in your area, perhaps Phylis will know.

Whilst there are alternatives to Elsan Blue, opinion is divided as to the merits of each. However, I can say that if the drain in your garden is on mains sewage, you will not uset the water authority by tipping blue down there.

Formaldehyde-based Elsan Blue is looking a bit old fashioned these days, unless you're into pickling your waste. I think most people agree that there are some much better bio-based alternatives around now.

Just a selection - I'm not sure which are the best.

http://www.bluebio.co.uk/

http://www.biomagic.com.au/

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/toilet-systems/jabsco/odorlos1262043.bhtml

My boat is fitted with just a sea toilet so my waste would be pumped straight into the waterway if I used it. I'm not happy about this <SNIP>

My thoughts Bazza as an early adopter of cassette loos on a boat (previous extensive experience when caravanning)-

Spare cassette 100% essential IMHO - I am tempted to have at least 2 spare - 1 definitely. (Obviously with 2 spares storage can become an issue). We had our first stay on the boat with the new loo last week and guess when the red 'tank nearly full' light came on, yup midnight! :rolleyes: so much easier to quickly swap than empty at an inconvienient time.

As per Dave - I'm not familiar with the Elsan disposal points on your stretch/locale.

I would say yes definitely some form of fluid in the waste tank is essential - the pong when you open the flap will be bad enough in winter without, even worse in the height of one of our our new hot summers!!

In our caravanning days I never particularly was a fan of the eco friendly stuff - it never seemed to break the waste matter down as well as the nuclear powered 'Blue' stuff. However reading some of the posts preceding mine I am minded to try some of the newer products as it's about 6-7 years ago since I last tried them in our caravan and in the interests of the environment it would be good to use eco stuff if it does the job.

When we caravanned we also often used to bring the 'van home and empty the cassette waste tank into the domestic system - I checked with our water authority at the time and they had no issues with it going into the main sewer.

Good luck - oh and when the inevitable 'toilet wars' kick off later on can I borrow the helmet in your avatar??

Edited by MJG

We use the Blue Bio stuff, and it works really well. As the cassette had been used with formaldehyde previously it took a few cycles and good rinses to get rid of it, so persevere and don't give up when it pongs first use or two.

Formaldehyde-based Elsan Blue is looking a bit old fashioned these days, unless you're into pickling your waste. I think most people agree that there are some much better bio-based alternatives around now.

I don't think that "most people" agree at all.

For every eco-warrior proclaiming the virtues of the latest bio-product for use in their tank, there will be several people popping up to say "tried that, and it wasn't effective"

We still use Elsan Blue , Have tried a few of the eco products & havent found them as good (We will try the newer ones again next season)

Sea Toilets are Prohibited on BW waters (Not sure if thats the case on all EA waters - it certainly is illegal on the non tidal Thames)

Not been down the Fossdyke / Witham much last yr but remember Elsan points at Torksey & Lincoln & a particularly smelly one at Saxilby !

Elsan points at Beeston / Gunthorpe & Cromwell on the Trent.

THe BW Guides at Waterscape should give you the info you require for any waterway - Not always totally up to date though.

My thoughts Bazza as an early adopter of cassette loos on a boat (previous extensive experience when caravanning)-

Spare cassette 100% essential IMHO - I am tempted to have at least 2 spare - 1 definitely. (Obviously with 2 spares storage can become an issue). We had our first stay on the boat with the new loo last week and guess when the red 'tank nearly full' light came on, yup midnight! :rolleyes: so much easier to quickly swap than empty at an inconvienient time.

Ok - next question then - Where did you get your spare cassette from? - I bought a Thetford 165 this morning and when I asked about a second cassette the guy just looked blank for a while "dunno mate we've never been asked before"

I would say yes definitely some form of fluid in the waste tank is essential - the pong when you open the flap will be bad enough in winter without, even worse in the height of one of our our new hot summers!!

Ok I can live with that answer - is that the voice of experience?

In our caravanning days I never particularly was a fan of the eco friendly stuff - it never seemed to break the waste matter down as well as the nuclear powered 'Blue' stuff. However reading some of the posts preceding mine I am minded to try some of the newer products as it's about 6-7 years ago since I last tried them in our caravan and in the interests of the environment it would be good to use eco stuff if it does the job.

I can see some experimenting going on, on my own behalf

When we caravanned we also often used to bring the 'van home and empty the cassette waste tank into the domestic system - I checked with our water authority at the time and they had no issues with it going into the main sewer.

That's reassuring

Good luck - oh and when the inevitable 'toilet wars' kick off later on can I borrow the helmet in your avatar??

Keep your hands off my helmet that man! The only person who is allowed to touch my helmet is me

Actually I'm really pleased that no-one has weighed in with "go straight for the pump out" but I suppose there's time

We use the Blue Bio stuff, and it works really well. As the cassette had been used with formaldehyde previously it took a few cycles and good rinses to get rid of it, so persevere and don't give up when it pongs first use or two.

Thanks - it's nice to hear the obvious voice of experience

Bazza, has your boat got a current Bsc? if it has, the sea toilet must be capped off.

It has - done within the last 18 months and I had a survey done in November - neither mentioned it

Nigel

Hi Barry - the quote thing has gone wonky so I will answer as best I can with reference to your questions -

Ok - next question then - Where did you get your spare cassette from? - I bought a Thetford 165 this morning and when I asked about a second cassette the guy just looked blank for a while "dunno mate we've never been asked before"

Midland Chandlers stock the one for mine (C-250) any good chandlers or thetford stockist should be able to get you one - they sometimes pop up on ebay (Not that I would go for used one mind . There is one about 3/4 of the way down the page on the link below as an example -

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/thetford_cassette.htm - it's less than half of the price of the one for mine too!

Ok I can live with that answer - is that the voice of experience?

Yes - including caravanning in France in temps of mid to high 30's - not nice - even 'blue' struggles at that sort of temp to keep odors down if you you don't use the correct or more than correct ratio and importantly keep the solids covered in liquid at all times.

There is indeed time for a toilet war to break out - I almost feel a tad cheated one hasn't yet…….

Edited by MJG

It has previously been reported many times that buying a spare cassette, (new or "second user") can cost nearly as much as the complete loo to which it relates.

Apparently for the porta-potty types, (as opposed to built in cassetes), complete units are often sold quite cheaply in local ads in papers.

Depends how you feel about "second hand" I guess, but keeping your eyes peeled, you may find something.

I'd say only having one cassette for a boat loo is tantamount to useless - you really can only operate with at least one spare, as you are unlikely to just happen to fill it when passing a disposal point.

For every eco-warrior proclaiming the virtues of the latest bio-product for use in their tank, there will be several people popping up to say "tried that, and it wasn't effective"

There are alternatives, green works just the same but is supposed to be mire Eco friendly

Heck, if it works on elephant droppings, how much more effective do you want it to be? :)

Edited by Natalie Graham

I'd say only having one cassette for a boat loo is tantamount to useless - you really can only operate with at least one spare, as you are unlikely to just happen to fill it when passing a disposal point.

Of course you could do as we & many others do & empty before its full ;)

That of course assumes the time to travel the distance to the next elsan disposal is less then the time it takes you to fill it - and that it is in working order when you get there -

Personally I wouldn't risk it.

Grammar edit

Edited by MJG

We could.

But as I feel quite badly about the amount of chemicals added to it as treatment, I'd rather only empty when full, knowing that a dosage of "blue" is necessary as infrequently as possible.

Also, if you follow the forum, you will know that when boating, we hardly have a reputation for hanging about - we tend to get a bit of a move on, so are probably passing Elsan facilities more regularly than most.

Even so, I know of times when I'd not guarantee to get from one facility to the next (working!) one, before we had filled a cassette. With the full crew on board, a cassette often lasts us less than 2 days between requirements to swap it over.

Bazza

If you are going to experiment with fluids, use the 'bio' ones first, then, if you really must, try the 'blue'.

They work in different ways, the bio's use oxygen and 'good bacteria' to break the waste down, the 'blue' just kills everything.

To those that have changed from 'blue' to 'bio' (and not been happy) the tank/containers must be thoroughly cleaned of all 'blue' because any residual 'blue' will stop/kill the 'bio's.

Searching the internet and phoning various large retailers draws a blank for a spare cassette for my particular model (Thetford 165). I'm watching a new loo on e-bay but going by it's brown colour it looks like an old model so I'm not sure it's a perfect match for mine - plus the seller seems kind of reluctant to post it.

However I have seen one of these (clicky) which could be useful as a standby and not expensive

Anybody know anything about them?

Bazza

If you are going to experiment with fluids, use the 'bio' ones first, then, if you really must, try the 'blue'.

They work in different ways, the bio's use oxygen and 'good bacteria' to break the waste down, the 'blue' just kills everything.

To those that have changed from 'blue' to 'bio' (and not been happy) the tank/containers must be thoroughly cleaned of all 'blue' because any residual 'blue' will stop/kill the 'bio's.

Good thinking Bottle

I don't think that "most people" agree at all.

That's because most people only use it once or twice having had a tank full of Formaldehyde base fluid in before. It truly is nasty stuff and will take a while to get rid of in the system with the temporary side effect of stopping the new 'green' product working.

That's because most people only use it once or twice having had a tank full of Formaldehyde base fluid in before. It truly is nasty stuff and will take a while to get rid of in the system with the temporary side effect of stopping the new 'green' product working.

Mmmm wish I'd started with the green stuff now...

bugger :rolleyes: - just realised I've been sucked into a toilet fluid war rather than a straightforward toilet one...

Edited by MJG

Bazza the link I provided you above shows a cassette for the 165-

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/thetford_cassette.htm

3rd up from bottom - priced at £51.95 ref number AF230/T. or is it out of stock??

Found it now Martyn - ta - crikey it's nearly as much as a complete new loo!