Erebus

tillergirl

Featured Posts

The OH and I went to the Hope and Anchor at South Ferriby today and afterwards went for a walk down the banks of the Ancholme.

We found this sitting in the yard at South Ferriby Marina.

http://southferribymarina.com/sfmarina/boa...bus-2/#more-182

What a shame to see EREBUS looking like this. I do not know where the "built 1910" has come from as I do believe this has ever been discovered, ice boats often being difficult to date properly.

I remember EREBUS getting its counter stern and then being converted to the motor tug as seen. At that time (late 1970's) it was the pride and joy of its owner / builder and was only sold when replaced by a new tug of prestigious build.

At that time (late 1970's) it was the pride and joy of its owner / builder and was only sold when replaced by a new tug of prestigious build.

It will be again if I can get my house sold and free up some boat money before someone else buys it, or I can persuade the seller to wait. :lol:

I saw it advertised for sale in the 70's for £4000 and fell in love with it back then. At the time it was advertised as "believed to be" an ex Ashby Canal boat. It was for sale again through a brokerage in the early 90's, I think it was, but again I had no money to buy it. Now there's a chance. Fingers crossed.

Its good to see Erebus again - some boats just disappear off the radar but given it is out of the water in an out of the way yard this is not surprising.

I have no idea who built the original hull but it will be probably beforer 1900 - whether it was for the Ashby Canal I doin't know because in view of its narrowness it might have been more suited to the Shrophire tub boat canals. I believe the counter was put on by Malcolm Pearson, an extremely good if sporadic boatbuilder - I think he ended up at Sirius Yachts.

Erebus is a cute boat with a lovely engine but would not I fear be an easy boat to own. Firstly it is extremely narrow - only 5ft 6ins - which severely compromises accommodation and it is alarmingly unstable. I stepped on it when it was for sale about 15 years ago at Warwickshire Fly and the boat rolled so much the gunnel touched water. The boat at the time was fitted with a cooking stove on gimbals which it certainly needed.

I have pictures somewhere of it at Gas Street and it was later owned by an eccentric Frenchman in London (and pictured on the cover of Waterways World breaking ice.) I last saw it about 10 years ago in the workshop at Milton Keynes Marina having the cabin skinned over in steel (which will not have improved its stability) with some very fine work including dog's head shaped ends to the handrails by Pete there.

Its a very easy boat to fall in love with but before you part with your cash Natalie I would suggest you got them to put it in the water so you can judge for yourself - you are most likely not to be as heavy or clumsy as me.

I often wonder if it was the boat I saw in the late 70s in City Road Basin with big timber baulks as outriggers making it a 7ft wide trimaran. If not there's another one about somewhere.

Paul

There is another one about. It was for sale a year or so ago at the same price. Also 5'6" beam and having the Ailsa Craig engine. It was unnamed in the advert and I thought it might be the same boat until I saw Erebus for sale. It didn't have that lower cabin at the front though. Erebus is also on a brokers site and they say it was one of four. No idea if this is true or not. It is a shame the gimballed paraffin cooking stove appears to have gone.

Yes it is a quirky little boat but for a person on their own who wants something with a bit of history and character and is happy to have a bit of work to do on getting it back to rights it seems perfect. I would much rather have Erebus than a new build. Tell you one thing though. If I do get it, I'm having it moved from South Ferriby by road. I have no idea how it landed up there but there's no way I would be taking it out on the Humber as its first trip. Would be good to have a run up the Ancholme and back though as it isn't a waterway canal boats get to visit very often.

There is another one about. It was for sale a year or so ago at the same price. Also 5'6" beam and having the Ailsa Craig engine. It was unnamed in the advert and I thought it might be the same boat until I saw Erebus for sale. It didn't have that lower cabin at the front though. Erebus is also on a brokers site and they say it was one of four. No idea if this is true or not. It is a shame the gimballed paraffin cooking stove appears to have gone.

Yes it is a quirky little boat but for a person on their own who wants something with a bit of history and character and is happy to have a bit of work to do on getting it back to rights it seems perfect. I would much rather have Erebus than a new build. Tell you one thing though. If I do get it, I'm having it moved from South Ferriby by road. I have no idea how it landed up there but there's no way I would be taking it out on the Humber as its first trip. Would be good to have a run up the Ancholme and back though as it isn't a waterway canal boats get to visit very often.

I think the boat for sale a year so back was a modern replica of the LMS iceboat/tug Roma

which was built by John Rickaby and lay at Keith Ball's yard at Stretton. John had owned the original wooden boat Roma for many years and decided to build a low-maintenance steel version for his retirement. He sold it unfinished though so presumably his plans changed.

Paul

I think the boat for sale a year so back was a modern replica of the LMS iceboat/tug Roma

which was built by John Rickaby and lay at Keith Ball's yard at Stretton. John had owned the original wooden boat Roma for many years and decided to build a low-maintenance steel version for his retirement. He sold it unfinished though so presumably his plans changed.

Paul

The replica was cut in half by Keith and two (rather nice) boats made out from it.

Roma was recently sold - I thought about buying it.

You are right it is very tiny and its in a very sorry state!

Natalie - at the bow there is a raised box section with two portholes - I assume thats where the sleeping quarters may have been. Its a very deep boat with a very tiny stern and very narrow strakes. Having said that apart from wanting new anodes its looks to be in very good condition. could'nt see inside it.

