Manchester

pig

Featured Posts

Hi

in a few days we'll be continuing our cruise with a chug along the Bridgewater Canal, into Manchester and out on the Rochdale. I've booked the assisted passage from Manchester to Failsworth,and the summit passage a few days later.

We've not done this before, so I'd be very grateful for suggestions for overnight moorings.

Thanks

Neil

We had no trouble when we moored overnight at Castlefields, the water point is around near where the trip boat is moored up against the viaduct, (took us ages to find it even with a map). the locks through Manchester are an absolute swine and you will need two fairly fit people to operate the locks because there aren't any run-offs so the water cascades over the top gate almost as fast as it leaves the lock through the paddles on the bottom gates. We also did it in the pouring rain which didn't enhance the experience. Enjoy hehehe. :-))

Edited by BGA

Castlefield is a great mooring. If it's the traditional early start from Picadilly, unless you like setting off at stupid-o'clock it is worth coming up the 9 the previous afternoon then turning RIGHT at the top to moor in Picadilly Village overnight; it's safe and secure, you can moor in the Telford basin but if your boat is too long for it (as ours is) there are a couple of secure offside moorings on your right just before it. It only takes a few minutes to get back to the junction to meet the guys from BW the next morning

Castlefield is a great mooring. If it's the traditional early start from Picadilly, unless you like setting off at stupid-o'clock it is worth coming up the 9 the previous afternoon then turning RIGHT at the top to moor in Picadilly Village overnight; it's safe and secure, you can moor in the Telford basin but if your boat is too long for it (as ours is) there are a couple of secure offside moorings on your right just before it. It only takes a few minutes to get back to the junction to meet the guys from BW the next morning

Thanks, both for that.We'll be aiming to overnight at one of the two places. Where would you suggest to stay over the night before? We dont mind an early start to get to Castlefields by early afternoon.

Thanks again,

Neil

You will not have trouble along the Bridgewater but I would suggest Lymm, the Old Number Three pub or at Dunham are the usual spots if you want to moor outside of the suburbs. Good Beer at the Swan with Two Nicks in Dunham and the Old Number Three. The only waterpoint before Manchester is at the Old Number Three but the water pressure is very poor.

Andy

You will not have trouble along the Bridgewater but I would suggest Lymm, the Old Number Three pub or at Dunham are the usual spots if you want to moor outside of the suburbs. Good Beer at the Swan with Two Nicks in Dunham and the Old Number Three. The only waterpoint before Manchester is at the Old Number Three but the water pressure is very poor.

Andy

Many thanks, Andy, just the info I wanted. I must admit I've been getting paranoid about central Manchester after some recent posts, but now I'm looking forward to it, especially after reading "Keeping Up"'s trip reports- going both ways on the HNC and Rochdale indeed!

Cheers

Neil

Many thanks, Andy, just the info I wanted. I must admit I've been getting paranoid about central Manchester after some recent posts, but now I'm looking forward to it, especially after reading "Keeping Up"'s trip reports- going both ways on the HNC and Rochdale indeed!

Cheers

Neil

Glad you enjoyed the trip reports, I hope you have fun on the Pennines! Don't forget we want to read all about it too.

Andy

There is a water point at Stretford Marina, just before and outside the marina. The water pressure there is pretty poor too I think. By the time you get there though you are only 45 minutes from Castlefield.

Thanks, both for that.We'll be aiming to overnight at one of the two places. Where would you suggest to stay over the night before? We dont mind an early start to get to Castlefields by early afternoon.

Thanks again,

Neil

If you've not already done so, try Moore village. There's a lovely spot where a canal side householder has planted hydrangerias. Peaceful, but with the occasional freight train passing in the distance. Also, there's a shop/post office just up from the mooring.

Good luck in Manchester, just don't wear a Liverpool FC scarf :-)

Mike

Check out the lymm web cam site for a view of lymm from Peter (Matthew) Corbett's house. Oh damn did I just give the game away and identify a famous persons house?

Manchester is a fab place to moor but those first locks are utter swines.

Don't forget to wave to Liam at sale :)

http://www.lymm.net/webcam/

Check out the lymm web cam site for a view of lymm from Peter (Matthew) Corbett's house. Oh damn did I just give the game away and identify a famous persons house?

You've had it now! :-)

I'll be having fun on the Weaver... (again!)

Just checked the Lymm webcam out and Sooty's house isn't in the picture? It's just the Cross in the middle of the village?

There are some suggestions regarding mooring around Manchester here:

Where should I moor in or around Manchester?

Ho need to get paranoid about boating in the area, as long as you don't do something stupid like go through the Ashton Canal locks in Clayton at 8.30 pm like a couple of lads did, who were then surprised to have attracted the attentions of the local yoofs. No such problems in the area during the daytime.

I'll be having fun on the Weaver... (again!)

Just checked the Lymm webcam out and Sooty's house isn't in the picture? It's just the Cross in the middle of the village?

I wondered where you were hiding! Been through Sale twice this last two weeks and no sign of you. Thought it may have been something to do with Mr Rooney's adverse publicity.

Mike

I wondered where you were hiding! Been through Sale twice this last two weeks and no sign of you. Thought it may have been something to do with Mr Rooney's adverse publicity.

Mike

I have been there for the past two weeks but as from 3.30PM today I won't be. No idea how you've missed the boat!

I have been there for the past two weeks but as from 3.30PM today I won't be. No idea how you've missed the boat!

Put it down to age, neglecting to visit Specsavers and finally, years of indulging in Guinness :-)

Oopps!!!!

Isn't that Sooty standing on the steps of his house,

What will Homer say ??? :smiley_offtopic:

You've had it too!