How Old are You?

davidk65

Featured Posts

My wife and I are both 69 years young.

Unfortunatly we did not start boating until some 3 years ago. Oh how we wish we had discovered boating ealier in life.

Of all the members, would it be possible to establish an age profile? Of particular interest for us would be how many are over 60/70 and older.

Because boating is very physical, it would be intersting to find out what tips the older generation of boaters

employ to make life easier on the cut and what they avoid.

DavidK

Edited by davidk65

Hi David.

I fall into your 60/70 category (just). I don't agree however that boating is very physical, I always tell people that boating or locks in particular are as hard as you make it, you can go at it like a Royal Tournament gun crew or you can plod along at a very pedestrian pace. I think there is a rough cross section on here though with a bias toward live aboard's.

I think there should be an age limit imposed on the canals, no under 30's allowed and that includes the pubs.

Edited. Why do I keep doing that.

Edited by John Orentas

Hi David.

I fall into your 60/70 category (just). I don't agree however that boating is very physical, I always tell people that boating or locks in particular are as hard as you make it, you can go at it like a Royal Tournament gun crew or you can plod along at a very pedestrian pace. I think there is a rough cross section on here though with a bias toward live aboard's.

I think there should be an age limit imposed on the canals, no over 30's allowed and that includes the pubs.

no over 30S? doesn;t that rule out quote a lot of people.

Edited by John Orentas

I fall into your 60/70 category (just).

I think there should be an age limit imposed on the canals, no over 30's allowed and that includes the pubs.

So why are you still here? :)

I assume you meant to write under 30's

If so, Dan etc. - comments please. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, to answer the original question, I'm 47 and new to boating.

As Paula says, some females are funny about that sort of thing, so I'd better not reveal OCM's age. But she's 3 years younger than me. :angry:

Well both of us my OH and I are in the OAP category, we still manage to enjoy cruising. As far as locks are concerned when once we would do a flight of 26 or more locks in a day we now just take our time and leisurely cruise over a couple or three days. We do tend to only travel for around 4/5 hours daily now and stop an extra day or two if the mood takes us. One advantage of retirement is that we can take things a little slower.

I assume you meant to write under 30's

Eatherway, under or over 30, its a rediculas thing to say!

- My grandad and me make a excelent team, he's deffonatly over 30, and im deffonatly under 30!!

Back to the origanal question, im 18, and have been boating since i was 4.

- I can remember visting her while she was being built, her being pulled out of the mill, lanched, and pulled up the canal by the boatyard staff for her "maiden voyage" (the engine etc hadnt yet been finshed!)

Daniel

Hi

I'm 58 going on 59 and Mrs Bullfrog is 61. We both wish we had started boating earlier than last year - it's so much fun! We don't find any physical difficulty yet but we did hear one lady on the GU describing some of the badly balanced lock-gates as similar to a do-it-yourself Hysterectomy!

Regards

David B

That was me ! Yes I meant UNDER 30.

To you want to boot Me, Liam, Sam, Chris, and everyone else under 30 off the canal system.

Well hard luck, im staying!

- And in 50years time, all being well, i'll still be going strong! :rolleyes:

Daniel

Good grief. I had no idea that there was a cutoff age for operating locks! At 51 years old, I am now over-the-hill in the narrowboating world. How disappointing.

I sure am glad that I'm not too old to enjoy waterskiing, hiking and dirt bike riding. :rolleyes:

Allie

f8880e76.jpg

No-one under 50 can afford a boat. No-one over 51 can manage the locks. That gives me a window of 1 year to aim for! whoopee!

I'm 20 as I said above, I got my little 30ft Narrowboat when I was 18, so I don't agree with the no one can afford a boat over a certain age malarky :rolleyes:

To you want to boot Me, Liam, Sam, Chris, and everyone else under 30 off the canal system.

Well hard luck, im staying!

I don't think they meant that :angry: but if they did they've got no chance haha!

Edited because of typo

Edited by Liam

.. so I don't agree with the no one can afford a boat over a certain age malarky :rolleyes:

And nor do I Liam - I was being ironic! (Obviously doesn't translate in text mode!)

And David, my parents are still boating at sea in their 70's. May you have many more happy years with your boat! :angry:

Age is a state of mind.... OK, it's a smokescreen, I've just turned 48, but there must have been a mistake somewhere!

I should be a lot younger as my ex says that my 'sense of humour is juvenile' and I 'go around doing things that people half my age do'....

Seems like fun to me and my kids don't seem to be too embarrassed by the old man....

I see a lot of potential owners in all the age rangers, but one thing is very common retirees & divorcees!

Another strange thing is that I can't remember the last request I had for a non residential boat. (And that's not because we don't advertise them.)

I wonder if new boat prices are getting past the affordable point for the average leisure user?

Edited by Gary Peacock

I'm afraid I'm in the under 30's category. I'll be joining the grown ups in a couple of months though! So I hope I don't bump into John before March or he might try and sink me!

And Gary, you are right. there is no way on earth I could afford a flat or house and a boat. The only way I can do it is by living on board and not bothering with land based properties. Land is for losers anyway.