I had thought about emailing one of the museums to see if they would be interested in saving it.

Such a shame to see it looking so sad. :lol:

How many other narrowboats did you meet on that trip? :lol:

That's not the one I'm thinking of. This was definitely advertised as an ex-ice boat, It was being sold by someone called Roberts from Cheshire and had a grey T&G cabin with an unusual clerestory over the front half

You are right it is very tiny and its in a very sorry state!

Natalie - at the bow there is a raised box section with two portholes - I assume thats where the sleeping quarters may have been. Its a very deep boat with a very tiny stern and very narrow strakes. Having said that apart from wanting new anodes its looks to be in very good condition. could'nt see inside it.

I had thought about emailing one of the museums to see if they would be interested in saving it.

Such a shame to see it looking so sad. :lol:

Don't email any museums just yet. I'm definitely interested in saving it. From the photos I've seen of the jnside it looks as rough as the outside, but more in need of cleaning and refinishing (and removing old Dulux tins) than any major rebuilding. It certainly needs a new toilet roll :lol: The engine looks reasonably well cared for. At least it is clean(ish) and not covered in rust. Apparently the current owner bought the boat as restoration project but has been unable to do much because of illness.

Edited by Natalie Graham

Erebus was the apple of my eye in the early 80's. I remember her poddling around Little Venice and Uxbridge. The owner at the time was certainly eccentric but I don't think he was French (although I do recall him boating in a beret) he went on to buy the wooden FMC wide boat Buffalo or was it Bison.

He told me he was going to run it as a hotel boat for stressed out business men to chill out on. I doubt whether he did as he promptly painted all of the windows in black paint, and became quite reclusive.

The last time I saw Erebus was around 1985 and she was sitting on the off side at Stoke Bruerne. I'm pleased to see she still has the Ailsa Craig, I remember John Edwards at Gas Street doing some work on that. It was said that the flywheel was the wrong one and belonged to a twin, which caused it to run a bit laboured as it was already under a strain. I also remember being told that she often bottomed out in the middle of Gas Street basin as she was quite deep in the water, but being round bilged she'd easily roll off obstructions. Talking of rolling you'd have to be brave to attempt walking down the gunnels.

We had a thread on here a couple of years back about Ice Boats and I asked at the time if anyone knew what had happened to Erebus, so now we know.

That's not the one I'm thinking of. This was definitely advertised as an ex-ice boat, It was being sold by someone called Roberts from Cheshire and had a grey T&G cabin with an unusual clerestory over the front half

That was the original Roma - all wood. John and Diane Roberts were selling it.

He told me he was going to run it as a hotel boat for stressed out business men to chill out on.

A brothel?

Don't email any museums just yet. I'm definitely interested in saving it. From the photos I've seen of the jnside it looks as rough as the outside, but more in need of cleaning and refinishing (and removing old Dulux tins) than any major rebuilding. It certainly needs a new toilet roll :lol: The engine looks reasonably well cared for. At least it is clean(ish) and not covered in rust. Apparently the current owner bought the boat as restoration project but has been unable to do much because of illness.

I hope you get it .... it's gorgeous

I don't know if this will help or just cloud the waters so to speak, but in the Spring of 1969, Keith Christie, Cliff Sherwood and Clive Stevens purchased off British Waterways at their Hartshill yard, a steam dredger, two stabilising pontoons and an ice boat. The hull of the dredger was sold on to be a static house boat, the two pontoons are still gainfully employed at Norton Canes boatyard. The riveted iron ice boat was 5' 6" beam, 3' 0" draft and about 25' 0" in length.Like all ice boats it had very fine lines but had a completely rounded hull. It was sold to a local Tipton resident (surname Elwell) who's house backed onto the offside of the B'ham Old main line just down from Tipton Junction/Batsons stop. We bow hauled it round to the back of his house very quickly before it sank as it was like a colindar, and dragged it out onto his garden. He had big plans for it but it never materialised and it was later sold on again in 1970. The last I heard was that it had had a counter welded on around the existing 'butty' type starn end and convertyed into a tug.

Blossom.

The OH and I are really pleased we've found something that was thought lost :lol: And very pleased that Natalie has a penchant for taking the old girl on.We are looking for a boat but not that small!! Good luck Natalie I hope you manage to buy Erebus. If you do don't forget to post pictures - before and after :lol:

If not maybe we should try to get one of the trusts or museums interested in saving her.

Hope there are others on here who can supply some more history of the boat.

Edited by tillergirl

If not maybe we should try to get one of the trusts or museums interested in saving her.

Oh god no. If you want to save it that is the last thing you should do. Best just get the gas axe on it and let it die with dignity rather than subject it to a slow painful museum death.

They have sent me a load of pictures. Looks very interesting but more than a little work to get it back to decent condition. Anyone know how available spares for A.Cs are?

Would be good to know if the old backend is still there, hidden by the counter. Could be interesting to remove it, though would make it roll even worse.

I would be interested but financial priorities are reserved for something else at the moment.

Edited by Speedwheel

Good. :lol:

Notwithstanding the unfortunate circumstances of the vendor - I do think you should try and get the price down.

It does need work and I doubt will be particularly desirable due to its size, the fact that it will roll terribly and that engine spares could be difficult.

Good luck anyway - hope you get it (unless I change my mind :lol: )

Edited by Speedwheel

• 4 weeks later...