Tragic news.

Travis

Featured Posts

Mike the regular steerer of the Marton Emperor trip boat at Foulridge died this afternoon. He was knocked off his bike by a Hit and Run driver this morning and left at the side of the road in our village. Wen and I are absolutely gutted, he sailed past nearly every day in all sorts of weather and was always ready for a laugh. 'Cant believe what has happened. Only 36 for Gods sake.

Andy.

Mike the regular steerer of the Marton Emperor trip boat at Foulridge died this afternoon. He was knocked off his bike by a Hit and Run driver this morning and left at the side of the road in our village. Wen and I are absolutely gutted, he sailed past nearly every day in all sorts of weather and was always ready for a laugh. 'Cant believe what has happened. Only 36 for Gods sake.

Andy.

Know the area, know the boat didn't know Mike, but sincere sympathies to those that did...

Sad news. I got hit by a car on a training session a few years ago and was lucky to have only minor injuries. Too many cyclists are killed or injured by careless motorists, many of who only get a slap on the wrist. My condolences to his friends and family.

Very sad and all too commonplace.

Over 40 years of cycling I've had a couple of friends killed and lost count of those injured (including myself), some horribly.

Surprisingly in view of the numbers injured (or even killed) by cyclists we hear a lot more complaining about bad cyclists than bad motorists.

My condolences to his family.

Very sad - hope the police appeal works:

22 November 2010 Last updated at 21:53 BBC

Man killed in 'hit-and-run' crash near Barnoldswick

A cyclist has died in hospital after he was hurt in a suspected hit-and-run crash in Lancashire.

Michael Isherwood, 36, from Barnoldswick, was found next to his bicycle at the side of Kelbrook Road in Salterforth near the town at 1030 GMT.

He was airlifted to the Royal Blackburn Hospital but later died from his injuries.

Lancashire police want local garages to report any suspicious cars that may have been involved in a collision.

Det Insp Mark Rothwell, of Lancashire police, said: "I would appeal for anyone who may have been in the area at around 10.30am to come forward and contact police if they have any information.

"In particular, I am appealing to anyone who may have come across any damaged or abandoned vehicles in the surrounding areas or to anyone who may have had a car brought to them for repairs to the front of the vehicle to come forward and contact police.

"I am also appealing to the driver of the vehicle to come forward and do the right thing and contact police."

Edit: Quite a long article with a photograph of Mike in the Lancashire Telegraph here

Edited by Josher

As a now somewhat lapsed cyclist, I find this very, very sad indeed.

It ought to be possible to cycle on public roads with a fair guarantee of not being likely to get killed or maimed.

Sadly this kind of thing happens far too often, despite most cyclists now going to far, far greater lengths to make themselves visible than would have been the case in years gone by.

Those that commit what is effectively manslaughter unfortunately rarely seem to get caught, or face any significant custodial sentence when they are.

That really is sad news indeed, and being quite local aswell, it just makes you sad to know there are people out there that are callus enough to run away after hitting a cyclist, I just hope they catch the sod who did it...

That's one thing that makes me worry about cycling on roads, idiot drivers and car thieves that are a danger to everyone, not just cyclists... :(

Update:

Man arrested after Pendle cyclist's death

12:10pm Tuesday 23rd November 2010 Lancashire Telegraph for full version.

A 46-YEAR-OLD man has this morning been arrested on suspicion of death by dangerous driving after the death of a cyclist in Pendle yesterday.

Victim Michael Isherwood, a boatmaster, was thrown up to 40 yards by a car after it struck him in Kelbrook Road, Barnoldswick, at 10.30am yesterday morning.

Mr Isherwood, 36, who was cycling towards Foulridge Canal Cruises where he worked, was airlifted to Royal Blackburn Hospital.

But police said he suffered ‘catastrophic’ injuries and was pronounced dead in hospital.

Today a man from Hyde, Greater Manchester, was arrested in connection with the incident and is being questioned by officers at Burnley Police Station.

Update:

Man arrested after Pendle cyclist's death

12:10pm Tuesday 23rd November 2010 Lancashire Telegraph for full version.

A 46-YEAR-OLD man has this morning been arrested on suspicion of death by dangerous driving after the death of a cyclist in Pendle yesterday.

Victim Michael Isherwood, a boatmaster, was thrown up to 40 yards by a car after it struck him in Kelbrook Road, Barnoldswick, at 10.30am yesterday morning.

Mr Isherwood, 36, who was cycling towards Foulridge Canal Cruises where he worked, was airlifted to Royal Blackburn Hospital.

But police said he suffered ‘catastrophic’ injuries and was pronounced dead in hospital.

Today a man from Hyde, Greater Manchester, was arrested in connection with the incident and is being questioned by officers at Burnley Police Station.

At least that's something just need a conviction now- I can't imagine what drives a person to leave somebody they have hit dying at the roadside - 'I panicked' is often cited I understand, lets hear what this guy claims....

At least that's something just need a conviction now- I can't imagine what drives a person to leave somebody they have hit dying at the roadside - 'I panicked' is often cited I understand, lets hear what this guy claims....

I know about one who didn't panic.

I met a local cyclist who was fetched off at high speed on a hill by a woman doing a 3 point turn after overshooting a junction. While he was lying semi concious in the road with a broken back she went into his back pocket, got out his phone and used it to call an ambulance before she cleared off.

The message was to the effect that she had found a cyclist lying in the road.

She was not traced.

You couldn't make a story like this up.

Update: A 46-year-old man arrested over a fatal hit-and-run crash in Lancashire has been released on bail. BBC 24 Nov 2010

A 46-year-old man from Hyde, Greater Manchester, who was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving has now been released.

He is due to answer bail on 21 February.

• 2 months later...

Accused man appeared in court today ...

Man charged after Pendle cyclist's death

5:27pm Monday 21st February 2011 Burnley Citizen

A MAN has been charged following the death of a Barnoldswick man in a suspected hit and run last November. Michael Isherwood, 36, was allegedly knocked off his pedal bike and killed following the accident in Kelbrook Road, Salterforth, on November 22. Andrew Edwards, 47, of Bagshaw Street, Hyde, Cheshire has been charged with causing death by driving without due care and attention and failing to stop after an accident. He has been bailed to appear at Burnley Magistrates' Court on Tuesday, March 8. Mr Isherwood worked at Foulridge Canal Cruises and was on his way to work when he died.

Comments unavailable on this story for legal reasons.

Please update when the verdict is announced.

In the meantime ...

"Careless" driving charge in cyclist's hit and run death

22 February 2011 Road cc

A 47 year old man has been charged with causing the death by driving without due care and attention of 36-year old Michael Isherwood and also with failing to stop after the accident. Michael was a boat master for a canal cruising business and had been cycling to work through Salterforth in Lancashire when he was struck by a car which then failed to stop. Despite being airlifted to hospital, he succumbed to what were described as “catastrophic” injuries.

Andrew Edwards, of Bagshaw Street, Hyde, Cheshire has been bailed to appear at Burnley Magistrates' Court on Tuesday, March 8.

Road.cc has contacted the Lancashire Crown Prosecution Service to ask about the decision to charge the motorist with causing death by “careless” driving rather than the more serious offence of “dangerous” driving. We will update this story with any response.