Found myself afloat and out of work

FORTUNATA

Featured Posts

I reckon there'll be a few more like him soon. I can see the cut having many more liveaboards too when the Condems have had their fun.

He has now been served a notice that he is breaking bylaws by camping in the park.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/8485851.Homeless_man_told_not_to_pitch_his_tent_in_Brighton_park/

I've seen one or two water tinkers. Some have tiny steel boats around 25 foot, outboard power and a simple 12 volt battery and that's it. Cosy inside of course but small. Then I've seen the odd kip-a-board, namely people who smoke a bit of weed and so forth and doss out on some abandoned fibreglass boat, under a bridge.

As it is, my family seem to think I'm on the brink as well. My boat is smallish and no central heating yet, in all honesty, I've had room temp close to 100 Fareheight which is warmer than in a house.

He has now been served a notice that he is breaking bylaws by camping in the park.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/8485851.Homeless_man_told_not_to_pitch_his_tent_in_Brighton_park/

You may have something with the bikes. Our Marina is just a mile away from the centre of a small village and we are blessed with a charcter known as "The Bike Doctor" He is a retired chap who supplements his pension by buying and doing up bikes. He fits new tyres ensures they are mechanically sound and sells them from his gate. He also does repairs, mend punctures, adjusts brakes etc etc. Very reasonable prices, cheap enough for people not to bother doing stuff themselves, I myself bought a nice MTB recently new tyres,good brakes, just right for popping upto the village for a paper or whatever, cost me £45-00, bargain.

Good luck

Phil

Interesting that, as a coincidence we were moored next to the 'Floating Bike Shop' at Stockton - presumably a local-ish boater who appears to buy/sell/repair bikes from his boat.

PC

I ought to have a mountain bike for getting about rather than my road bike. One of the most difficult mechanical tasks I face is putting the tyres back on. Some road bike tyres are so tight I broke all my tyre levers, bent others and had to use a wrench to finally get the last inch of tyre on the wheel. I've no idea why they're made that way but MTB tyres are easy. I've also done bottom brackets and fitted chains. I also use cable bike wire on my Lister engine. It works well in the casing if you file the shifter head down a bit.

You may have something with the bikes. Our Marina is just a mile away from the centre of a small village and we are blessed with a charcter known as "The Bike Doctor" He is a retired chap who supplements his pension by buying and doing up bikes. He fits new tyres ensures they are mechanically sound and sells them from his gate. He also does repairs, mend punctures, adjusts brakes etc etc. Very reasonable prices, cheap enough for people not to bother doing stuff themselves, I myself bought a nice MTB recently new tyres,good brakes, just right for popping upto the village for a paper or whatever, cost me £45-00, bargain.

Good luck

Phil

Edited by FORTUNATA

I know several people who are cc'ers and are self employed, their meagre income made up to the minimum required by law by Working Tax Credits. Some of these people have registered as 'Traders', which, if you look closely, costs little more than a normal license, but means that ALL fuel is at the domestic rate.

Could be worth investigating

I was joking today about the idea of a floating barbers since I cut my own hair on the boat. It turned out a bit rough with a lot of people pointing to a few missed patches. I asked the ladies if they fancied coming on board where they could pay a fiver for "short back and sides". I got the electric shaver some time ago from Tesco.

I know several people who are cc'ers and are self employed, their meagre income made up to the minimum required by law by Working Tax Credits. Some of these people have registered as 'Traders', which, if you look closely, costs little more than a normal license, but means that ALL fuel is at the domestic rate.

Could be worth investigating

Just arrived in Leeds, drove my narrowboat there from London. But it looks like there's not much work available up here. My wife's looking for a social work job but councils are cutting staff. This isn't an ideal time to have left London!

Luckily I'm a freelancer and can do most of my work (web design) online without having to be in the same town as the client, but freelance work has dried up lately because most of my clients are public/voluntary sector and they're facing cuts.

At least if you live on a boat the bills are cheaper than a house, and you can travel to where the work is.

I was joking today about the idea of a floating barbers since I cut my own hair on the boat. It turned out a bit rough with a lot of people pointing to a few missed patches. I asked the ladies if they fancied coming on board where they could pay a fiver for "short back and sides". I got the electric shaver some time ago from Tesco.

There's a floating hairdresser on the western K&A!

• 3 weeks later...

You can either be IT support or head waiter

Richard

Room for one more - I'm a time served shipwright & spent 15 years in the company's rigging shop so splicing, ropework is second nature. Also handy with PC's, satellite dishes etc. Please keep me in mind if anyone goes on the critical list.

Also the domain name www.WotNiceSmellyFortuLemonRLWPAngeCheesenFavourgeekPudding.co.uk is available.

Can't help wondering what the company website will look like ;)

Clivo

Edited by Clivo

This thread is hilarious, (though I hope that the original poster has now found employment.)

Seriously though; It seems that people "Living Aboard" have all the skills required to form a community based on "Barter". Maybe with our own "Standard Currency", (Skill Hours?)

I'm new to the Boating Community, (I haven't yet bought a Narrowboat but it's been my dream for years.)

I'm an Electrical Engineer and also competent tradesman in Plumbing, Carpentry, Mechanics, and "General Maintenance", I used to work as a Foreman/Tradesman for a "Porto-Cabin" company. I would love to see a Community page where people could offer their skills to other members, maybe the Mods could set one up.

John. (oh, btw, May I bee the first to wish you all a "Happy Christmas" :cheers:

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

I too am in the throes of building a boat and am out of work.

Have a few feathers in my cap but not exactly sure how to advertise them in order to find odd jobs here and there.

Any hints could be great.

Are your skills useful to boaters? If so tell us where you are/prepared to travel. What type of jobs you are looking for?

Sue