Grand Union

Ray T

Featured Posts

With Calcutt Locks and 6 of the Hatton flight closed until mid March we won't be going any where even if the cut wasn't frozen.

Shame I quite like cruising early in the new year.

Do you think I will get a rebate on my license???

Well that means it will be very quiet on our moorings over the next three months

David at least you will have access to Hillmorton & Braunston.

In our case we can't go via Calcutt, also I have discovered Long Itchington locks are also scheduled for repair.

Mrs T says all we have left is to now plan an epic voyage to "The Boat Inn" and back several times!

With Calcutt Locks and 6 of the Hatton flight closed until mid March we won't be going any where even if the cut wasn't frozen.

Shame I quite like cruising early in the new year.

Do you think I will get a rebate on my license???

At least part of your licence fee is spent on maintenance to locks. If they don't do the work everyone's screaming and if they do people complain as well. Was the work on Calcutt Locks & the Hatton flight scheduled maintenance?

<snip>Was the work on Calcutt Locks & the Hatton flight scheduled maintenance?

It's an emergency stoppage as the offside bottom-end lock-landing of the top lock at Calcutt has failed.

Apparently, the stone blocks are lying on top of wooden piles, which have rotted!

Edited by Dorlan

Yep we moor at Calcutt, so will be trapped by this too.

The offside bottom landing of the top lock has collapsed away from the wall. Apparently there are no footings so the lock wall is in danger of collapse, hence the need for the emergency stoppage and the draining of the pound below the top lock. I guess not so good for the marina either, that pound is where there service area is, and the hire/share boats are moored.

Given there is also a planned stoppage at Long Itchington lock 12, I believe our only trip out until mid March is to the Blue Lias pub turning at the Kayes Arm, 8 locks each way.

At least part of your licence fee is spent on maintenance to locks. If they don't do the work everyone's screaming and if they do people complain as well. Was the work on Calcutt Locks & the Hatton flight scheduled maintenance?

Yes I realise this.

The last comment was meant to be "tongue in cheek".

Yep we moor at Calcutt, so will be trapped by this too.

The offside bottom landing of the top lock has collapsed away from the wall. Apparently there are no footings so the lock wall is in danger of collapse, hence the need for the emergency stoppage and the draining of the pound below the top lock. I guess not so good for the marina either, that pound is where there service area is, and the hire/share boats are moored.

Seems a long shut down just to rebuild a lock landing

David at least you will have access to Hillmorton & Braunston.

In our case we can't go via Calcutt, also I have discovered Long Itchington locks are also scheduled for repair.

Mrs T says all we have left is to now plan an epic voyage to "The Boat Inn" and back several times!

Very true. :D

Seems a long shut down just to rebuild a lock landing

I think the complication is the lack of footings which is compromising the wall as well. But it does seem a long stoppage a what is a rather strategic point on the system (well for us at least!). Is this lock not ones of the top one in terms of lock usage count.

Also, I was wondering about the "heritage" nature of this. For a 200 year old lock matching bricks and lime mortar etc would be used. So what about a 1930's lock, do they use 1930's concrete?

I think the complication is the lack of footings which is compromising the wall as well. But it does seem a long stoppage a what is a rather strategic point on the system (well for us at least!). Is this lock not ones of the top one in terms of lock usage count.

Also, I was wondering about the "heritage" nature of this. For a 200 year old lock matching bricks and lime mortar etc would be used. So what about a 1930's lock, do they use 1930's concrete?

Thinking about it, off side landing could be part of the original single lock so maybe heritage my come into it.

• 2 weeks later...

The damaged lock landing at Calcutt Top Lock.

dscf3930.jpg

As a matter of interest the GU towards Wigrams is now passable but there is still thickish ice from Calcutt Bottom Lock to Kate boats at Stockton.

Edited by Ray T