Trent Falls

Dr Bradley

Featured Posts

I fetched a 38' Harborough marine with a 2 pot listere up the Humber and Trent falls to Keadby, no problems at all, infact one of the best moves I've done. Having said that. I did my homework, local knowledge etc and conditions where very good.

my boat - lister HA2 - 70ft

coming back from selby on a spring tide first week of September, came out of Selby (on lockies instructions) on full power and bow facing upsteam to get us clear of the lock, out into a flow of at least 8 knots, 3 hours after high water, a good lick maintained all the way to TF, round the falls, 1.5 hour going nowhere on full power against an ebbing tide then slowly making headway past the island, the Aegre came up behind us at Burton? Staithe, surfed the wave and came up to Keadby. Coaster on each wall, into the lock without so much as a skim on the entrance walls. hard astern as we got into the lock. happy days!! the following day was so easy!! just a puttle up to the Fossdyke

my boat - lister HA2 - 70ft

coming back from selby on a spring tide first week of September, came out of Selby (on lockies instructions) on full power and bow facing upsteam to get us clear of the lock, out into a flow of at least 8 knots, 3 hours after high water, a good lick maintained all the way to TF, round the falls, 1.5 hour going nowhere on full power against an ebbing tide then slowly making headway past the island, the Aegre came up behind us at Burton? Staithe, surfed the wave and came up to Keadby. Coaster on each wall, into the lock without so much as a skim on the entrance walls. hard astern as we got into the lock. happy days!! the following day was so easy!! just a puttle up to the Fossdyke

I reckon the percentage of modern narrowboats and (similar wider craft) which couldn't maintain full power for that long is fairly high because of inadequate cooling.

Tim

I reckon the percentage of modern narrowboats and (similar wider craft) which couldn't maintain full power for that long is fairly high because of inadequate cooling.

Tim

That's an interesting point. I can run full power indefinitely, but full power from an FR2 in a 60ft boat gets me 4.5mph, maybe 5mph, through the water. I'm not that bothered about Trent Falls, but I would like to do enough of the tidal Trent to get into Torksey and Keadby. Do I have enough oomph, or would venturing below Cromwell Lock be foolish?

MP.

That's an interesting point. I can run full power indefinitely, but full power from an FR2 in a 60ft boat gets me 4.5mph, maybe 5mph, through the water. I'm not that bothered about Trent Falls, but I would like to do enough of the tidal Trent to get into Torksey and Keadby. Do I have enough oomph, or would venturing below Cromwell Lock be foolish?

MP.

Yes you have enough oomph. You would expect to travel with the tide, the only time you'd need maximum oomph is when you have to turn into the tide to become stationery before entering the lock. Torkesy has a lock cut so you don't need any oomph at all. Unless the river is in flood 5mph is more than enough for the entry to Stockwith and is OK for Keadby (I hate Keadby!)

The accepted way into Keadby is to pass the point and turn, then approach upstream, but in old naval fashion I tried turning the boat broadside on, then coming down with the current passing the moored commercial vessel and gently edging under her bow that was almost overhanging the lock. Then giving it a blast of throttle to enter the lock.

It almost worked. I hadn't allowed for the current reversal eddy below the ship's bow. We gently nudged the wing wall on the way in, but that wasn't a problem.

In fact, this is an acceptable alternative way of entering Selby, to nudge the bow against the upper wing wall until the boat lines up, then blast her in.

Of course this is something that can be done with proper steel boats, but not with yoghurt pots like Phylis's.

Tone

Tim

That is a very good point, Tim. My boat has an oversized engine, a 2.56 BMC that has an integral cooling system that is in turn cooled through a heat exchanger by a secondary keel-cooling system.

The boat does run very cool, but it can maintain 2,200 plus revs as Neil Arlidge can verify when together, him on tiller skimming the perches and me on throttle, we broke the record for the Ribble estuary run by 20 minutes, just for the craic.

Tone

Before I did Keadby all the stuff I had read about it made me think that entering it was going to be such a traumatic event it should be avoided like the plague! Yes, you have to turn in the river and approach it upstream at an angle to avoid clattering the entrance, but it should not put anybody off a trip down the Trent.

MP.

I would recommend going into West Stockwith too. Apart from the fact that the Chesterfield canal is absolutely beautiful, if shallow, you can moor outside the lock until slack water before entering. Then you have a doddle of a trip down to Keadby where the current will be about 3-4mph when you arrive, unless there are flooding conditions.

Don't listen to the pessimists. Just do it.

Tone

Just been talking to a couple of guys who have done Trent End without being qualified to use VHF. As long as you've got it and don't abuse the system, i.e. playing rap music down the channel, leaving the key pressed down thus blocking it, or using foul or inappropriate language, nobody is going to arrest you. A cheap hand-held will suffice, so my OPs on the subject are spot on, despite what Phylis would suggest.

Okay, you can be pedantic and do the course, but.....

Mind you, if you do abuse the system, the maximum fine is £5,000 or 6 months in jail!

I think the Goole locky was right. You should have it, but paying £80-90 for the course is extortion.

However at nearly 70 with some 50 years tidal boating experience, I suppose I should bow to her better judgement at 26.

Tone

The accepted way into Keadby is to pass the point and turn, then approach upstream, but in old naval fashion I tried turning the boat broadside on, then coming down with the current passing the moored commercial vessel and gently edging under her bow that was almost overhanging the lock. Then giving it a blast of throttle to enter the lock.

It almost worked. I hadn't allowed for the current reversal eddy below the ship's bow. We gently nudged the wing wall on the way in, but that wasn't a problem.

In fact, this is an acceptable alternative way of entering Selby, to nudge the bow against the upper wing wall until the boat lines up, then blast her in.

