Sealing mushroom vents

DJW

Featured Posts

I'm about to start repainting my boat and will taking the mushroom vents off to tackle some rust creeping underneath them.

When I come to put the mushroom vents back on what do I need to use to seal them to the roof? Presumably they don't just screw back on with nothing to keep the water out....?

Thanks

a clean surface, free from grease or dirt, then 2 beads of silicone around the base before carefully placing, don't wipe the excess off let it dry and then carefully cut the excess off with a stanley/craft blade

thats how i've always done it, never had a leaker!!

a clean surface, free from grease or dirt, then 2 beads of silicone around the base before carefully placing, don't wipe the excess off let it dry and then carefully cut the excess off with a stanley/craft blade

thats how i've always done it, never had a leaker!!

I used the mastic as used for bedding caravan windows on. Like this

Great, plenty of options then! Thanks all. Now I just need to get painting :lol:

Good luck with the repaint. I hope the weather is kind for you.

Have you checked whether all the screws/bolts on the mushroom vents are free and not rusted up?

I wish I had done so before starting my (still in progess) re-paint. It would have given me the chance

to use some penetrating oil in advance and have the right tools to hand............

Phil

(still waiting for that elusive 100% dry day to finish top coating)

Last time I removed the mushrooms I put a bead of silicone round the base and only re-fitted the vents when the silicone had completely set. Hopefully I will get a good seal under compression, and the paint will be unaffected next time I remove the vents. Time will tell.