Elderberry wine

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

I used to make wine and beer..years ago while in a house.

I was pottering along today...as one does...noticed abundant elderberries about and thought about making wine.

I do not winter on the boat..and leave it when winter kicks in...I also did not want the hassle of bottling up wine...and wondered about making it now and leaving it in the demijohn until I return in spring.

(October end ?)

Anyone make elderberry wine...?....is there s imple way in a demijohn with a trap....that once 'bubbled out' will stay put without decanting ?

Thank you !

Yours boozily.

Bob

I use three pounds of berries per gallon but in three pressings. The first pressing comes out very rich and heavy and makes a good dessert wine. The second pressing makes a good table wine. The third pressing makes a very light wine which I mainly use for blending with other wines.

Elderberries mmmmmmm the English Grape :lol:

Edited to add: Do not leave it on the lees for very long as it will taint the wine. Elderberry needs to be racked at least a couple of times and preferably three. Rack it once then leave it till spring. Then rack it again. Elderberry improves vastly with age. No wine commercial or otherwise can compare with a well made ten year old elderberry, IMHO.

Elderberry was also the preferred wine of the Pogles! :lol:

Edited by ditchdabbler

I use three pounds of berries per gallon but in three pressings. The first pressing comes out very rich and heavy and makes a good dessert wine. The second pressing makes a good table wine. The third pressing makes a very light wine which I mainly use for blending with other wines.Elderberries mmmmmmm the English Grape

Edited to add: Do not leave it on the lees for very long as it will taint the wine. Elderberry needs to be racked at least a couple of times and preferably three. Rack it once then leave it till spring. Then rack it again. Elderberry improves vastly with age. No wine commercial or otherwise can compare with a well made ten year old elderberry, IMHO. Elderberry was also the preferred wine of the Pogles!

English Grapes they may be, but you need some grape juice in the must to give it some vinosity. The wine won't come to any harm once fermented, if you keep it in a sealed gallon jar. Regular racking gets some air into it (as well as removing sediment) and helps to get rid of the tannin - and there's a lot of that in elderberries!

Beware to use the right variety. One type (I think with small berries), smells and tastes of tom cats pee, the other (fatter IIRC) fruits are good.

The same rule goes for elderflowers in spring.

Elderflower champagne, the nearest us hedge foragers can get the French fizz.

Cheers. :cheers: