Tawny Owl is broken!

RLWP

Featured Posts

If you should be on the canal in Stratford, Tawny Owl is currently with Valley Cruises as she's blown her cylinder head gasket.

Give her a friendly pat if you pass her, poor thing.

I'm going to get them to fix her as I haven't got time at the moment

Richard

If you should be on the canal in Stratford, Tawny Owl is currently with Valley Cruises as she's blown her cylinder head gasket.

Give her a friendly pat if you pass her, poor thing.

I'm going to get them to fix her as I haven't got time at the moment

Richard

Aw, Richard!

Good luck with her - surprised you've not got time to change the head gasket?

PC

Aw, Richard!

Good luck with her - surprised you've not got time to change the head gasket?

PC

Too many bits of tatty Harborough boat about the place here

Richard

See, Yoda was right after all.

Rubbish engines, rubbish built by rubbish "mechanics" who's main interest was either going to the pub, or arranging the next strike.

See, Yoda was right after all.

Rubbish engines, rubbish built by rubbish "mechanics" who's main interest was either going to the pub, or arranging the next strike.

I know. They're so rubbish they won't even run for a couple of hours without water before they seize up. Disgraceful

Richard

She turns over and runs fine now, only there are bubbles of gas coming up in the header tank

I know. They're so rubbish they won't even run for a couple of hours without water before they seize up. Disgraceful

But if they were any use at all, they wouldn't "use" water, so it should never happen................ (apparently!.....)

Just hope you don't end up with occasional mysterious "schlobber" out the exhaust once the gasket is done..... :lol:

If you ever dare to admit to that, I'll delight in getting my own back, and telling you you are worrying about nothing! :lol:

But if they were any use at all, they wouldn't "use" water, so it should never happen................ (apparently!.....)

Just hope you don't end up with occasional mysterious "schlobber" out the exhaust once the gasket is done..... :lol:

If you ever dare to admit to that, I'll delight in getting my own back, and telling you you are worrying about nothing! :lol:

The loss of water is the current mystery. Apparently when it cooled down the system was topped up with seven litres of water, so the engine must have been running almost completely dry. If you were producing seven litres of slobber, I'd be concerned too

Richard

If you were producing seven litres of slobber, I'd be concerned too

Certainly if I personally was, it would be more than a bit worrying!

(Boat engines I am less worried about, as they have habits of doing odd things - at least if it's a BMC, they do.....)

I would have thought that one of your good friends may have had time to change the gasket for you, Richard?

:lol: :lol:

Well, as the boat is in a boatyard in Stratford, and their engineer seems very competent, and their labour rate is competitive, and I have too many other things on, I'm happy to let them have the job

Richard

I've got other things in mind for Paul...

Sorry to hear Tawny Owl is out of sorts - I hope it had nothing to do with being used as a temporary base for the equivalent of the Army Catering Corp!

hope she is soon fixed

It's the engine that's broke, not the galley! :lol:

Richard

Sorry to hear that.

Stratford isn't a bad place to be stuck, though.

Apparently Mitsubishis have a habit of breaking cylinder heads. There but for the grace of God...

I'm sure Tawny Owl is enjoying the ambience in Stratford. I'm in Kenilworth :lol:

Richard

In which case, that is indeed a sad state of affairs.

Were you on the River or the canal when it let go? What happened?

Some friends of ours had been out on the river with her the day before. Wednesday, they got to the top lock in Stratford (the one by the A3400) when she stopped, leaving enough forward momentum to drift to the boatyard. Neat huh!

Richard

Some friends of ours had been out on the river with her the day before. Wednesday, they got to the top lock in Stratford (the one by the A3400) when she stopped, leaving enough forward momentum to drift to the boatyard. Neat huh!

Richard

How come that never happens to me when I break down?

Poor Tawny Owl, hope she's running fine soon and that the job you find for Paul involves some element of pain. I think he'd enjoy it from what I've seen of his Photoshopped photos.....

Edited by wrigglefingers

Poor Tawny Owl, hope she's running fine soon and that the job you find for Paul involves some element of pain. I think he'd enjoy it from what I've seen of his Photoshopped photos.....

Sometimes she can be a very classy lady

Thanks Wriggly

Richard

Richard

Nice!

I hope the repair is a good one and everything goes ok.

I hope that all's well soon. I am puzzled by the reference to "Valley Cruises"; we used to moor there, and they were at Hartshill, not Stratford. have they taken over a second base?

I hope that all's well soon. I am puzzled by the reference to "Valley Cruises"; we used to moor there, and they were at Hartshill, not Stratford. have they taken over a second base?

Yes, they've taken over the wharf that was, let's see, Cascades/Stratford Court if that's right.

Richard