Trent Falls

Dr Bradley

Featured Posts

I wouldnt tempt fate sweety.

Use it in the wrong place at the wrong time and you will get caught. Bragging about it here wont help your cause. Most people you will find if you ask enough of them have taken the course. It isnt worth a fine or jail sentence for the sake of £80 and an easy days course.

ABP have written their byelaws for the safety of all users of their waters, which include leisure and large commercial vessels. It is as important that the commercial shipping knows where you are as it is that you know where they are. If they didnt think VHF was necessary it wouldnt be in their byelaws. Stray much further below Trent Falls without informing ABP of your intentions and you can expect a visit from their inspection boat, telephone them and they will want to know why you didnt communicate by VHF. There are hefty fines for breaching ABP byelaws as well by the way.

You are now repeating what we all know, yet again and frankly you are getting very boring now.

If VHF is correctly used there is no reason why an ABP inspection boat should trouble a leisure boat, nor do I know of any case when one has. On the other hand I do know of a case when an inspection boat tried to stop a narrowboat going past Goole because they didn't have VHF, but they failed. There was no prosecution to follow.

If the ABP are reading this and decide to get their act together as a result, so be it, but I suspect they are too busy dealing with proper boats and ships to bother too much about tin cans and yoghurt pots floating by.

And a prison sentence is the MAX penalty. I guess you'd have to be caught several times jamming the channels deliberately to earn that. More likely, they'd issue a verbal warning.

I do hope your boat doesn't just go round in circles like you do on here..... dear.

Tone

You want the waves stern on now. Ok.

So you want your engine swamped, the risk of being swept over board and a wet interior. Ok we can go by that route if you wish.

How high is your freeboard Tone, dearest?

Oh for gawds sake!! She can't even read!!!!

The word was S T E M, not S T E R N. Try your other glasses!

Tone

As you are now struggling to be able to make any kind of original, reasonable, valid and intelligent contribution to this thread, that is anything more than common knowledge, Phylis, I'll be the gentleman that I am and give you the last word. I realise that you have to have it. :rolleyes:

It has been fun though......

Tone

Oh for gawds sake!! She can't even read!!!!

The word was S T E M, not S T E R N. Try your other glasses!

Tone

Ok Tone sweetie. Can you explain how you will be taking 5ft waves STEM on without them breaking over the bow, given that the bow of the boat is almost certainly not 5ft high off the waterline and being a displacement hull will be ploughing through the waves not riding over them?

As you are now struggling to be able to make any kind of original, reasonable, valid and intelligent contribution to this thread, that is anything more than common knowledge, Phylis, I'll be the gentleman that I am and give you the last word. I realise that you have to have it. :rolleyes:

It has been fun though......

Tone

Light weight

5,000 men surveyed were asked why they liked receiving oral sex:

1 % liked the warmth

2 % liked the sensation

3 % liked the eroticism

94 % just liked the peace and quiet

Nice one!

But you'd have to be rigged like one of Nelson's cannons to shut that one up!

lu.gif

Tone

I am quite sure that they were exactly as Tony has described them, both in terms of their activities, licencing status, and national origin.

The fact is that what they were doing, and whether they were licenced to do it or not are relevant points.

Where they were born in not.

thats a bit low and below the belt, i see no need for your remark really, you seem to use this card often, why do you have to make an issue of someones facts, he only stated what he saw. Very low of you.

• Greenie 1

Sorry.... wot was the thread about originally??

Oh yes. Trent Falls aka Trent End aka Trent Mouth. As I wuz saying, I don't think it is that difficult for narrowboats as long as you have at least two aboard, VHF (legally if you wish) and pick you tides and weather carefully, and are happy to sit on a mud bank at low tide should you go aground.

If you meet a seven bladed yoghurt pot going round and round in circles, give Phylis a wave. a BIG 5ft one.

Tone

• Greenie 1

thats a bit low and below the belt, i see no need for your remark really, you seem to use this card often, why do you have to make an issue of someones facts, he only stated what he saw. Very low of you.

Well, if I "seem to use this card often", perhaps you wouldn't mind pointing out a few recent examples.

The comment about them being Eastern European was completely unnecessary.

It may have been unnecessary but it was factually correct, there are a whole host of details that are not strictly necessary in any description. In my rant number two I could have described the man in the suit who tried to sell me a twenty pound note for £25 as "someone standing next to me", does the more detailed description make me suitist?

Had canaldrifter said that "there were some blokes fishing, they weren't returning the catch so they must be east european" that would be xenophobic, as they could equally well be a hard up local who's just been made redundant. Equally if CD had said, "He told me he came from Poland so I guess he'll be eating the catch" that would be xenophobic, as there are plenty of poles who enjoy coarse fishing and return the fish. His statement was one of fact, they identified themselves as east European and they said they were going to eat the catch. The only assumption CD made was that they didn't have a licence, which while he didn't verify this is a safe bet as such licences are highly unusual

It may have been unnecessary but it was factually correct, there are a whole host of details that are not strictly necessary in any description. In my rant number two I could have described the man in the suit who tried to sell me a twenty pound note for £25 as "someone standing next to me", does the more detailed description make me suitist?

OK, to labour the point a little.

What would the reaction have been if he had (accurately) described the unlicenced fishermen as "black" or "asian"

What would the reaction have been if he had (accurately) described the unlicenced fishermen as "black" or "asian"

In my case, different between them. I have Asian friends who describe themselves as Asian, even if they were born here, whereas, why I know people to whom the description "black" could be applied, they tend to call themselves Somali, Kenyan etc etc. The only instance I know where "black" is used is "black american" and I don't know any of them. I have to admit though, that because a "black american" isn't readily distinguishable from a kenyan, a somali or a black brit, terminology gets difficult.

The terms themselves are not offensive or xenophobic, it is when their use is derogatory. If CD had said, "they were catching the fish to eat, as one might expect given they were east European..." that would have been a different matter

I have been away on holiday for two weeks and come back to a floor full of empty popcorn boxes and no coats on the pegs....

Did I miss something?

M&M

Some stuff happened, but I'm not sure that it will be missed

oh shuttup, your just trying to make something of nothing, very childish, and to be honest, your starting to sound pathetic

• Greenie 2