continuous cruising

boatfairy

Featured Posts

Help can us continuous cruisers claim any assistance with boat licence payments through benefit system - what do you have to do we have come to a dead end ? :banghead:

According to the DWP (Link) you may be able to get help through Housing Benefit for your mooring fees or river license fee where this has to be paid for the boat to be in the water, but not for other costs associated with houseboats. For more information about Housing Benefits and how to apply have a look at the DirectGov site (Link).

Edited by Paul Evans

According to the DWP (Link) you may be able to get help through Housing Benefit for your mooring fees or river license fee where this has to be paid for the boat to be in the water, but not for other costs associated with houseboats. For more information about Housing Benefits and how to apply have a look at the DirectGov site (Link).

Ah ha, Cheers from me also. looks like work is shutting up shop in 2 months so i may need this too

Hello Miss fairy and welcome to the Forum! Perhaps you could tell us a bit about yourself (except that you're boracic which you've told us already!) - about your boat, where on the waterways you are, and so on.

• Greenie 1

Hello Miss fairy and welcome to the Forum! Perhaps you could tell us a bit about yourself (except that you're boracic which you've told us already!) - about your boat, where on the waterways you are, and so on.

Excuse me, but why should they? this OP enquiry doesn't need for them to state where they are nor what their circumstances are and about wether they even own a boat! No offence intended but I do hope this isn't going to turn into another witch hunt about the veracity of cc'ers?

• Greenie 1

Excuse me, but why should they? this OP enquiry doesn't need for them to state where they are nor what their circumstances are and about wether they even own a boat! No offence intended but I do hope this isn't going to turn into another witch hunt about the veracity of cc'ers?

Looked like a pleasant "introduce yourself" to me.

Some people are too bloody sensitive by half!

Help can us continuous cruisers claim any assistance with boat licence payments through benefit system - what do you have to do we have come to a dead end ? :banghead:

As someone has posted in accord with my experience of helping someone else if your income/benefits entitle you to housing benefit then most areas will pay mooring fees. Some will also then pay the licence fee as it is also part of the housing cost. If you do not have a mooring then your 'entitlement' is nothing/dead end.

As someone has posted in accord with my experience of helping someone else if your income/benefits entitle you to housing benefit then most areas will pay mooring fees. Some will also then pay the licence fee as it is also part of the housing cost. If you do not have a mooring then your 'entitlement' is nothing/dead end.

Not sure that's right. I know a CCer who was getting his licence paid, and then winter mooring fees when incurred. He's not been around for a while though, so I can't check the details with him, but I'm very sure he was successfully claiming for these. The hardest thing is persuading a council you're their responsibility, so it may be easier to lodge the claim once you have a winter mooring on their patch.

Not sure that's right. I know a CCer who was getting his licence paid, and then winter mooring fees when incurred. He's not been around for a while though, so I can't check the details with him, but I'm very sure he was successfully claiming for these. The hardest thing is persuading a council you're their responsibility, so it may be easier to lodge the claim once you have a winter mooring on their patch.

You are not a local council responsibility unless you have local roots, a mooring, within its jurisprudence.

You are not a local council responsibility unless you have local roots, a mooring, within its jurisprudence.

I think you are wrong as someone who rents out properties I have had people move from outside the area and be able to claim housing benefit from the day they move in. If you are entitled to housing benefit you are entitled length of period in any area makes no difference. A lot of people that are unemployed move to a new area where they think they have more chance of finding employment. I think there was politician a few years ago that was telling people "to get on their bike" to find work.

I think you are wrong as someone who rents out properties I have had people move from outside the area and be able to claim housing benefit from the day they move in. If you are entitled to housing benefit you are entitled length of period in any area makes no difference. A lot of people that are unemployed move to a new area where they think they have more chance of finding employment. I think there was politician a few years ago that was telling people "to get on their bike" to find work.

John

I think that the OP was inferring that the mooring was establishing local roots not having a previous historical connection with the area.

John

It is not to do with where you have come from. Different authorities may take a different line but here you cannot just get your licence baid by benefit. You can get your mooring fees paid by Housing Benefit and then, though it is not an entitlement, you may also have your licence covered by the same benefit. So the question by CCers was they had been unable to get the BW Licence covered by benefit, had anyone else? My twopenneth contribution was having tried on behalf of someone and the CAB trying - No, for the reasons stated. It is as well that folks misconceptions about a 'free lifestyle' are aired.

John

I think that the OP was inferring that the mooring was establishing local roots not having a previous historical connection with the area.

John

Thanks John, I do spend most of my time in a state of confusion and not reading posts properly, I was of course referring to housing. Note to self "keep up and read posts properly" frusty.gif

It seems to me if you want to claim for your license you have to have a mooring. The local council will then probably help you with the mooring fee's and the dhss may help with the license. If for what ever reason you dont want to have a mooring but need help with your license your pretty much up the creek without one. Its one hell of a minefield. :wacko:

Because that's what most new members tend to do, and because by asking them about themselves, established members show that they are taking a polite interest in new arrivals. I am surprised that I have to explain that. It is, by the way, fairly obvious that Miss Fairy owns a boat, otherwise she would not be asking for advice about buying a licence for it.

It seems to me if you want to claim for your license you have to have a mooring. The local council will then probably help you with the mooring fee's and the dhss may help with the license. If for what ever reason you dont want to have a mooring but need help with your license your pretty much up the creek without one. Its one hell of a minefield. :wacko:

Yes and, it is a bit difficult for a Liveaboard on the level of job seekers or any level of the new Employment Support Allowance to splash out on getting a mooring, presuming one is available, so that they can get help with their boat costs. Catch 22, chicken & eggs and, so forth.

Thanks Everyone for your input.

Just for the curious - I was a member of canalworld discussion forum for some time and gained very useful advice

as well as joining in the fun of the chats, but after several changes of email address for one reason or the other

and life in general have not been contributing for some time so could not get my old user name back and now being an opey dopey

could not remember the password I had and it would have been sent to an email address I no longer have access tooo

All a bit technical I know but well although I am logged as a new member I am not really so hope that stops anyone thinking

I am a spy or something....

B)

Edited by boatfairy