Locks & quays

Locks and Quays

Featured Posts

For information

There is a new ten part canal TV series starting Thursday 5th January 2006 called Locks and Quays. It is on ITV Granada at 7.30pm.

Fred Talbot explores the regions canals and waterways, and meets the people along the way, as well as exploring the history and regeneration of the North West waterways.

Sheesh !.

This is Granada's alternative to Waterworld.

Both on at the same time. (My kitchen is in the central area, my living room is in the north west. It's not that I have a big house, it's just the aeriels pointing in opposite directions.)

The usual Granada thursday night regional program is rubbish so it is not usually a contest.

Thanks for that, will watch out for it, sounds a damned sight more interesting than EastEnders.

Anything is more interesting than Eastenders. (and if anyone believes that EE portrays life in London - believe me - it is nothing like it.

Edited by dor

Life in the North West is exactly like Coronation Street.

Some of you may not remember but Fred Talbot has a bit of history with the canals (apart from leaping around on his polystyrene British Isles) in Albert dock. A few years ago I remember he did a sort of Christmas time cruise and he often finds an excuse for doing outside broadcasts alongside a narrowboat. Surprising it has been kept quiet though, the filming of such programs usually gets spotted.

Slightly off topic but did anyone watch Rick Stein last night on his French odyessy? I thought it was one of the best one hour shows i've seen for ages. I didn't realize they took barges that big under or through such small bridges.

For those that missed it, it was about French cooking and they were living aboard a barge on the canal-du-midi. which look lovely.

Fantastic programme, bound to be repeated and well worth looking out for.

Life in the North West is exactly like Coronation Street.

Thanks John you made my eyes water :):):wacko:

Locks and Quays

New series. Fred Talbot travels around the region by boat, making his way along the Leeds-Liverpool canal, before visiting the Inland Waterways Festival. He also meets the horses still earning their keep in North Wales

Edited by redstarafloat

Locks and Quays

New series. Fred Talbot travels around the region by boat, making his way along the Leeds-Liverpool canal, before visiting the Inland Waterways Festival. He also meets the horses still earning their keep in North Wales

sounds fabulous! It sounds as though there are some really good boating programs on at the moment. People keep coming into the office telling me they have been watching something or the other and have started to tune in to narrowboat programs etc. It actually makes me wish I had a TV... I am intrigued! Does anyone know if there will be any picture books produced from them?

i am absolutely made up with the portrayal of my locality in this programme indeed the programme as a whole was excellent.

well done granada and thanks.

the charity boat pride of sefton stopped and gave me and the children a ride and that is the day the kids said dad we want a boat on the canal.

the skipper on the boat in the programme sorted out my mooring ropes i.e he made the loops in the ends when the boat was launched and he is truly a gent on the cut around here.

he passed on his collection of old waterway mags to me for reading when i told him i was getting a boat,the parties of disabled people ,pensioners groups ect that he takes out always seem to be having a great time.

the place shown when the heron was taking of from the bank was our swimming baths when we were kids.

i am so glad at the way the area was shown :):wacko::)

i hope it now encourages some boats to make the journey to eldonian village.

i am absolutely made up with the portrayal of my locality in this programme indeed the programme as a whole was excellent.

well done granada and thanks.

the charity boat pride of sefton stopped and gave me and the children a ride and that is the day the kids said dad we want a boat on the canal.

the skipper on the boat in the programme sorted out my mooring ropes i.e he made the loops in the ends when the boat was launched and he is truly a gent on the cut around here.

he passed on his collection of old waterway mags to me for reading when i told him i was getting a boat,the parties of disabled people ,pensioners groups ect that he takes out always seem to be having a great time.

the place shown when the heron was taking of from the bank was our swimming baths when we were kids.

i am so glad at the way the area was shown :):):wacko:

i hope it now encourages some boats to make the journey to eldonian village.

Dont forget to watch it next week gaggle! My eyes were scanning for any familiar faces

sounds fabulous! It sounds as though there are some really good boating programs on at the moment. People keep coming into the office telling me they have been watching something or the other and have started to tune in to narrowboat programs etc. It actually makes me wish I had a TV... I am intrigued! Does anyone know if there will be any picture books produced from them?

i have not looked here but it said at the end of prog for more info www.itv.com/granada

Fred Talbot discovers the immense history and regeneration projects on the region’s waterways as he takes a journey along the Leeds Liverpool canal. We meet the people that bring the canal systems alive. Whether it’s those who police the waterway systems, give up everything to live their dream on a barge, those who enjoy the relaxation on the canals for a holiday each year, or the people who like to discover the varied and interesting wildlife living by the waters edge…….we experience the passion these people have for ‘their’ canals.

Locks and Quays

Episode 1:

Fred Talbot takes us on the fascinating journey of the canals and waterways of the North West. This week he starts his journey in Liverpool at the beginning of the Leeds Liverpool Canal. We also visit the annual Inland Waterways Festival and meet the horses still working on the canals in North Wales.

Episode 2:

Fred Talbot continues his journey of the canals and waterways of the North West. He travels along the Leeds Liverpool canal and through Parbold, discovery the fascinating history of the regions canal system. We take a trip down memory lane with the residents of Eccles Home, and join a boat restoration team over in Runcorn.

Episode 3:

Fred Talbot continues exploring the waterways of the North West. His journey takes him through the wonder of the waterworld – the Wigan Flight of Locks. We also meet a man still working a coal boat on the canals and football fans travel to the game in style.

Episode 4:

Fred Talbot continues his journey along the canals of the North West. A canal rescue team help out the locals stranded on the waterways, we meet an artist who has a passion for painting the canals and there’s a special visit to Salford Quays for a cruise liner.

Episode 5:

Fred Talbot meets the people keeping the canals clean. The bat society save an injured bat and release it back into the wild on the leeds Liverpool canal, and meet the man who’s built a lighthouse on the Bridgewater canal.

Episode 6:

Fred Talbot travels north in his exploration of the region’s waterways. He travels the dangerous route, by canal boat, along the river ribble, heading towards the Lancaster Canal, and we celebrate the festival of light over in Runcorn.

Bit of a bugger for those of us not in the Granda region then - might have to watch Eastenders. Amazing how Jonny manages to get out of hospital after having had a swollen brain. He looks so well. Must have great doctors in East London.

I don't suppose anyone recorded it onto DVD - SVCD which might be small enough to email?

:)

Bit of a bugger for those of us not in the Granda region then - might have to watch Eastenders. Amazing how Jonny manages to get out of hospital after having had a swollen brain. He looks so well. Must have great doctors in East London.

I don't suppose anyone recorded it onto DVD - SVCD which might be small enough to email?

:)

is that the eastenders episiode, Jonnys brain or the boat program? of course, I can't help with any of them, but just wondered..... :wacko: