sunken wooden boat 2

stagedamager

Featured Posts

It has been sunk there for quite a while. There used to be an old boy living on it so I don't tknow what has happened to him.

I think it was one of a group of three built by 'someone in particular' - it's late and my brain is not fully working.

Im sure Carl will be along soon to fill in the details (BTW I saw the numberplate C4 RLT tonight)

I met the old boy a few years back at Northwich and I'm sad to,see his boats demise; i do worry

I'm sure I remember it being said it's a Nurser's boat and the bow had me thinking as much when we passed recently.

However considering the state of things atm I fear she'll fall foul of the dredger. Shame!

Evening all,

Above shade house lock at Fradley there is a sunken wooden hull, on the towpath side, named as "Flycatcher". Does anyone have any information about this boat, Jim Shead doesn't tell much.

Regards in anticipation

Dan

The earliest index number printout I have is from late 1983 and it was called FLYCATCHER (79066) back then. To be honest this is not a boat I have heard of !

Im sure Carl will be along soon to fill in the details (BTW I saw the numberplate C4 RLT tonight)

Like Pete, I too have not heard of this boat.

Any photos?

I have heard reports of someone using my numberplates, on their car. If they're not on my Bugatti Veyron, then they're not genuine.

Like Pete, I too have not heard of this boat.

Any photos?

I was tied up a couple of boats on from it this time last week but didn't take photos. It is sunk to about level with the gunnels on the towpath side, slightly deeper on the other. That little of the hull was above the water that I was unable to tell its origins, though it was obviously a wooden boat.

That said, my feelings were it was built as a pleasure boat rather than a conversion of a work boat. It had quite an attractive superstructure, better than average, but this has been sheathed in glass fibre.

Pic on this blog.

http://www.wellscargo.co.uk/blog/?p=108

That said, my feelings were it was built as a pleasure boat rather than a conversion of a work boat. It had quite an attractive superstructure, better than average, but this has been sheathed in glass fibre.

That is my understanding also.

Looks like a straightforward lift and a tidy boat, worthy of recovery. Boats with full length cabins are easy to refloat.

It always amuses me that the many reports of wooden boats sinking always seem to be reading the last rites.

If it really was holed, by striking something, then it can't be that serious, if there was time to moor the boat up.

Put a pump in, find the leak, nail a bit of ply or tingle over the hole and cruise to a dry dock (eventually).

From memory the owner had a bilge pump running almost continuously to keep it afloat so I would think it is more likely owner was away and pump stopped. That said it didn’t look to be in to bad condition - certainly worth keeping.

There is a very similar boat that has the cabin varnished. Not sure of the name though.

Edited by Speedwheel

I was tied up a couple of boats on from it this time last week but didn't take photos. It is sunk to about level with the gunnels on the towpath side, slightly deeper on the other. That little of the hull was above the water that I was unable to tell its origins, though it was obviously a wooden boat.

The cabin and hopper type windows look more Walton, Coseley to me.

There is a very similar boat that has the cabin varnished. Not sure of the name though.

HEART OF OAK ?

Edited by pete harrison