Anti-social behaviour on a Lincolnshire waterway

Josher

Featured Posts

I'm not sure which part of that meant to be me, I am anti gun yes, religious, no.

The reason I say you are part of the problem is because your resolve to this hypothetical issue has been based on retaliation, revenge, threat and (gun) violence. Let’s take these qualities of yours and transpose them onto a young person say, over the age of 14 on the white city estate in Shepherd's bush. I can almost guarantee that you would have some negative thoughts towards that young person without ever thinking that you share the same resolve.

You have a gun, why?

Because I like to shoot pheasants, partridge and pigeons :lol: As for Shepherd's Bush estate...I wouldnt even try and make a point of trying to defend myself their, I would run until I collapsed. That estate probably has more weapons than the MOD!

The point of Christianity being to keep the masses in fear and paying donations to a massive organisation that likes to fiddle with kiddies?

Ok, ok - I cede that their may be quite a few decent ethical lesssons within the bible and other religians, but the organisation its self? I have no respect nor time for it, they were just a way of gaining power and influence over the populace in a by gone age when the earth was flat and the only way anything could be explained was 'god made it so'.

We have science now. And thank God!

As for me not being intelligent, nah Im dumb as two house bricks mate. Private Education (Salve! - yes, that is Latin which I know a little of) and University does that to most people. Damn those student parties! And all that alcohol! And all those drugs! Damn!

You're confusing education with intelligence.

Wriggly BA Hons, MSoc Sci, MPhil, PhD

Also, what right do they have to stop people from travelling along a right-of-way so that they can have their shoot? I'd be tempted to tell them to b*gger off!

I believe the right stems from the 'its for your own safety' mindset! The few boats that we did stop were always quite bemused and happy to see us shooting, was quite good :lol:

Guest wanted
The point of Christianity being to keep the masses in fear and paying donations to a massive organisation that likes to fiddle with kiddies?

Ok, ok - I cede that their may be quite a few decent ethical lesssons within the bible and other religians, but the organisation its self? I have no respect nor time for it, they were just a way of gaining power and influence over the populace in a by gone age when the earth was flat and the only way anything could be explained was 'god made it so'.

As for me not being intelligent, nah Im dumb as two house bricks mate. Private Education (Salve! - yes, that is Latin which I know a little of) and University does that to most people. Damn those student parties! And all that alcohol! And all those drugs! Damn!

ist29186969madcuckooclo.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I believe the right stems from the 'its for your own safety' mindset! The few boats that we did stop were always quite bemused and happy to see us shooting, was quite good :lol:

Maybe they stopped because a bunch of gun wielding yobs was openly flouting the law.

BW Bylaws:

Ironic that you'd be breaking the same laws as the yobs throwing stones.

Hmm, it would seem so. Thankyou for enlightening me, however the fact still stands that I would use a shot gun on my boat if I was in immient danger.

Maybe they stopped because a bunch of gun wielding yobs was openly flouting the law.

It seems like you've been a shoot before then :lol:

Your mixing Catholicism up with Chrisianity...

It seems like you've been a shoot before then :lol:

Legal ones, yes.

I have no time for yobs with guns who bully people into stopping boating, by firing across the canal.

It rather reminds me of the mindless yobs who think its okay to throw stones across the canal.

I would reverse back and await the arrival of the police, in both instances.

Hmmm, so it would be OK for me to stand beside the M1 shooting pheasants just so long as I ask the traffic to stop for my pleasure?

Guest wanted
Because I like to shoot pheasants, partridge and pigeons :lol: As for Shepherd's Bush estate...I wouldnt even try and make a point of trying to defend myself their, I would run until I collapsed. That estate probably has more weapons than the MOD!

So, please shoot at birds then and not people(que the next argument)

As for the estate, it's where I work, I would probably feel the same way about it as you if I shared your attitude, however my stance is different and therefore I don't feel the need to defend myself. What we can do though is celebrate the amazing community on the estate and how they stick together in the face of poverty and adversity. It is tough, young people can be anti social, shooting at them will not do anything but condone it.

Legal ones, yes.

I have no time for yobs with guns who bully people into stopping boating, by firing across the canal.

It rather reminds me of the mindless yobs who think its okay to throw stones across the canal.

I would reverse back and await the arrival of the police, in both instances.

I think you will find what I said was that boats were stopped by runners, not firing accross the canal. I did indeed think what we were doing was legal - alas BW bye laws say not so, in which case fairplay, and I am sure if we had known then we would not have done it, with so many bye laws and laws around it is quite hard to obey them all - but we were obeying the fundlemental rule of guns - being safe. We are no longer on that shoot but one a little further up the canal, which has no drives backing onto the canal, just our wood where all the birds live :lol:

So, please shoot at birds then and not people(que the next argument)

As for the estate, it's where I work, I would probably feel the same way about it as you if I shared your attitude, however my stance is different and therefore I don't feel the need to defend myself. What we can do though is celebrate the amazing community on the estate and how they stick together in the face of poverty and adversity. It is tough, young people can be anti social, shooting at them will not do anything but condone it.

I wouldnt be shooting at young people just because they are anti social tho would I? I would only shoot if they present an imminent threat of danger to myself or anyone on board. How does that condone it?

Guest wanted
I think you will find what I said was that boats were stopped by runners, not firing accross the canal. I did indeed think what we were doing was legal - alas BW bye laws say not so, in which case fairplay, and I am sure if we had known then we would not have done it, with so many bye laws and laws around it is quite hard to obey them all - but we were obeying the fundlemental rule of guns - being safe. We are no longer on that shoot but one a little further up the canal, which has no drives backing onto the canal, just our wood where all the birds live :lol:

So you agree it's illegal to shoot off of your boat then?I wouldnt be shooting at young people just because they are anti social tho would I? I would only shoot if they present an imminent threat of danger to myself or anyone on board. How does that condone it?

Hmmm, so it would be OK for me to stand beside the M1 shooting pheasants just so long as I ask the traffic to stop for my pleasure?

You would have to be a distance of either 50 or 100 yds away - I cannot remember the exact number. And as Carl has pointed out, it is against BW bye laws and as such I am sorry! Alas we did not know at the time, and it was many many years ago. We didnt get any complainants at the time....but unsurprisingly people tend not to complain to people holding shot guns, so its not really saying much!

I did indeed think what we were doing was legal - alas BW bye laws say not so, in which case fairplay, and I am sure if we had known then we would not have done it, with so many bye laws and laws around it is quite hard to obey them all - but

Ignorance is no defence, no matter how ignorant the criminal may be.

Guest wanted

I wouldnt be shooting at young people just because they are anti social tho would I? I would only shoot if they present an imminent threat of danger to myself or anyone on board. How does that condone it?

because you are using the same form of reinforcement.

what level of threat are you talking about? life, bump on the head or paint work?

Was it just BW bye laws? While I don't actually know the law in this regard (never needed to know), discharging weapons in the vicinity of a public right of way strikes me as something that would be covered by a law stronger than a simple BW bye law. Particularly when such practice prevents the passage of vehicles along a RoW.

Yes I do agree as stated by Carl that BW bye laws state it is illegal to shoot off a boat. However as I have said countless times, if left with no option and myself or those around me were in immient serious danger I would shoot. Simple, illegal or legal. Whether or not I would be prosecuted, my safety and those around me means more to me than going to prison - because I know I'd have done the right thing, protected myself and those around me.

because you are using the same form of reinforcement.

what level of threat are you talking about? life, bump on the head or paint work?

Life of course.

Was it just BW bye laws? While I don't actually know the law in this regard (never needed to know), discharging weapons in the vicinity of a public right of way strikes me as something that would be covered by a law stronger than a simple BW bye law. Particularly when such practice prevents the passage of vehicles along a RoW.

Im not entirely sure on that but I dont think so Matthew. I know for example that we have a current right of way through our current shoot. We can still shoot there and they have to stick to the path. I remember one year a load of cycalists turned up and nearly ruined a few drives for us because they DIDNT stick to the path.

Guest wanted
Yes I do agree as stated by Carl that BW bye laws state it is illegal to shoot off a boat. However as I have said countless times, if left with no option and myself or those around me were in immient serious danger I would shoot. Simple, illegal or legal. Whether or not I would be prosecuted, my safety and those around me means more to me than going to prison - because I know I'd have done the right thing, protected myself and those around me.

Life of course.

do you not think it a little odd though that you would appear to be one of the only ones who think that the dangers of boating are as such that a gun may be needed to protect yourself, and hold on, it just so happens that you also like shooting birds and you happen to have a gun to hand. I'm worried

do you not think it a little odd though that you would appear to be one of the only ones who think that the dangers of boating are as such that a gun may be needed to protect yourself, and hold on, it just so happens that you also like shooting birds and you happen to have a gun to hand. I'm worried

A gun may be needed to protect oneself in any aspect of life, and yes I do like shooting birds - which may I remind you that more pheasants and partridge are bred every year and let loose into the wild than are shot each year... And I dont happen to have a gun to hand, funnily enough its locked in its cabinet :lol: There is nothing quite like a good shoot day, the challenge of high and hard to hit birds and the good drinking session that happens too :lol:

A gun may be needed to protect oneself in any aspect of life, and yes I do like shooting birds - which may I remind you that more pheasants and partridge are bred every year and let loose into the wild than are shot each year... And I dont happen to have a gun to hand, funnily enough its locked in its cabinet :lol: There is nothing quite like a good shoot day, the challenge of high and hard to hit birds and the good drinking session that happens too :lol:

Ahh the camaraderie of hard drinking men with guns..... Posse anyone ..

So what action would these hypothetical youths have to take to warrant a shot over the head?