Nene Guide Book

Curly

Featured Posts

We used :-

http://www.imray.com...ock_code=IB0108

and found it OK.

David

don't know why it's saying out of print!

We bought the Imray guide to the Nene last year for our cruise to Peterborough and found it to be virtually useless.The information it contained was very much out date.

We bought the Imray guide to the Nene last year for our cruise to Peterborough and found it to be virtually useless.The information it contained was very much out date.

Well the navigational info seemed to be correct, which is why I bought it.

I long ago gave up expecting any of the guides to be up to date with their info about shops, pubs etc. they all change too quickly.

The Imray guide only gets it right about 1 time in 3 in showing where the moorings are. MInd you, the Nene one is better than the Fens one which omits about 1 in 3 of the bridges at random (and on the Fens the bridges are often the only way of knowing where you are!)

I'm looking for a guide book for the River Nene; any recommendations?

Iam at present putting together a set of Navigation Notes for the Nene, which will

included photos of all the sites where you are allowed to moor.

To give a example of information that will be included, are the notes on Northampton Riverside

Located ¼ mile south of the town centre, 50 yards from local supermarket,

¾ miles from the railway station (Direct trains to London and Birmingham). The mooring is hard faced with

mooring posts. Northampton is best known for shoes which are still made in the town and

for its bus station which was voted 'Britains 2nd Worst eyesore'. There are a number of Pubs

and restaurants within ½ mile of the moorings.

You can get a good cheap meal in the supermarket cafe. Be warned this can be a noisy place

at night. For a quiet night move onto the next mooring.

These notes when finshed will be available as a download in PDF Format.

Subject to my workload, these notes should be finshed in time for Easter.

Firesprite

Middle Levels

For those that like the Nicholsons format of sections of O^S maps, they stopped doing the Broads and Fens version way back in 1991, 5th Edition.

I still prefer this format to the others mentioned, although it is rather out of date.

It covers the River Nene, Great Ouse, Middle Level and The Broads.

SH copies available through Abe books search engine thingy

Abe Books Linky

Iam at present putting together a set of Navigation Notes for the Nene, which will

included photos of all the sites where you are allowed to moor.

To give a example of information that will be included, are the notes on Northampton Riverside

Located ¼ mile south of the town centre, 50 yards from local supermarket,

¾ miles from the railway station (Direct trains to London and Birmingham). The mooring is hard faced with

mooring posts. Northampton is best known for shoes which are still made in the town and

for its bus station which was voted 'Britains 2nd Worst eyesore'. There are a number of Pubs

and restaurants within ½ mile of the moorings.

You can get a good cheap meal in the supermarket cafe. Be warned this can be a noisy place

at night. For a quiet night move onto the next mooring.

These notes when finshed will be available as a download in PDF Format.

Subject to my workload, these notes should be finshed in time for Easter.

Firesprite

Middle Levels

This looks as though it will be useful as we are heading down the Nene next year. We will be coming in from the salty side though but some of it will be useful to us. Thanks in advance

The Imray guide only gets it right about 1 time in 3 in showing where the moorings are. MInd you, the Nene one is better than the Fens one which omits about 1 in 3 of the bridges at random (and on the Fens the bridges are often the only way of knowing where you are!)

We've found that the Imray guides (Nene, Middle Level and Ouze) need copious amounts of annotation to make them accurate. Ours are now something like accurate, having been up and down the Nene a few times.

It's worth checking online for important things like phone numbers (e.g. Tina at Stanground, the EA's River Inspectors) that you need, as the book's often out of date.

You can tell our state of mind at the time of annotating by the nature of the comments. A simple cross through a mooring bollard sign? No moorings here, oh well, onto the next one. A scribbled, heavy cross, "B*******!" and an unhappy face? A rainy, cold, long day, with lack of mooring preventing us from getting our longed-for CHIPS.

For those that like the Nicholsons format of sections of O^S maps, they stopped doing the Broads and Fens version way back in 1991, 5th Edition.

I still prefer this format to the others mentioned, although it is rather out of date.

It covers the River Nene, Great Ouse, Middle Level and The Broads.

SH copies available through Abe books search engine thingy

Abe Books Linky

Thanks for that. I've bought a copy for £0.64. :) Will be interesting to look at, and probably as accurate as the Imray Guides! With a little annotation, I'm sure we can bring it up do date. I much prefer boating using the extracts of OS maps which Nicholsons provide.

Basic freebies they may be, but they're very good and useful, as are the equivalent Gt. Ouse ones.

MP.

Cant say i have ever used any of them apart from the Black Sluice and as there is not much of that yet cant comment but i do have the ones for all the EA waterway apart from the Thames,now youve said that i will have a closer look at the weekend.