Boat rental companies

Steve Smyth

Featured Posts

Looking for anyones input into the quality of boats available from Anglo Welsh vs Black Prince or CountryWide Cruisers. Any one have any opinions or stories good or bad regarding these 3 companies? We are looking at cruising the Shroppie in August 2006 as a group of complete Newbies. Any comments either way would be appreciated!

Cheers ;)

Steve from Canada

Steve.

From my very limited experience with hire boats you get what you pay for, all the boats other than perhaps the rock bottom price range should be sound and reliable the extra cost represents purely the standard of comfort and facilities you will get.

One tip though hire a boat with more berths than you need, even the best boats can be a bit cramped at full capacity.

Looking for anyones input into the quality of boats available from Anglo Welsh vs Black Prince or CountryWide Cruisers. Any one have any opinions or stories good or bad regarding these 3 companies? We are looking at cruising the Shroppie in August 2006 as a group of complete Newbies. Any comments either way would be appreciated!

Cheers ;)

Steve from Canada

You may find it interesting to look in Google Groups:

Group: uk.rec.waterways

Title: Terrible Holiday with Black Prince

I've never hired from them so I can't comment about the thread, you'll have to draw your own conclusions.

Regards - Allan

Of course some people will have bad experiences to tell with every company that you look at but on the whole many companies are very good and although I have not hired for many years now we see many hire boats out and about and Anglo Welsh & Black Prince seem to have some good quality boats now which are reliable.

Going with smaller not so popular countries is ok but they may not have for example mechanics who can come out to your boat should it break down pretty much straight away.

Make sure before you set out that you take any advice that the companies offer you though as for example I was steering along the Brum & worc canal in October (I am a very good driver before anyone says young drivers..) and an Anglo Welsh boat came bombing it around a bend on the wrong side of the canal coming straight for me.. and didn't try to get over.. instead it steered towards me.. so from my experience i knew what emergency action to take and managed to stop before it hit me..

But this boat had obviosuly not been giving very good steering adivce or any rules of which side of the canal you are meant to be on.

Anyway I will stop rambling:-)

I followed the story about Black Prince.

It is very easy to paint a black picture when you are only telling one side of the story.

Although I have never hired from BP I know people that have and they have been more than happy with the boats and the company.

I wouldn't let this story put me off BP.

i stopped at one place supposed to have all facilities and the bp signs were all over the place.

i dont know if it was one of their depots but if the boats are anything like that place i would have turned round and left had i been a hirer.

shambles comes to mind as a description and that is being kindly,the explanation that it was nearly the seasons end was given when i asked if it was always so ramshackle.

i stopped at one place supposed to have all facilities and the bp signs were all over the place.

i dont know if it was one of their depots but if the boats are anything like that place i would have turned round and left had i been a hirer.

shambles comes to mind as a description and that is being kindly,the explanation that it was nearly the seasons end was given when i asked if it was always so ramshackle.

very valid.. There boats are nice now though and are become much nicer so I believe.

Gaggle, it may have been because it is the seasons end.. some hire companies just give up it seems. What exactly was wrong.. I have been to many places which are meant to have facilities which are just ridiculous to put it in a nice way so it would be interested to know about bp.

Thank you all for your input- as for the guy on the wrong side of the Canal- must have been a fellow Canadian on the wrong side of the road :-)

Countrywide sells itself in its brochure as a bit more luxurious. I was curious if anyone could prove/disprove this or is it just a better put together brochure? They are priced a bit higher than the other 2 I asked about. AW seems to be next on the list, then BP. Am I missing any others on the Shroppie?

Thanks again

Steve

Yeah interesting.

- I think one of the problems is that even people who hire reguarly tend to stick with the one company year-in year-out. Unless they have a problem/bad eperence, and then switch to another company, ang go around 'flaming' that company!

I personaly have never hired a boat, or infact every been on anothet boat in my life.

- Somthing which im always trying to rectify.

Daniel

Thank you all for your input- as for the guy on the wrong side of the Canal- must have been a fellow Canadian on the wrong side of the road :-)

Countrywide sells itself in its brochure as a bit more luxurious. I was curious if anyone could prove/disprove this or is it just a better put together brochure? They are priced a bit higher than the other 2 I asked about. AW seems to be next on the list, then BP. Am I missing any others on the Shroppie?

Thanks again

Steve

Hi Steve

There is only one word to describe Countrywide Cruisers - excellent. The five star boats are among the best you will find and even rival some high class private boats.

We hired from CWC in 2004 (for 12 weeks) - the staff are very friendly and go out of there way to assist. We took Sir Ironside on its maiden voyage from May to July. You can read about our adventures in this forum's Cruise Diaries (Two Aussies on the Cut).

