Dog Walkers

mayalld

Featured Posts

Fair play that lady!!!

I too am a dog owner and fully agree that people should pick up their dogs crap.

The only exception I have to that is when in the wilds (truly in the wilds, not on a towpath or near where people may venture). In this case the poop will have decomposed much quicker than in a bag at the landfill.

It does get my goat though when people leave crap on paths. A woman near us walks two great danes down the towpath and just lets them crap everywhere. Threatened to throw the dogs in the cut but honestly think we'd be better off chucking her in.

On a hire boat one year and moored up for the night.

Well decided to pump the bilges and never noticed A, th outlet was higher than the towpat and B, a dog was about to do a poop next to the boat.

The dog never got the chance to poop because it was hit with the contents of the bilges lol

• 4 weeks later...

As a fellow dog walker, has anybody else noticed that every coat,jacket and pair of overhalls you have thier is always poop bags in the pockets

Yup it's called 'going equipped' and goes with the territory....

just now need to find and store the little bits of thread that allows me to tie Dennis' output to the bushes to save burying them....currently in vogue I understand...

we're another couple who's pockets all contain poo bags...which occassionally get washed in the pockets!

What I have noticed today though, is how many dog owners must believe that dog poo disappears with the snow! We have a dog walk along the side of the marina...nice big safe area for ball play too there, and the walk is generally poo free, with a bin provided on return, but as the snow has rapidly disappeared today, it has become horribly clear how many must have just covered it with snow and not picked it up....gggrrrrrr...and it's so easy to pick up in the snow. The whole path is now dotted in the stuff. :angry:

As a fellow dog walker, has anybody else noticed that every coat,jacket and pair of overhalls you have thier is always poop bags in the pockets

Yes same here; all my pockets are full of them. I always get the long handled variety as they hang on tree branches much better than the free ones. Seriously, why the hell do people do that?

Yes same here; all my pockets are full of them. I always get the long handled variety as they hang on tree branches much better than the free ones. Seriously, why the hell do people do that?

It's not just a phenomenon associated with canals and towpaths either – some of my fellow dog walkers where I live have taken to this little habit too…I think they hope the 'Dog Pooh' fairy will mysteriously appear and waft it away with her magic wand.... :angry:

It's not just a phenomenon associated with canals and towpaths either – some of my fellow dog walkers where I live have taken to this little habit too…I think they hope the 'Dog Pooh' fairy will mysteriously appear and waft it away with her magic wand.... :angry:

To me it beggars belief. If it was laziness then surely they wouldn't be arsed picking it up initially? Unless of course they pick it up in view of others then hang it on the nearest tree when nobody is about? We have even seen the bags hung on the tree within a few yards of the dog poo bin by us.

For the Christmas tree that has everything, So festive!

Snapshot2010-12-2913-40-27.jpg

This ornament looks like real dog poop. All decorated up for the Holiday season. Give one to your dog loving friends, They'll love it! Dog Poop ornament measures about 5" in heighth, by 5" in width, and is decorated with frosted glitter sprinkles, for that frozen snow look!

Wrinky Dinks Pet lovers gift shop

About time the council took action , long may it continue and thrive.

It would seem that most people,even all responsable dog owners are in agreement that people who dont clean up after the dogs should be penalised so why dont the councils shape up and take action big time , a huge amount of income could be brought in until such time as dog owners get the message.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/echo-districts/st-helens-echo/st-helens-news/2010/12/17/liverpool-council-fined-more-people-for-dog-fouling-than-any-other-in-the-country-100252-27840609/

About time the council took action , long may it continue and thrive.

It would seem that most people,even all responsable dog owners are in agreement that people who dont clean up after the dogs should be penalised so why dont the councils shape up and take action big time , a huge amount of income could be brought in until such time as dog owners get the message.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/echo-districts/st-helens-echo/st-helens-news/2010/12/17/liverpool-council-fined-more-people-for-dog-fouling-than-any-other-in-the-country-100252-27840609/

I take your point, and agree, but I imagine like most things that the cost and lack of interest in policing such things is the problem. I would like to see the little swine who spray paint on people's property, and throw rubbish around our streets prosecuted too, not to mention the little scrotes who deliberately destroy public and private property. I don't believe that our establishment has got the balls or the will to deal with such scum; they are too busy arresting people for minuscule evasion of taxes, staying on car parks for five minutes too long, overfilling dust bins and suchlike.

This was a recent 'Keep Britain Tidy ' campaign ...

Snapshot2010-12-2917-11-56.jpg

There’s no such thing as the Dog Poo Fairy Full Article

Keep Britain Tidy’s research shows that dog fouling is a major concern to members of the public. There also appears to be a bigger problem that has arisen in that increasing amounts of bagged dog faeces are being left behind as people fail to dispose of their bags after cleaning up after their pets. Research has also found that 70% of local authorities have some sort of problem within their area. To tackle this problem, Keep Britain Tidy has launched a national dog fouling campaign to encourage irresponsible dog owners to clean up after their pets. The campaign features eye-catching creative of a ‘dog poo fairy’ and the message ‘There’s no such thing as the Dog Poo Fairy’, and is displayed on bus stops, billboards and phone boxes across England. The media focus is based around a case study on a toddler, Aimee, who hit news headlines after falling in dog poo and losing partial sight in her eye after suffering with toxocariasis. This media angle contains a strong worming aspect and highlights how important it is for dog owners to worm their dog so that the risk of toxocariasis is diminished. Importantly, the campaign has gained the support of more than 85 local authorities in England who will be promoting dog waste bags, sponsored by Dicky Bags, as a positive solution. As a reward to all responsible dog owners, the Dog Poo Fairy can help to turn well-cared-for pooches into the superstar they deserve to be!

To find out more about the campaign or any other Keep Britain Tidy campaigns, please email the Marketing Team or call 01942 612621

OH shouted to me today "No poo bags left in the the house put on your shopping list" The reply was "Try yer coat pocket" The answer "Oh yea" and suddenly theres about 30 bags in the drawer again!

As for poo, bags and towpath we walk along a lonely stretch that is marked out with fishing pegs so we scoop tie the bag and put the bag next to the peg noting the number to pick up and bin on the way back. One day another dog walker picked up one of our duly left for the return collection and lobbed it into the canal. When asked why he said bloody people cant be bothered to take it with them. Bit red faced when told we were actually going to pick it up on the way back.........Never seen him again but thats fine cos we like our solitary walks along the canal - we do try to keep it a secret.

• 3 weeks later...

Result!

Dog fouling lands owner in court Published Date: 17 January 2011 Chorley Guardian

A Chorley man who failed to clean up after his dog has been fined £75 and ordered to pay £200 costs.

Ian Davies, 47, of Woodville Road, Heath Charnock, pleaded guilty by letter to allowing his dog to foul on a footpath after failing to pay a fixed penalty notice issued by Chorley Council. The court was told Davies was seen by two of Chorley Council's neighbourhood officers walking three dogs along the towpath of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal of Rawlinson Lane at Heath Charnock. None of the dogs were on leads and it was a brown terrier-type dog which was about 10 yards behind Davies that fouled. The officers approached Davies and told him what they'd seen and gave him a fixed penalty notice which he did not pay. In mitigation the owner said he hadn't seen the dog foul and when told by the officers he pulled out a bag. He said he did not dispute the dog had fouled but he did not accept that he had been unco-operative. He was fined £75 and ordered to pay £200 costs plus a £15 victim surcharge.

Coun Eric Bell who oversees the council's campaign against dog fouling said: "Dog faeces can transmit disease and is particularly dangerous for children so it is important people do clear up after their dogs. "It is also one of the issues that really annoys residents and our 'Don't be a dirty dog' campaign has been really successful in educating people about the need to clean up after their pets. "People must be aware of what their pets are doing at all times. Our message is clear - bag it then bin it." "Irresponsible dog owners who don't pick up after their dog will be prosecuted. "If you see someone who lets their dog foul and doesn't clear it up report it to us on 01257 515151 or www.chorley.gov.uk/dogfouling."

Easy to blame the weather - our dustbins were emptied each Monday throughout the last two months, including the Bank Holidays!

Lancashire Evening Post Published on Tue Jan 18

Full-to-brim bins cause a stink for dog walkers

3297747806.jpg

Dog lovers Joanne and Jackie Fulham with Debbie Gabbott and the overflowing bins in Haslam Park

Dog walkers at a Preston park have cried foul play over overflowing waste bins. People who bring their pets to Haslam Park claim the dog mess bins have not been emptied Christmas. The problem has got so bad that some pet owners are now dumping their waste on the ground, at the top of Bexhill Road, Ingol. Ordinary litter bins were also overflowing.It comes a few weeks after one man was hit with a £50 fixed penalty notice by a warden for allegedly letting his dog foul in the park, which he denied.

Debbie Gabbott, 43, who runs a grooming parlour regularly walks her five dogs on the park, said: “I go on the park every day and most people I know always pick up after their dogs. “But the bin where I put the waste has been overflowing since Christmas. Bags have just been thrown round it now because no-one has emptied it but people are getting in trouble for not picking up their dog’s mess. It looks terrible..”

Residents in Ingol and Tanterton had raised concerns about overflowing bins and dog mess being dumped in bags near the bridges on Bexhill Road at a PACT policing meeting last year. Ingol Coun Bill Shannon said: “It’s an issue. What we keep saying to people is you can place mess in any litter bin if you can’t find a special dedicated bin.”

A spokesman for British Waterways, which owns the land, said: “British Waterways contractors regularly empty the dog waste bins on a weekly basis on the Lancaster Canal. Due to the recent bad weather our contractors were unable to do this before the Christmas break. British Waterways apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.”

Preston Council voted for new dog control orders last year, making it easier to fine people who fail to pick up their dog’s mess.