Another Ice Breaking Video

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

This is a video of David from Heyford Boat Yard bringing a hire boat through to take to Banbury (Tooley's Dry Dock) I followed him through to Banbury.

Having watched this boat plus Dusty last week I still say ice breaking causes slight damage to the very front (Blacking that is) but not to the side of the boat.

I will post a couple more videos tomorrow

Good old matt!

But yes, while i was amazed how well our blacking held up last year when we did a little bit of dabbling in the ice it was certainly clearly that the boat we where following had less blacking around its bow at the end of the day than it did at the start.

Daniel

I moved through some thin ice last winter and it completely stripped the blacking from the bow of my boat at the waterline. The blacking was 4 years old so perhaps it was a bit fragile. The only reason I moved was because I knew I was going into drydock a few months later, but I'd never move in ice if I'd recently blacked the boat unless for some reason it was completely unavoidable.

Edited by blackrose

I dunno why, but I can't et the second of those to play on either a choice of two machines, (one on Ubuntu, one on Vista, both running Firefox).

The other two are good, though!

There's a very good video on youtube called, ice breaking on the Stourbridge canal, filmed yesterday.. don't know how to link it to here, but it's putting me off trying to move my boat soon..

Casp'

Just paste the address in your browser into the text box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3O2mZ15po&feature=related

They did seem to make that look hard work, it wasn't even that thick. I think the people on the towpath breaking ice would have been better off on the boat add a bit of extra weight. Fun video though!

Some of that ice is a bit chunky, if a bit went under the counter would the prop just chop it up or would it likely be more serious?

Steve

The ice breaks just like it does in a blender, however I have heard of ice getting trapped between prop and counter causing the engine to stall.

Mike

Edited by mykaskin