Breasting up..???

Evo

Featured Posts

Ask our resident lock keeper.

I wasnt present at the event, he met a close friend of ours and aided his passage through an unmanned lock, then proceeded to start gossiping about me. He didnt realise, i suspect, that it would be reported back word for word about 3 hours later.

Did realize just thought it was amusing :lol:

Ask our resident lock keeper.

I wasnt present at the event, he met a close friend of ours and aided his passage through an unmanned lock, then proceeded to start gossiping about me. He didnt realise, i suspect, that it would be reported back word for word about 3 hours later.

Sorry, I failed to realise that aiding the passage of a boat through an unmanned lock was such a faux pas for a BW lock keeper. String him up!

What are you saying phylis, that the very knowledgable and competent BW staff would be so ridiculous as to tell someone to moor on a weir.When you have been made to look silly dont make the matter worse by name calling, back pedalling and resorting to twaddle

No, what i am asking, of all the folks who insist they follow BW requests to the letter, what they would do if lockie suggested going to moor on the weir.

Now that doesnt mean that lockie would, nor that they have.

Did realize just thought it was amusing :lol:

Funnily enough so did Steve. You confimed his views on narrowboaters :lol:

Wonders what she did to make such an impression on him

To smudge, nothing. He and his family have some strange and twisted views on life which have been confirmed by a very good friend.

Sorry, I failed to realise that aiding the passage of a boat through an unmanned lock was such a faux pas for a BW lock keeper. String him up!

Aiding him through the lock was fine, it was what was said whilst aiding him through the lock that isnt.

No, what i am asking, of all the folks who insist they follow BW requests to the letter, what they would do if lockie suggested going to moor on the weir.

Now that doesnt mean that lockie would, nor that they have.

In that case it is a stupid non question.

Phylis always resorts to name calling.

Seems smudge has followed suit as well, only he prefers to do it behind peoples backs.

In that case it is a stupid non question.

Why is it? It is no different to a whole host of other non existant topics that get done to death about non existant issues.

Then your statement is of no use in a debate, as the situation would never happen. So why bother putting it in the first place, Unless you think that many boaters are of such limited intelligence they would follow that request without a backward glance

Then your statement is of no use in a debate, as the situation would never happen. So why bother putting it in the first place, Unless you think that many boaters are of such limited intelligence they would follow that request without a backward glance

No it seems they will follow lockies requests without a thought for the effects though. How bizarre.

Personally as the person in charge of our vessel, neither me not the OH would do anything that we thought put her in danger, regardless of wether instructed to do so by a lockie. After all the master of the vessel is liable for the safe navigation of that vessel not some BW bod stood on the lock wall.

Neither would you breasting up to us with grandkids and the dogs, but hey ho i suppose thats different.

This thread really does just about seem to have beaten all records on re-opening an old much argued topic, and going round in pointless circles to get absolutely nowhere new.

The beard diversion seemed to provide a welcome interlude, giving the opposing parties time to regroup and continue the battle, with renewed vigour, though.

No it seems they will follow lockies requests without a thought for the effects though. How bizarre.

Personally as the person in charge of our vessel, neither me not the OH would do anything that we thought put her in danger, regardless of wether instructed to do so by a lockie. After all the master of the vessel is liable for the safe navigation of that vessel not some BW bod stood on the lock wall.

Since I've had the honour of reading many of your posts over the years I feel that I can be safe in the assumption that you are not stupid. I therefore must assume that you are being deliberately obtuse.

Nobody, except yourself, has mentioned blindly following a lock keepers instructions. All that was being stated was that in the event of a manned lock then the lock keeper has overall control and responsibility. If, to use my previous analogy, a traffic policeman instructed you to drive down a motorway in the wrong direction, of course you would not listen to him. If however, he told you to pull over and park up while an oversized lorry passed you would obey.

Edited by Matthew Knowles

Neither would you breasting up to us with grandkids and the dogs, but hey ho i suppose thats different.

Not really that could happen you never know,But you see, I know that children behave in a loud and annoying manner, which is why I would never have the disrespect to breast up to a boat who may only have a short while for a trip, Why should my way of life be inflicted on some poor soul who just wants to gaze out off their window and enjoy the view.In the same respect I would not want some bud drinking barbie making flag waving party animal (your party) next to me

Seems smudge has followed suit as well, only he prefers to do it behind peoples backs.