We went one step further than most and, after looking at a number of boats for sale, bought one of the hire fleet. We cruised for another 12 weeks in 2005 (see 2005 Cruise) and plan a 15 week cruise from March to mid-July in 2006 and a similar time in subsequent years. Our boat is for hire when we are not using it.

If you would like any further information please pm me.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Thanks again

Steve

One company you may be missing is Middlewich Narrowboats and, I think, Andersen boats. Not technically on the Shroppie, but if I've remembered correctly, the Middlewich canal is a branch of the Shroppie (and takes about four hours cruising to get from the junction with the Trent & Mersey to Barbridge junction on the Shroppie.

Our group hire from Middlewich narrowboats as the boats offer the best layout for seven blokes not wanting to share a bed with anyone ! I certainly have no complaints regarding the level of service and there is as much or little tuition as you want. For example, if you've all worked locks before then they won't go through the process of showing you unless you want to. Very friendly people too !

Cheers :)

Steve from Canada

Steve,

I would put boat quality top of your agenda, this is very variable depending on the operator and age of their fleet, nor are you restricted to these 3 operators, some of the smaller ones only have a small number of boats but can be more interesting boats, you shuld be able to search them out on the internet

Charles

• 2 weeks later...

Steve,

I would put boat quality top of your agenda, this is very variable depending on the operator and age of their fleet,

Thanks for your input all. We have narrowed our choices to Sir Ulfius (CWC) and Solace (Napton NB). Has anyone by chnace seen or even rented either? Solace is a 60 footer, Sir Ulfius is a 55' boat. Is 60' too long for newbie couples? Also, Is north or south from Brewood/ Autherly likely to be more pleasant for first timers?

Cheers all

We have narrowed our choices to Sir Ulfius (CWC) and Solace (Napton NB). Has anyone by chnace seen or even rented either? Solace is a 60 footer, Sir Ulfius is a 55' boat. Is 60' too long for newbie couples? Also, Is north or south from Brewood/ Autherly likely to be more pleasant for first timers?

Countrywide Cruisers and Napton Narrowboats are on different parts of the system. You need to make a final choice of boat before we can give you decent advice. I've not hired from either firm but I've seen their boats. Both look good but Countrywide are probably better.

The Shropshire Union runs north from Autherley/Brewood and makes a good introduction to the canals for first timers with no long run of locks until you get to Audlem but the Staffs & Worcester in either direction can be more interesting.

Countrywide Cruisers and Napton Narrowboats are on different parts of the system. You need to make a final choice of boat before we can give you decent advice.

Sorry Paul _ I should have clarified- the NApton boat is out of Autherly- the CWC from Brewood- both offer an option of going nort or south from there- I'm leaning to the CWC but remain torn over the direction of travel

Cheers

Steve

Now, how long will you be on the boat for? That determines what you can do.

We have selected Countrywide from Brewood and are taking the "Sir Ulfius" out for a week. Any suggestions? I beleive we are leaning towards doing the "Shroppie" to Chester and back but I could be convinced to go in another direction

Cheers

Steve

Now, how long will you be on the boat for? That determines what you can do.

We have selected Countrywide from Brewood and are taking the "Sir Ulfius" out for a week. Any suggestions? I beleive we are leaning towards doing the "Shroppie" to Chester and back but I could be convinced to go in another direction

Cheers

Steve

We are looking at going from there this year.

I've narrowed it down to about 5 different routes so far. LOL

It all boils down to how many hours per day you want to be on the move. aint made up my mind yet.

I'd suggest sticking with North along the Shroppie, as ur a newb. 1 lock to begin with, then a loooong 27 mile (i think) stretch with no locks. and when you do get locks they're in groups.....5, 5 and 15 (from memory)

You've got embankments, cuttings, tunnels......it's all good. And when your halfway into your hols, just turn around!!!

If you don't like fields, trees, wildlife etc tho, it won't be for you. As it's mostly rural.

If you'd like to experience the city life, head towards birmingham................but i wouldnt suggest it for a newb....and a foreign one at that.

Edited by kawaton

It all boils down to how many hours per day you want to be on the move.

Yeah thats it.

- How many hours, and hard you plan to work though locks, how many will be locking, etc.

We avarage a bit over 30 lockmiles/day, slightly faster on locks.

- We basicaly dont do anything boat, my grandads up at 7, we're moving my 8, and then often cruse though till 8/9, eat, and then to bed my 10. (with my grandad starting/cooking the meal while im still at the helm)

- If we are with company (my mum/dad, or friends of his) we will usally do a 10/15min "pub stop" but often no more. If its just me and grandad we just have a 'tin' of tetleys or somthing.

But thats not how everyone does it.

Daniel