Another one

AlanM6

Featured Posts

Ok here I am again asking for opinions good or bad, this is another boat that I have arranged to view ( remember I,m a boat thickie) Ive made a little list of likes and dislikes and I have taken onboard about the importance of getting a survey carried out.

LIKES 1 within budget, although i,m not sure what to offer

2 open plan layout

3 Plain paneling rather than T&G interior

4 One owner from new

5 Local only a couple of hours cruising From the marina I intend to keep her.

Dislikes

1 Age 1984

2 louvered windows security issue (can alter)

3 Plain paint job ( can work on that)

4 No wine cellar

5 Not sure about what i,m doing ( thats why i,m asking here.)

Not sure abouts

1 BMC 1.5 Engine ( after reading posts in single cylinder thread) I will check for leaks and smoking.

2 Hull condition ( survey should give me info)

Anything you can add to my likes or Dislikes list would be most helpfull

Thank you all in advance.

Alan.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=153209

Edited by AlanM6

Ok here I am again asking for opinions good or bad, this is another boat that I have arranged to view ( remember I,m a boat thickie) Ive made a little list of likes and dislikes and I have taken onboard about the importance of getting a survey carried out.

2 open plan layout

4 One owner from new

Dislikes

1 Age 1984

4 No wine cellar

Not sure abouts

1 BMC 1.5 Engine ( after reading posts in single cylinder thread) I will check for leaks and smoking.

Alan.

:lol:

Looks fine to my and by a respected boat builder the age doesnt matter at that price if the hull is sound. Bmc engines are good so I would go for it but if you do buy it Please Pleeeease Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese get rid of the stupid greenhouse on the back its a narrowboat not an allotment.

It's curious how when, as I understand it the last year Hancock and Lane built narrow boats was 1984, so many of those for sale just happen to be claimed 1984 models. :lol:

I'm more curious about this one, as it doesn't look like a standard H&L boat to me.

The stepped hull thing has never been popular with private boaters, and this looks far more like a boat built for a hire fleet to me, where an attempt is made to fit larger "picture" windows to the front.

I know H&L built for hire fleets, but is this one typical, (anyone know).

Surely a 10mm bottom is pretty unusual back as far as 1984.

Doesn't quite "feel" right to me.

Oh and (on the actual web-site), there isn't a 3-cylinder version of the BMC 1.5 !!

Weird windows ?

Standard fodder for Harbourough / Black Prince / Fernie build hire boats of that sort of time, or a bit earlier. Another thing that says "hire" boat refitted to me, rather than "one careful previous owner".

Thanks you all for your help and replies. Words that are jumping out of my screen at me from your posts are Weird, Strange, Hireboat and doesent quite feel right and of course BMC 1.5 3 Cylinder ??? I guess the next 6 words would read (Wouldn,t touch it with a b***e pole.

Guess I,ll have to keep on looking.

Thanks you all for your help and replies. Words that are jumping out of my screen at me from your posts are Weird, Strange, Hireboat and doesent quite feel right and of course BMC 1.5 3 Cylinder ??? I guess the next 6 words would read (Wouldn,t touch it with a b***e pole.

Guess I,ll have to keep on looking.

I didn't say that!

Hamsterfan's post, (I didn't check that bit), would seem to establish it's Hancock and Lane, but I do suspect from the gunwales and windows it has hire boat origins.

That doesn't preclude it, and frankly "one private owner" boats 25 years old are the exception rather than a norm.

The 3 cylinder description of the BMC is surely no more than the brokers error ? I'm sure the fourth one will be found if you look!

I don't know if H&L genuinely built boats to a 10/6/4 plating spec, but they closed their doors no later than the 1984 date given, and I thought that spec was not in common use that early on. I'm not saying it wasn't ever, but it's worth trying to check if the boat has a 10mm bottom plate.

Other than that I had no strong feelings one way or the other.

According to website its sold ?

John

Hmm! That was quick, I spoke to them yesterday and arranged a viewing for tommorow I suppose i,ll be getting a call from them today.

Missed the boat or what !!!!!!

Hmm! That was quick, I spoke to them yesterday and arranged a viewing for tommorow I suppose i,ll be getting a call from them today.

Missed the boat or what !!!!!!

Lets hope they are saving it for you and you haven't tipped off somebody with your original post, it might be worth giving them a ring rather than waiting for them to contact you'

let us know whats happening Good Luck

John

Lets hope they are saving it for you and you haven't tipped off somebody with your original post, it might be worth giving them a ring rather than waiting for them to contact you'

John

Will do that John.

John

If I did tip somebody off with my original post may I say that I forgot to mention the true plating spec of 1/1/1 and that the clapped out BMC 1.5 was a heavier smoker than Dedrie Barlow, oh! and I almost forgot that she was almost totally submergered for 18months on the trent.

Bitter Me Nah!!!!

Don't be downhearted - this is all part of the fun. Obviously, that wasn't meant to be your boat. When you see the one that is, you'll just know it, and any lists you've made will go out the window!

Good luck!

Thank you Mrs Humdinger, I,m not too downhearted and I will keep looking, Ive learned a lot since joining this forum, and feel a little better armed for the search ahead. there are a couple of boats that I am still interested in. This is a wonderfull forum and all comments good bad or indifferent are gratefully recieved., for that I thank you all and look forward to joining in as a owner.

Alan

Edited by AlanM6

2 open plan layout

4 One owner from new

Dislikes

1 Age 1984

4 No wine cellar

Not sure abouts

Alan.

You missed the wine cellar, its next to the sunken bath!

I think these are the people who formerly traded as "Nottingham Castle Marina". They sold our first boat for us in 2001. They took quite a long time to sell it and did not get a very good price. I think the same "salesman" is still at the helm. So if you're buying, they could be a good bet.

:lol: We were nosing around Mercia Marina yesterday and idly looked at a few boats that were in our price range. Then we saw one that we fell in love with - a Perkins with one of the most unusual and immaculate fitouts I've seen. Only 5 years old, too. Then we realised that it wasn't the £40k boat we were looking at... no, it was £65k!

Really unusual ceiling though - the saloon was done in a diamond pattern with the most immaculate framing you've ever seen. The cabin was done in a similar style but circular, and the galley was different again. Beautiful fitout.

The boat: http://www.merciabrokerage.co.uk/stock_det....asp?bro_no=597

An example of Perkins's joinery (I suspect this is the same boat) http://www.perkinsnarrowboats.co.uk/Page15.htm

Tony