Seems a bit harsh bearing in mind what i said dont know what he told you.By the way do you or he know my family???

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt (many here would call me a fool for this) and assume your position is more complex than it is coming across, I might even suggest you've simplified it in interest of clarity

A Severn lock, on a normal day, going up... For the sake of argument, the large lock at Diglis (because it's the worst one)

A few boats start to enter, the fibreglass one first, which heads for the cables in the wall. The lock keeper instructs right hand wall, and then verbally instructs a steel narrow boat to breast up to the GRP cruiser, the GRP cruiser steerer objects...

The GRP is in a poor position, because having the NB on the other side would result in it being thrown at the cruiser with some force rather than being pushed against it while secured. What has gone wrong is that the GRP should have waited, but as the lock keeper can only communicate in this instance with traffic lights he couldn't call craft forward in order. The locky will probably tell the GRP to either put up with it or reverse out and let the steel boat in first (btw, plenty of cruisers round our way are steel, our near neighbours "Welded Bliss" among them). Going dowen, it is unlikely to be a problem

As the lock is under the absolute control of the locky, he also has ultimate responsibility. but his only real sanction is to refuse to operate the lock.

On the canals, there used to be an unspoken code when lock sharing "steel in first". It still applies on the Severn but some GRP owners are a bit enthusiastic. The worst I've seen was five boats going up Gloucester, one a GRP about ten feet wide. When the Locky beckoned a NB to pass the GRP and make secure further up the lock, the steerer of the GRP protested, then locky let forth a string of invective that amounted to "you shouldn't have overtaken them at the railway bridge, and they can't fit in behind you" (This wasn't even breasting up, the NB was to breast to us). Gloucester Lock is 24 feet wide, easily enough for a NB to pass a GRP

I've only twice argued with a lock keeper, once in Gloucester, he was right, I begrudgingly followed his instructions to secure towards the lower end of the lock (where the cables are awkwardly placed for us) unaware that the Edward Elgar was waiting to come down and he was going to lift all four gate paddles immediately in a lock of some 12-14 foot rise. The other occasion was at a two rise when the locky told me I didn't need to fill the upper chamber first, and he didn't want me to because of a water shortage. When he refused to give his name and produce ID I ignored him

Seems a bit harsh bearing in mind what i said dont know what he told you.By the way do you or he know my family???

Yes we have sat in a pub for a drink but you didnt know who we were and we didnt know who you were at that time. We realised after seeing your boat the next morning when we left.

If you paint your cat's nose black, you and Matthew will have matching avatars.

Haha. Maybe we should introduce them? Twm enjoys, erm, playing tag with cats.

10 out of 10 for the diversionary tactics though!

I have just painted my cats nose black with a marker pen

he has right got the hump :lol:

Oh dear! A cat who's got the hump, that is one dangerous animal. The only animal more dangerous is a woman who's got the hump!

Edited by Matthew Knowles

If you paint your cat's nose black, you and Matthew will have matching avatars.

In "Adolph Hitler: My Part in his Downfall" there is a splendid description of a fight on a dancefloor. Spike and his band, to enliven the appearance of the fight, would occasionally throw cakes and puddings into the melee, resulting in officers wearing cream and trifle.

Another jam doughnut Carl?

Richard

Not really that could happen you never know,But you see, I know that children behave in a loud and annoying manner, which is why I would never have the disrespect to breast up to a boat who may only have a short while for a trip, Why should my way of life be inflicted on some poor soul who just wants to gaze out off their window and enjoy the view.In the same respect I would not want some bud drinking barbie making flag waving party animal (your party) next to me

It is pretty obvious when our group is in party mode. If someone wants to raft up and join in they are more than welcome. We would not inflict this on others. and wouldnt raft to other boats knowing we are to have a party. What we do however is warn others at the mooring of our intentions. They then have the choice of staying and perhaps joining us or moving on. They have been forewarned.

I really dont see you making it down this way so you will never get the chance to impose your children on us, so yes, your situation is as likely to happen as mine.

Someones wish to sit and gaze out of a window is no excuse for refusing to raft up.

In "Adolph Hitler: My Part in his Downfall" there is a splendid description of a fight on a dancefloor. Spike and his band, to enliven the appearance of the fight, would occasionally throw cakes and puddings into the melee, resulting in officers wearing cream and trifle.

Richard

Spike top man!!!

Richard

Off topic but I watched a programme about Spike not long ago, Made me see just how funny he really was.