RATS

romarni123

Featured Posts

I still shake my shoes before putting them on after a traumatic experience finding a large cockroach in a shoe I was putting on. And, more recently, would-be-prey the cat has brought in has been found hiding in footwear. Not sure that is better or worse than discovering pate de souris under the corner of a rug days after she has caught and killed and got bored with a mouse. No rats so far, phew!

The really important thing to do is make sure the boat's clean, and any food is in a container that is vermin proof. Careful with overfilling the bins in your mooring's carpark too. They're tenacious little buggers, I've seen them nibble through chicken wire in the past.

It's the same with thieves; they're less likely bother breaking into your house if it looks like there's nothing worth taking.

Having lived in countries with some of the most dangerous snakes I was always taught pull back all bed sheeting before going to bed to check for snakes and spiders.

I used to do that but my wife complained that it woke her up. :wacko:

I still shake my shoes before putting them on after a traumatic experience finding a large cockroach in a shoe I was putting on. And, more recently, would-be-prey the cat has brought in has been found hiding in footwear. Not sure that is better or worse than discovering pate de souris under the corner of a rug days after she has caught and killed and got bored with a mouse. No rats so far, phew!

I found a large daddy long-legs in my sandal once while on a camping holiday. I shall never forget the sensation of it squirming around between my bare toes and have never put on a pair of shoes since without shaking them out first <shudder>

We had one run up the gunwale, chew through our nearly new cratch cover, then help itself to our veg stock on the well deck.

They are very agile and can squeeze through the tightest of gaps.

I remember when our boat was being blacked in a marina boathouse and we stayed on the boat during the night. Upon turning the boathouse lights on, I saw a rat that was more like a cat in size, squeeze through the cavity of a threshold that had no cover on. :help:

My Great Uncle emigrated to Australia in the 1920's and on arrival had to stay in a hostel until such time as he found a job and somewhere to live. He had been warned on the ship going to Australia that theft was very high at these hostels and to make sure nothing was left lying around. On his first night he placed the legs of his bed into his boots to ensure they were not stolen, when he got up in the morning the boots were still there but someone had stolen his laces.

Thought you were going to say that the boots were still there, but the bed was gone! :P

I was sleeping under the stars in the sahara years ago and rolled over onto a scorpian, bugger got me twice and boy did it sting. I now always check the bed before getting in, although I doubt i'll find anything quite so exotic in brentford....

I was sleeping under the stars in the sahara years ago and rolled over onto a scorpian, bugger got me twice and boy did it sting. I now always check the bed before getting in, although I doubt i'll find anything quite so exotic in brentford....

Not in Brentford, perhaps, but Kent is another matter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euscorpius_flavicaudis

:)

Is this rat business a real risk? Since this post started I've been closing the pidgeon boxes at night when I go to bed. Last night I woke up in a pool of sweat with the temperature inside the boat at 25.6 degrees with an outside temp of -3.7!!!

There's no need to be that nervous of rats that you run a temperature dear boy!

(coat)

Is this rat business a real risk? Since this post started I've been closing the pidgeon boxes at night when I go to bed. Last night I woke up in a pool of sweat with the temperature inside the boat at 25.6 degrees with an outside temp of -3.7!!!

I don't think you should worry about it - if they want to get in they will find a way, so resistance is futile!

House_Mouse_Squeeze_Through_Hole.jpg

Snakes, scorpions and rats are essentialy timid, baboon spiders are not, they chase you, actually so do blue belly snakes, and bamsloons (big black snakes) I've not met a scorpion that will chase you, but there is a big black type that won't run away, there's only one answer, cats, lots of them, though then you have to worry about them, never trusted them, always look sneaky, just waiting to eat your face if you ask me.

Snakes, scorpions and rats are essentialy timid, baboon spiders are not, they chase you, actually so do blue belly snakes, and bamsloons (big black snakes) I've not met a scorpion that will chase you, but there is a big black type that won't run away, there's only one answer, cats, lots of them, though then you have to worry about them, never trusted them, always look sneaky, just waiting to eat your face if you ask me.

Are there many on the UK waterways?

Baboon spiders, blue belly snakes and bamsloons, that is. Not cats.

Agree with you about the cats, though. Never trusted them. :unsure: