Heeling over in lock

nb Innisfree

Featured Posts

Coming up Barrowford locks on the L&L today I was on the right of another nb as lock was filling and about halfway up our boat began to heel over, quite alarmingly, to the left/port side and then suddenly righted itself, twice in succession. I have never experienced this before, quite scary, occasionally we have caught a projection but that tips boat towards the projection when rising, this tipped the other way. Perhaps it was an up rush of water from ground paddle? It's our first time in these particular locks, is it a peculiarity of them, anyone had similar experience?

Edited by nb Innisfree

Coming up Barrowford locks on the L&L today I was on the right of another nb as lock was filling and about halfway up our boat began to heel over, quite alarmingly, to the left/port side and then suddenly righted itself, twice in succession. I have never experienced this before, quite scary, occasionally we have caught a projection but that tips boat towards the projection when rising, this tipped the other way. Perhaps it was an up rush of water from ground paddle? It's our first time in these particular locks, is it a peculiarity of them, anyone had similar experience?

Only trouble I have had in Barrowford was with some feral kids a few years ago. No probs. with the locks themselves. Seems odd it tipped the opposite way to normal?

Got snagged coming up the Grindley Brooke staircase lock. That was a bit squeeky bum, but thankfully she came loose before anything nasty happened.

After getting the same offending fender-eye snagged again going up the Bosley Flight I had it removed!

Got snagged coming up the Grindley Brooke staircase lock. That was a bit squeeky bum, but thankfully she came loose before anything nasty happened.

After getting the same offending fender-eye snagged again going up the Bosley Flight I had it removed!

:lol:

OOer, Fenders in locks........nnnoooooooooooooooo never ever ever in any size lock with any size boat surely not

Had it happen to me once about 18 years ago in one of the Shroppie wide canals- can't remeber if it was Wharton, Beeston Stone or Tilstone. I think it was only the side doors swinging open and hitting the roof of the cruiser next to me that stopped it being any worse.

What was really stupid was that I stepped along the gunwale looking down to see if I could see anything. We raised the water level and emptied again without further problems. After the lock that filled the old chap in the cruiser called to me and said "please, never do that again. If the boat had dropped off whatever it was holding up on, the roof would have swung inwards and crushed you between it and the lock side".

Thus is the inexperience of (not so) youth.

Edited by dor

OOer, Fenders in locks........nnnoooooooooooooooo never ever ever in any size lock with any size boat surely not

It would be helpful if Chris could confirm whether or nor he had fenders down in Grindley Brook and/or Bosley.

There is a big difference in width between those locks.

I know a lot of people leave fenders down in locks but personally I think that is asking for problems. Permanently

dangling fenders do more damage to the hull coating than a few scrapes on masonry.

Only trouble I have had in Barrowford was with some feral kids a few years ago. No probs. with the locks themselves. Seems odd it tipped the opposite way to normal?

Yes it was very odd, no sensation of catching on any thing and when it recovered there was no noise or feeling to indicate catching on anything, felt like something pushing stb side up or sucking port side down. I didn't shout a warning as I couldn't work out what was happening and it corrected itself before I could shout anyway.

It would be helpful if Chris could confirm whether or nor he had fenders down in Grindley Brook and/or Bosley.

There is a big difference in width between those locks.

I know a lot of people leave fenders down in locks but personally I think that is asking for problems. Permanently

dangling fenders do more damage to the hull coating than a few scrapes on masonry.

I can confirm that one most certainly did NOT have my fenders on whilst in a lock.

It was, as I said, the Fender Eye that got caught. I thought I had a picture on-line of the offending eye, but, like the eye itself, I appear to have deleted it.

EDIT TO ADD - My original Thread on the topic

And the image, which I thought I'd put on Photobucket.

gallery_3070_288_9097.jpg

Edited by Chris J W

We went up and down Barrowford Locks last year and didn't experience anything like that. Very strange (and I'm sure very unsettling!)

He said fender EYE.

Christ your quick !! I had seen the words fender eye but surely not even fender eyes should be fitted as this makes people who have little knowledge of when to use fenders ( Only when moored ) tie fenders to them and leave them attached all the time which is without question a BIG NO NO............