Of course this is something that can be done with proper steel boats, but not with yoghurt pots like Phylis's.

Tone

There you go again. The accepted way into Keadby is to turn into the flow as at any other lock off a tidal waterway. Depending which way you are travelling will depend which way you end up facing be it up or downstream.

It is of course preferable to not nudge the wall at all. Something we always seem to manage at both Keadby and Selby. Maybe yoghurt pot owners have a better sense of what their boats are going to do ;)

I would recommend going into West Stockwith too. Apart from the fact that the Chesterfield canal is absolutely beautiful, if shallow, you can moor outside the lock until slack water before entering. Then you have a doddle of a trip down to Keadby where the current will be about 3-4mph when you arrive, unless there are flooding conditions.

Don't listen to the pessimists. Just do it.

Tone

For once i will agree with you. West Stockwith is indeed well worth the visit but i wouldnt recommend mooring outside the lock anymore. The wall is very silted up right up to the lock entance now and any passing boats will leave you sat on the bottom tide state dependant. If you want somewhere to wait out a tide, which shouldnt really be necessary assuming you are traveling with it, Gainsborough is a much better option with a proper floating pontoon (no need to set ropes for the tide) and all the facilities associated with a town of this size.

West Stockwith in itself is worth an over night stay, or longer is passing through onto the Chesterfield Canal. There are (or were) a couple of lovely pubs and a great farm stall selling fresh fruit and veg. There is no shop in West Stockwith but a short walk up the towpath leads you to the next village which has a shop and other provisions.

• Greenie 1

There are (or were) a couple of lovely pubs and a great farm stall selling fresh fruit and veg. There is no shop in West Stockwith but a short walk up the towpath leads you to the next village which has a shop and other provisions.

Were? Has one closed?

Just been talking to a couple of guys who have done Trent End without being qualified to use VHF. As long as you've got it and don't abuse the system, i.e. playing rap music down the channel, leaving the key pressed down thus blocking it, or using foul or inappropriate language, nobody is going to arrest you. A cheap hand-held will suffice, so my OPs on the subject are spot on, despite what Phylis would suggest.

Okay, you can be pedantic and do the course, but.....

Mind you, if you do abuse the system, the maximum fine is £5,000 or 6 months in jail!

I think the Goole locky was right. You should have it, but paying £80-90 for the course is extortion.

However at nearly 70 with some 50 years tidal boating experience, I suppose I should bow to her better judgement at 26.

Tone

Tone, you insist on giving people false information. Anyone can go out and buy a VHF set yes. To use that set other than in an emergency you need to have someone aboard who is licenced. The course is £80 for a days course. It isnt worth getting caught and having to pay a £5k fine. If you are going to the effort of buying the set you really need to buy the licence to use it.

For someone who claims to have 50 years of "tidal pedigree" you really do give out some bull sh*t information that could end up with someone serving a six month jail term or a £5k fine. If you are happy to take that risk then fine but please dont advise others to do so.

It isnt just the Goole lockie who is right. It is part of the ABP byelaws that all craft navigating on their waters which include the Trent below Gainsborough and also the Ouse to just past Goole, have to be fitted with VHF and have a licenced person aboard. It is also worth noting that they dont allow single handing on their waters either. Many people get away with it of course but in the case of an accident who knows what APB would have to say about it, i suspect the fines would be pretty high.

Narrowboaters should bear in mind that travelling tidal rivers that contain commercial traffic is a very different ball game to ditch crawling. There are different rules and regulations to follow and anyone traveling these waters should have some knowledge of them and should also know which VHF channel to be listening to from which point and what channel the bridges and locks operate on, which incidently isnt the same as the ABP working channels.

Were? Has one closed?

On the one road through the village. I say were as we have not been for a good six months or so, hence cant say if there still are two pubs. The White Hart is our favourite of the two.

• Greenie 1

Any inproper use of the VHF is abusing it including using VHF with out a suitably qualified person aboard. Chatting to your friends also counts as abusing it by the way. VHF is not a free telephone service.

I think Phylis is talking about Misterton.

The best pub at West Stockwith is definitely the White Hart by the Idle confluence. They brew their own 'Idle' Ales, the food is excellent and not overpriced, and the locals are a great craic. The Waterfront Inn, overlooking the basin, was a little disappointing, but it's just been taken over (again?).

Mooring outside West Stockwith is fine. In fact Dave, the relief locky insisted upon it for narrowboats until the spring flood tide turned. Of course entry is much easier for smaller cruisers.

Unfortunately, BW have just made Dave redundant because after 15 years loyal service with out a day off sick, he asked for sick leave. There is now no relief locky at West Stockwith if Sue is unavailable, so waiting outside may become essential.

Tone

For someone who claims to have 50 years of "tidal pedigree" you really do give out some bull sh*t information that could end up with someone serving a six month jail term or a £5k fine. If you are happy to take that risk then fine but please dont advise others to do so.

And you exaggerate everything into some kind of rigid boating chastity belt. That is the MAX penalty. Obviously, from the Goole locky's perspective, the ABP aren't that bothered about certification when it comes to leisure boats, as long as they have and are able to use VHF. That is the experience of those I spoke to last night. They don't ask you to wave a certificate at them as you pass Ocean lock.

I bet you were a prefect at school. (Do they still have prefects?)

Tone

And you exaggerate everything into some kind of rigid boating chastity belt. That is the MAX penalty. Obviously, from the Goole locky's perspective, the ABP aren't that bothered about certification when it comes to leisure boats, as long as they have and are able to use VHF. That is the experience of those I spoke to last night. They don't ask you to wave a certificate at them as you pass Ocean lock.

I bet you were a prefect at school. (Do they still have prefects?)

Tone

tut, she was'nt a prefect, she was a fiesta :D