Buying a BW licence

Featured Posts

Quick question.....

The licence on the boat we are buying expires at the end of August 2010 - if all goes to plan we pick her up 14th August

When should we apply for renewal??

I would say as soon as its yours.

We took ownership of our boat on Friday 25 June, and the license expired at the end of June.

I took the form into the Fradley office on Monday 28 June, and the license finally arrived last Thursday 29th July. So basically a month from applying to getting the license. I did change the boat name at the same time, so I don't know if that prolonged the time taken.

The only real benefit from taking into a BW office it that you go get a receipt to display on the boat while you are waiting for the license to come; looks a bit better than the classic "license applied for" on a scrap of paper!

As it happens your response raises another question - we too plan to change our boat name -

SO does the name on the licence application and thus 'registered' with BW have to match the name painted on the side of the boat.

If we (as planned) apply for a licence in the name of 'No Deadlines' what will happen given the boat is currently known as 'The Dog House'...

Does the name on the licence HAVE to match the one painted on the boat side (As long as the index number matches....)

No idea if it really matters if the name matches what is painted on the boat, we were lucky the name was not written on ours.

All you do on the licence form is above where you put the boat name you write "rename from [old_name] to new name" and in the name box put the new name you want to call it. That is what BW customer service told me to do and it certainly worked, the new licence came with the new name on it.

Does the name on the license HAVE to match the one painted on the boat side (As long as the index number matches....)

No. We changed the boat name at the beginning of the year but the license wasn't due until July. As long as the license index number matches the boats I don't think BW are too bothered. Our 2010 - 2011 license took 2 weeks from application to arrival. I renewed it "on line".

Does the name on the license HAVE to match the one painted on the boat side (As long as the index number matches....)

No. We changed the boat name at the beginning of the year but the license wasn't due until July. As long as the license index number matches the boats I don't think BW are too bothered. Our 2010 - 2011 license took 2 weeks from application to arrival. I renewed it "on line".

Thanks Ray...

I didn't believe you could do it on line if it is a change of ownership, at least that is what BW told me. I was told you have to use the paper form in that first instance.

I sent them an email informing them of the boat name change in January and they were happy with that.

Edit to add "sorry didn't read post properly DOH!!!

Edited by Ray T

BW (for licensing purposes) have minimal interest in the boat name, only it's index number. As said, you can change the name at any time without telling them then, but should at the next renewal.

It makes sense that they use the index number, as there an be only 1 543210, but any number of "Kingfishers".

Strange then that lock-keepers on the rivers, or tunnel keepers on the canals usually record the boat name, and take no interest in the index number.

Not very "joined up" really........

BW (for licensing purposes) have minimal interest in the boat name, only it's index number. As said, you can change the name at any time without telling them then, but should at the next renewal.

It makes sense that they use the index number, as there an be only 1 543210, but any number of "Kingfishers".

Strange then that lock-keepers on the rivers, or tunnel keepers on the canals usually record the boat name, and take no interest in the index number.

Cheers Alan...

We have found that the BW lock keepers take both the number and the boat name. We often get asked for the number if the hoods are on as the index number is partially obscured by the canopy.

Back on topic, when we picked Cal up the licence had expired. The brokerage we bought her from are BW licence agents so they had all of the paperwork ready for us to sign on the day we picked her up. We got a yellow reciept to display to say we had applied for and paid for the licence. From memory it took about six weeks for the new licence to turn up.

As it happens your response raises another question - we too plan to change our boat name -

SO does the name on the licence application and thus 'registered' with BW have to match the name painted on the side of the boat.

If we (as planned) apply for a licence in the name of 'No Deadlines' what will happen given the boat is currently known as 'The Dog House'...

Does the name on the licence HAVE to match the one painted on the boat side (As long as the index number matches....)

De Jure, yes

De Facto, no

A boat on the Kennet and Avon with the name "Bird on a Wire" is licensed under the name "Moonraker", one day Jon will get round to painting it I'm sure

Quite remarkably, I renewed our BW licence by telephone last Thursday and the licence arrived in the post on Monday.

When we renewed on line last year, we sent the application on wednesday afternoon and the licence arrived in the post on friday, so they can be organised sometimes :lol:

As soon as possible, for us its three weeks and counting.

I rang them yesterday to see where we were, but the computer was down. Last night when I got home they had sent a reminder! I rang them again today and we are in the pile to be done this week.... BTW they also wanted a photocopy of the boat safety certificate including with the application as well as details of the boat insurance but you just add the the policy number on the application. You can also save money by posting the application before the licence runs out. I did a recorded delivery on ours to establish when they had receipt.

Mick and Mags

Quick question.....

The licence on the boat we are buying expires at the end of August 2010 - if all goes to plan we pick her up 14th August

I'd apply as soon as poss to take advantage of the discount. I renewed my licence in March and changed the boat name at the same time. New license arrived quickly but still in the old name so I phoned them up (Leeds office) and they put an amended one in the post that arrived the next day. They just told me to tearup the incorrect one and put it in the bin.

Jez

From memory BW need to see a copy of your BSS and also possibly your insurance.

When I bought my boat I tried to speed things up by suggesting either scanning the documents and e-mailing them, or faxing them over. This caused panic in the BW office - they really don't do "thinking outside the box".

The funniest thing was being told that it wouldn't really save any time as they'd have to forward everything onto Leeds. "So why don't you just give me a fax number for Leeds, and I'll send them direct?"

"Ooh no, Leeds don't deal directly with the public".

FFS!

Go to a local office and sort it out face to face, if you can. If you're coming to Willington then Fradley is a relaxed day's boating away, or 15 minutes in the car. It'll be much easier.

Edited by sociable_hermit

From memory BW need to see a copy of your BSS and also possibly your insurance.

When I bought my boat I tried to speed things up by suggesting either scanning the documents and e-mailing them, or faxing them over. This caused panic in the BW office - they really don't do "thinking outside the box".

This is what I did. I filled in the forms, scanned them and emailed them to enquiries.hq@britishwaterways.co.uk. They told me it would be OK to do it this way. It took a month to get the licence (plus plates, as it was a new boat).

They need a copy of the BSS or RCD declaration but not proof of insurance. They ask who the boat is insured with, and say that they check some at random.

No idea if it really matters if the name matches what is painted on the boat, we were lucky the name was not written on ours.

All you do on the licence form is above where you put the boat name you write "rename from [old_name] to new name" and in the name box put the new name you want to call it. That is what BW customer service told me to do and it certainly worked, the new licence came with the new name on it.

I'll second that, we did exactly the same thing given the same advice...no problems!!