Manchester...

Henri

Featured Posts

Castlefield is a prime mooring place for people visiting the city (and spending their cash). I am sure most visitors will only moor there for between 12 hours and 48 hours. It is really irritating when visitor moorings are occupied by............. no I won't rise to the bait ....................

Is the burned & sunken boat still at Castle Quays ?

Agreed, John... but the problem being that they were sold off privately years ago, and so are now privately owned. Nothing to do with Peel/MSC/Bridgewater Canal Co. It would be nice to see boats back in these small arms/wharfs, especially the one outside Key 103 but we can dream!

I was told earlier this evening whilst down at the moorings that there is a boat in Castlefield at the moment that has been tied in the same spot since last September. Talk about take the piss.

I have only noticed the big old boats oppsite the hostel being there that long , what is taking the piss is the trip boats tied up alongside the toilet / elsan point.

In 7 years of regularly visiting Castlefield I have never yet been unable to moor there. I must admit I thought as a BW licence holder I had 14 days on the Bridgewater rather than 7 and have many a time stayed for up to 2 weeks in Castlefield. I never felt bad about occupying a space for visitors because as I say there was always space, outside the YMCA if not along the main arm.

I agree with Journeyperson - the Kings Ransom pub at Sale is probably the best place.

Steve

I have always passed there and moored elsewhere as i was unsure if they were private and for the community boats i see there , often pull over opposite while someone runs to the shops.

You're fine to moor up 140ft and a bit away from the floating pontoon at the Kings Ransom, they are for visitors to the pub (apparently).

If you pull up on the towpath side near the steps upto town, be careful, there is over a dozen shopping trolleys sat in the water just waiting for you, aswell as several road cones.

You're fine to moor up 140ft and a bit away from the floating pontoon at the Kings Ransom, they are for visitors to the pub (apparently).

If you pull up on the towpath side near the steps upto town, be careful, there is over a dozen shopping trolleys sat in the water just waiting for you, aswell as several road cones.

Have you been doing a survey for your scrap enterprise?

Thought you were going to say be careful of the drunks on the steps ,they seem to have gone this year but they never give us a problem anyway they were always good natured.

I will stop at them moorings next time as i always want to have a look around sale but i have always stayed aboard to watch over the boat , the rest of the crew disappear for quite a while and say "nothing there" when asked but they always spend hours visiting nothing.

Thought you were going to say be careful of the drunks on the steps ,they seem to have gone this year but they never give us a problem anyway they were always good natured.

I will stop at them moorings next time as i always want to have a look around sale but i have always stayed aboard to watch over the boat , the rest of the crew disappear for quite a while and say "nothing there" when asked but they always spend hours visiting nothing.

They're not telling lies. Maybe they decided to have a look at Sale Sharks but had to go all the way to Stockport to find them.

I was in Manchester today around mid-day so had a look at Castlefield. There were spaces for at least four 70' boats in the arm and more space outside Y Club and opposite Lock 92.

P1010013.jpg

There was a boat there called Here Today, but it didn't say if it would be gone tomorrow.

You must have got there just at the right time. We got here Weds at took the last space, boats were even moored both sides of the turning point at the end. There has been a large turnover of boats during the two days. The moorings outside the YMCA seem to be blocked off as some event is taking place over the weekend.

Regards

Pete

You must have got there just at the right time. We got here Weds at took the last space, boats were even moored both sides of the turning point at the end. There has been a large turnover of boats during the two days. The moorings outside the YMCA seem to be blocked off as some event is taking place over the weekend.

Regards

Pete

Oh...that's disappointing......we are in Piccadilly Basin at the moment, but were looking forward to coming down to Castlefield in the morning. It was really the reason we decided to come through Manchester. We have visited in the past (before we had the boat) and the boys thought it would be a really cool place to moor. Sounds like bad timing on our part. :lol::lol:

Edited to add a smiley face so I didn't seem quite so pathetic.

Edited by lemontoes

Oh...that's disappointing......we are in Piccadilly Basin at the moment, but were looking forward to coming down to Castlefield in the morning. It was really the reason we decided to come through Manchester. We have visited in the past (before we had the boat) and the boys thought it would be a really cool place to moor. Sounds like bad timing on our part. :lol:

It's only the two basins outside the Y Club that are closed - there was lots of room in the main arm earlier today - see photo above.