boiler keeps turning off when in shower

AndrewB10

Featured Posts

Hi, when I get a shower I spend about 2-3 mins and then the water goes cold and the boiler goes off. No pilot light, I've not got the cold tap on at the same time either. The gas bottle is full, the regulator is fine and fastened on properly and the cooker works fine.

Anyone had the same problem before, or know what to do?

Cheers

A

Hi, when I get a shower I spend about 2-3 mins and then the water goes cold and the boiler goes off. No pilot light, I've not got the cold tap on at the same time either. The gas bottle is full, the regulator is fine and fastened on properly and the cooker works fine.

Cheers

A

Are you using Butane ( blue) or Propane (red) ? I would expect this to happen with Butane as the heavy draw on the bottle, even in summer, would cause the bottle / gas temp to drop below its boiling point ( 0 deg C ), whereas propane is much lower than this and should be used.

Check to see what the gas is you are using, and the temp of the bottle when it "goes off"

Nick

had this ashore, transpired that every time the main burner fired up it 'blew' the pilot light out. Investigation showed a white ash like deposit had partially blocked pilot hole. Cure was to blow the muck out with an airline. Engineer said that it can also happen when main burner starts which often lowers gas pressure available to the pilot assembly. This was on an old ascot i think

I guess it could also be a failing thermocouple - Main burner starts, pilot light decreases in size slightly and thermocouple trips the boiler out.

That's just a wild guess though.

Tony

I guess it could also be a failing thermocouple - Main burner starts, pilot light decreases in size slightly and thermocouple trips the boiler out.

That's just a wild guess though.

Tony

unlikely to be that as they fail almost immediately when they go.

part blocked pilot or insufficient gas flow will be the most likely cause, followed by a scaled heat exchanger

Cheers

A

What sort of "boiler" is it? What does the water pump do just before /when/ after the boiler goes out?

N

Cheers

A

Make and model of the 'boiler' would be more than helpful!

Sounds like the overheat thermostat tripping and shutting down the pilot light (by disconnecting the thermocouple) to me.

Just a wild guess though without knowing the boiler. Do spill the beans; the shots in the dark would be SO much more accurate!

MTBM